EDC Fixed Blade Discussion

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Re: EDC Fixed Blade Discussion

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Vivi wrote:I'd love to see the temp 1 come back. Might be a bit big for me to EDC, but I'd certainly find a use for it.
I do remember you saying that you also liked that TEMP 1 model. Hey Vivi what would you think of Spyderco bringing back the TEMP 1 in either H-1 or preferably in LC200N with those newer TEK-LOK Sheaths that Blade-Tech made for them in both SE & PE? I think the TEMP 1 in LC200N in both edge types would be a very affordable outdoor, all purpose fixed blade that virtually anyone could love to use IMO.

I would be buying two of each edge type if they did. Or if they would make the plain edge Salt TEMP 1 in LC200N and make the Spyderedged version in H-1. That would indeed be a dream come true. I've talked to a few of the guys recently that also love the older TEMP 1 model better than some of these newer models. I've always liked it much better than the TEMP 2>> mainly because it's one of the only few fixed blade Spyders that you could get in both edge types. And if you've ever had a TEMP 1 in Spyderedge you would quickly see what I mean. Great thread Vivi with some very interesting responses. Because I am hearing about more guys EDCing fixed blades lately ;)

I think the Temp 1 in either of those steels would be an instant classic JD. I think it would also be neat to see it offered in a carbon steel like O1 or 1095.

If they released it in either of those steels I'd buy one in each edge type too.

Fixed blades have been replacing folders for me. I like tge combo of my Landi A2 EDC and a Leatherman Rebar. Very versatile pair of tools. They're both super useful outdoors too. Throw an axe in my pack and my bases are well covered.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Here is the sheath for my Landi. I took this kydex clip off another knife then drilled a hole in the sheath. Clips right on to my belt between my buckle and belt loop. I tightened the sheath up with a heat gun so its extremely secure. I can full on sprint down a mountain and it's not going anywhere.

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’ve been considering a fixed blade for edc ever since the CBSA decided to try and backside ban folders into Canada. I’m still undecided on what knife to chose. The Bradford Guardian 3 is pretty high on my list. Tonight I found this knife, TOPS Al Mar Mini SERE. It’s neat looking but not as functional as an EDC.

Off the top of my hand I can’t think of a fixed blade that Spyderco makes solely for EDC. I guess a mule would work.

Also looking at the GiantMouse GMF1:

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

My mules and scales will be here Thursday should get them finished Friday. I'll try to figure out how to post pics when they're done.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Street Beat and Enuff are both good general EDC designs. The street beat is a great blade shape for the role, its very light, and can be carried many ways.

If you can find a Swick 4 those are nice too if you don't mind a shorter blade.

Ronin 2 is awesome if you're ok with a wharncliffe. Lots of cutting edge compared to its OAL, vey good slicing geometry with the thin hollow grind, pointy tip, and the thin flat scales make it carry well.

If you want something ultra light, unobtrusive & non-threatening, try an Ark. I ran some paracord through the sheath and carried horizontally on a belt I don't even feel its there. Pretty sure it weighs less than my belt buckle. Very handy for common EDC stuff like popping open a package, opening mail, trimming threads etc. Bit small for food prep and heavy duty work, but it's a capable little guy.

Mules are a great option since there are so many steels to choose from. I'm thinking about making an LC200N & Micarta Mule for IWB summer carry. Nice general purpose blade with a full sized handle. Pretty utilitarian looking IMO.

Nice thing is any of these models can be had for about $100, or less.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Here's my two most carried FB's these days.

vivi

Post by vivi »

One of the reasons I moved to fixed blade EDC is stuff like this. I go camping very frequently, often times twice a week. While I was out last night getting prepared to cook dinner I came across a stump of perfect fatwood. This stuff takea a flame so well.

Instead of having to walk back to camp for my chopper, I just reached down to my belt, grabbed my EDC, and started batoning and prying chunks of fatwood.

Ended up taking less than 1/10 the stump and already have half a years supply, if not more.

hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Vivi wrote:One of the reasons I moved to fixed blade EDC is stuff like this. I go camping very frequently, often times twice a week. While I was out last night getting prepared to cook dinner I came across a stump of perfect fatwood. This stuff takea a flame so well.

Instead of having to walk back to camp for my chopper, I just reached down to my belt, grabbed my EDC, and started batoning and prying chunks of fatwood.

Ended up taking less than 1/10 the stump and already have half a years supply, if not more.

This is great. The Landi is looking really good.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Sjucaveman wrote:My mules and scales will be here Thursday should get them finished Friday. I'll try to figure out how to post pics when they're done.
Here's what I did so far, sheath coming later today.
Hope it works.
Adam
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Adam
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Sjucaveman wrote:Image

Better?

I did this by taking the image url and placing it between the [img ][ /img] tags (with the extra spaces removed) like you did the first time.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Do they blow up when clicked?
Adam
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

hoimin wrote:
Vivi wrote:
This is great. The Landi is looking really good.
so does the fatwood. :D What a chunk! :eek:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Went back for more :D

SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Were I to EDC a fixed blade, it would be my MicroMelt Mule mod..... or the Street Beat. Both great for everyday tasks - cutting string, opening boxes edc ... , I mean etc.

SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Vivi wrote:Here's my two most carried FB's these days.

The Ronin rocks.

I need to get one.

Big fan of the knives of MJ.

My Yo2s are cardboard box killers.

hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Sjucaveman wrote:Do they blow up when clicked?
Not automatically.

You’ll have to wrap the img tag stuff with URL tags.

[ url=Full size image url ][ img ]thumbnail url[ /img ][ /url ]

Most image hosting sites provide share links that handle this for you. Your first image did it perfectly.
vivi

Post by vivi »

SpyderScout wrote:
Vivi wrote:Here's my two most carried FB's these days.

The Ronin rocks.

I need to get one.

Big fan of the knives of MJ.

My Yo2s are cardboard box killers.

The Ronin is really nice. Didn't expect to end up carrying it as much as I do, but being thin, flat and light makes it very practical. If you dig the yojimbo you'll love the ronin. The handle feels a little better with no clip or gap, and there's a bit more blade. Cuts very nicely!
vivi

Post by vivi »

SpyderScout wrote:Were I to EDC a fixed blade, it would be my MicroMelt Mule mod..... or the Street Beat. Both great for everyday tasks - cutting string, opening boxes edc ... , I mean etc.

The Street Beat makes a nice EDC. I was thinking about picking up the lightweight version in fact.

Did you shorten the handle because you intend to always use the index finger choil? I'd miss having a four finger grip behind the choil if I were carrying a mule. I've been toying with the idea of putting together an LC200N Mule.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm going to have to get a better photo of it, but my Shadow Tech Hiker came in! Green Micarta, drop pont tip, no sharpening choil and a nice kydex sheath for about $58. It came with a very thick edge so I'm working on thinning it out. Might strip the coating on the blade too, and let the 1095 patina.

This has been my setup lately. Digging it!