EDC Fixed Blade Discussion

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Hopweaver

Re: EDC Fixed Blade Discussion

Post by Hopweaver »

TomAiello wrote:I just picked up a Bradford Guardian 3 in Vanadis 4e (Bohler's version of 4V). I've been carrying it daily for the past week or so, in preference to folders.

So far, I freakin' love it. Great ergonomics, great steel, great knife.

http://bradfordknives.com/guardian-3/41 ... is-4e.html
I have a two Bradford G3s as well. I agree, it is a great knife!
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Liked the Landi EDC enough to get a second. This one has a rougher texture to the scales, it's nice.
:unicorn
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I was given a Miltner Adams fixie by my uncle a while back. It's a really weird blade, you sharpen it at zero degrees. It's blade stock is super thick, but it cuts surprisingly well. Had a friend of mine make a kydex sheath with a clip on it and I occasionally carry it in sketchy areas. It's quite comfortable to hold even though it's basically just a skeleton with no real scales or anything of the like.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Knivesinedc wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:58 pm
I was given a Miltner Adams fixie by my uncle a while back. It's a really weird blade, you sharpen it at zero degrees. It's blade stock is super thick, but it cuts surprisingly well. Had a friend of mine make a kydex sheath with a clip on it and I occasionally carry it in sketchy areas. It's quite comfortable to hold even though it's basically just a skeleton with no real scales or anything of the like.

I think boker has a cheap production version of that design. It's pretty interesting.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:34 pm
Knivesinedc wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:58 pm

I think boker has a cheap production version of that design. It's pretty interesting.
They do! Although I have the shorter version. Böker makes a version of the longer model.
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Liked the Landi EDC enough to get a second. This one has a rougher texture to the scales, it's nice.
I have the same knife and it is great for the price. I use it a lot.

I also use an ESEE 4 and a 6 and just picked up a Buck 102 and a 103 on clearance. The ESEE 6 only gets EDC-ed in the woods, but all the others will get carried.
vivi

Post by vivi »

SharpieB wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:07 am
Vivi wrote:

I have the same knife and it is great for the price. I use it a lot.

I also use an ESEE 4 and a 6 and just picked up a Buck 102 and a 103 on clearance. The ESEE 6 only gets EDC-ed in the woods, but all the others will get carried.
I've really enjoyed the Landi. Nice ergos and blade shape. I have a PSK coming sometime this month. Figured something a bit smaller and lighter with similar features could be nice during the summer.

ESEE's are nice, I might pick up an ESEE 3 or Izula 2 sometime this year to add to my rotation. Loved the Izula but the handle was a bit short for my hands, so the 2 sounds perfect.

Lately this Shadow Tech Hiker has been dominating my EDC. I usually carry bigger knives but this thing is so handy. Carried in my usual position, horizontal on my belt between my buckle and right pocket, I can't even tell it's there. Came with a stupid thick edge, but now that I have it thinned out a bit and shaving sharp it's fun to use. Probably going to strip the coating off the blade at some point, and thin the bevel out a bit more.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have both the Izula and Izula II. The original fits in my pocket better but the II fits my hand better. It is a tradeoff. I carry the original more...well, I did till I gave it to my wife to carry. I haven't seen it since. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

I just got my first Izula 2 today and I'm thinking this is the one.

There's a lot of little things I like about it compared to some of the other knives I bought....

Full flat grind

Actually came sharp and fairly thin at the edge

The overall shape is curved a bit, like a Military, instead of a straight bar

The micarta is nice and rough

Full four finger grip

Sheath has very good retention

Nice and light

I'm already considering ordering a back-up, along with some custom scales.

https://www.theknifeconnection.net/esee ... -layering/

If anyone has suggestions on some simple black canvas micarta scales I'd be interested.

Now it's time to post some of the others up for sale :p
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Vivi wrote:

Hi Vivi, I've also purchased a couple of his knives lately. Good grinds, good in the hand, and received sharp. What does he call that model? How long is the blade, and what steel is used? Went to his site but didn't show this knife. Hoping the WaterWay will be my next fixed blade. Thanks
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

So satisfied have I been with my knives from ESEE (and from Blind Horse>LT Wright) that I have felt no urge to divert what I spend on Spyderco's folders to its fixed blades...until the WaterWay.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tdog wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:22 am
Vivi wrote:

Hi Vivi, I've also purchased a couple of his knives lately. Good grinds, good in the hand, and received sharp. What does he call that model? How long is the blade, and what steel is used? Went to his site but didn't show this knife. Hoping the WaterWay will be my next fixed blade. Thanks
It's the EDC model. The blade is about 3.5", maybe a bit less. A2 steel. The model was recently discontinued but the MPS is almost the same knife judging from pictures. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/all ... k.1560509/

Easiest thing to do would email him directly and see if he still has any EDC model blanks left. I did that when I ordered my PSK. Collectorknives has some PSK's and other Landi models still listed but I think they're all out of EDC's.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

My lightweight backpack knife, or at least until Spyderco makes something better. Eskabar in D-2. 2.8oz without Kydex sheath; 4.0 oz with. Too much belly for my taste, would prefer a leaf-shaped blade. I like that the handle is optional, to reduce weight. Can always cord-wrap.
Attachments
Eskabar 2.8 oz.jpg
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Of the knives I've designed and built so far, this is the one that I purely designed to be an all-around EDC carry. I kept it compact while still having a full handle and the blade is just under 3" to keep it legal in most places. I call it the Ojisa and the one in the picture is Vanax.

Since backpacking and exploring wilderness areas has been my favorite hobby since I was a kid, the "wilderness experience" has always been the perspective from which I tend to view all knife designs. I like to carry a small knife to handle the majority of the little cutting tasks that arise in addition to a larger knife for wood/fire tasks. After having had a few years to work on other sizes and designs now, I came back to the small "trail companion" idea and designed myself a new one based on a few specific changes I found myself wanting while I was on the trail.
My original small trail companion: I call the Tolokot

The new design incorporates a more acute tip to make piercing a fish belly easier when cleaning a trout. The spine is rounded at the tip for comfort and sharp-square near the handle for striking a ferro-rod. The handle angle provides finger clearance so the entire blade can be used on a horizontal surface when preparing food. The blade stock is thinner than the previous design to improve salami, cheese, and apple slicing ability and to reduce weight. I just finished making 4 for my family so I could put them in each of our Christmas stockings this year. These have leather pocket sheaths this time.
This design I call the Coop:
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Do you mill out those rounded junctions in the handle scales, or are you hand sanding and fitting them?

I love that c-tek strip set off by white. I'm totally stealing that for my next one. ;)

I really like the looks of that Coop. I'm discovering that I really like very tall blades because they let me maximize slicing ability even on small knives.
Last edited by TomAiello on Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Mule is a good one imo.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:56 pm
Do you mil out those rounded junctions in the handle scales, or are you hand sanding and fitting them?

I love that c-tek strip set off by white. I'm totally stealing that for my next one. ;)

I really like the looks of that Coop. I'm discovering that I really like very tall blades because they let me maximize slicing ability even on small knives.
I hand cut and sand the inside radius pieces while they're pinned together and use them as a stencil to grind and hand sand the outside radius pieces until they fit together.

Thank you. I like a fair amount of blade height because it allows me more room to manipulate the bevel geometry. I also like it for spreading peanut butter. ;)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Xplorer wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:20 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:56 pm
Do you mil out those rounded junctions in the handle scales, or are you hand sanding and fitting them?

I hand cut and sand the inside radius pieces while they're pinned together and use them as a stencil to grind and hand sand the outside radius pieces until they fit together.

Thank you. I like a fair amount of blade height because it allows me more room to manipulate the bevel geometry. I also like it for spreading peanut butter. ;)

Where do I send the money for a Coop ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:00 am

Where do I send the money for a Coop ;)
;) That's very nice of you :) . Eventually I hope to find time to make some that I can offer through my Instagram page but I have no idea when that might be. :o

Since we just had our first rain since April, I took a Coop out for a little hike to check the local trail conditions yesterday. :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

Xplorer wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:42 pm
Of the knives I've designed and built so far, this is the one that I purely designed to be an all-around EDC carry. I kept it compact while still having a full handle and the blade is just under 3" to keep it legal in most places. I call it the Ojisa and the one in the picture is Vanax.

Since backpacking and exploring wilderness areas has been my favorite hobby since I was a kid, the "wilderness experience" has always been the perspective from which I tend to view all knife designs. I like to carry a small knife to handle the majority of the little cutting tasks that arise in addition to a larger knife for wood/fire tasks. After having had a few years to work on other sizes and designs now, I came back to the small "trail companion" idea and designed myself a new one based on a few specific changes I found myself wanting while I was on the trail.
My original small trail companion: I call the Tolokot

The new design incorporates a more acute tip to make piercing a fish belly easier when cleaning a trout. The spine is rounded at the tip for comfort and sharp-square near the handle for striking a ferro-rod. The handle angle provides finger clearance so the entire blade can be used on a horizontal surface when preparing food. The blade stock is thinner than the previous design to improve salami, cheese, and apple slicing ability and to reduce weight. I just finished making 4 for my family so I could put them in each of our Christmas stockings this year. These have leather pocket sheaths this time.
This design I call the Coop:
I really like the look of that coop. What are the handle dimensions?

ps thanks for bumping this thread, it was fun reading over it again. Been a long time since myheavily modded Izula 2 felt new.