EDC Fixed Blade Discussion

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

EDC Fixed Blade Discussion

Post by vivi »

This is a thread for all things regarding EDC fixed blades. Any company or maker welcome.

I will start us off with a fixed blade I recently traded for. This is an L.T. Wright Pro Hunter in D2.

The previous owner put a thin, polished edge on it that cuts very well. I love the way this knife handles.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Re: EDC Fixed Blade Discussion

Post by TomAiello »

I just picked up a Bradford Guardian 3 in Vanadis 4e (Bohler's version of 4V). I've been carrying it daily for the past week or so, in preference to folders.

So far, I freakin' love it. Great ergonomics, great steel, great knife.

http://bradfordknives.com/guardian-3/41 ... is-4e.html
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Oh, and carrying horizontally right beside my belt buckle is both very convenient and very unobtrusive. The knife pretty much disappears under a light coat.
vivi

Post by vivi »

TomAiello wrote:Oh, and carrying horizontally right beside my belt buckle is both very convenient and very unobtrusive. The knife pretty much disappears under a light coat.
That's how I like to carry mine as well. Smaller knives go between my belt buckle and belt loop so the sheath can't slide around. Bigger knives go on my hip.

Those guardians look nice. I thought about trying one.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I also prefer horizontal carry for small fixed blades. Here's one of my favorites, a Tom Krein TK-11 B&T in carbon fiber and 3V.
0609001640.jpg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I have many, many FBs.. But the L.T. Wright Patriot is one of my favorites!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I sometimes carry a custom D2 skinner, but most often, when I carry a fixed blade, I carry an Izula in my front pocket. It disappears but the sheath flies off when I need it. I plan on getting a stainless version one of these days (If Spyderco will stop taking my money!).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am considering getting a new Buck fixed blade, this one here:

https://www.buckknives.com/product/0685 ... 0685FAM01/

What do you think based on the posted specs? I saw this for sale at 19.95. I think you mentioned it elsewhere, Doc.

It is made in the USA and the steel and design seems good and the blade length is not too long and not too short.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I am considering getting a new Buck fixed blade, this one here:

https://www.buckknives.com/product/0685 ... 0685FAM01/

What do you think based on the posted specs? I saw this for sale at 19.95. I think you mentioned it elsewhere, Doc.

It is made in the USA and the steel and design seems good and the blade length is not too long and not too short.
I like it.. I plan on getting the small version some time this yr!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I really like the idea of a fixed blade for EDC, even in the office. I've tried the Featherweight Fox River out in pocket carry for a couple of days and while it is perfectly sized for its intended uses and super comfortable, it is unfortunately too long with the default sheath in pocket carry, and definitely not going to be kosher for belt carry in an office environment.

If I worked at a knife company or store, this would probably be NBD.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Contacted a custom maker last night about a thin, lightweight EDC fixed blade. About to call him right now as he emailed me back immediately about options.

Planning on...
2mm stock, FFG
3" blade and a full 3 finger grip, much like a Caly 3 in proportion.
Hollow pins & I'm not sure about handles yet.
I'm super excited to get one of his pieces after 8 years of procrastination.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I'm waiting to see how my lc200n mule turns out after it and the scales get here. Might try it for a week and see how it feels.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

xceptnl wrote: Planning on...
2mm stock, FFG
This is a good plan. It's hard to find a small production fixed blade at 2mm stock (preferrably in a steel that can handle it).
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

hoimin wrote:
xceptnl wrote: Planning on...
2mm stock, FFG
This is a good plan. It's hard to find a small production fixed blade at 2mm stock (preferrably in a steel that can handle it).
I'm hoping to talk him into a high hollow grind
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

xceptnl wrote: I'm hoping to talk him into a high hollow grind
!! at 2mm stock, that'll be a pretty tall order; it might be transparent in the middle! My littlest folder is a hollow grind and it's about 2.25-2.3 mm, and I think the Chris Reeve Mnandi is thereabouts as well.
vivi

Post by vivi »

This has been my EDC recently. A2 blade, micarta handles, kydex sheath with a horizontal clip for carrying on the front of my belt. Really love this design. Slim, light and comfortable with a very practical design.

I carry the Landi EDC outside of work. On the clock I carry my Ronin 2.

Sjucaveman wrote:I'm waiting to see how my lc200n mule turns out after it and the scales get here. Might try it for a week and see how it feels.
I was thinking about building an LC200N mule too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK I know that a lot of you have heard me recommend this Spyderco fixed blade many times in the past and I don't want to make it sound like an LP record with a bad scratch in it>>> but again I can't say enough about the old, original Spyderco TEMPERANCE 1 model from back in 2004-2005. It was one of the very few Spyders that they made available in SE & PE both.

Ever since I got both edge types of that great Spyderco fixed blade model there hardly hasn't been even a week go by that I haven't used it for something. With the VG-10 blade you just can't go wrong and the "Tek-Lok" sheath that I got with both of mine is really versatile and you can carry it in about every configuration you can think of.

I can also put in a good word for the Spyderco STREETBEAT model for an EDC fixed blade. But again the TEMP 1 is one of the very few that you could get in PE & SE both. I can't think of another fixed blade I would want to use more than the TEMP 1.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wow you all have great taste in EDC fixed blade knives, I am truly impressed. Sjucaveman, please keep us updated on the progress of the Lc200N Mule Team and how it works out for you.

I am now going to EDC a MoraKniv 546 Blue Plastic Handled and Sheathed Stainless Steel fixed blade and let you know how it works out.

Here is the official page on this knife:

https://morakniv.se/en/product/basic-546/
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd love to see the temp 1 come back. Might be a bit big for me to EDC, but I'd certainly find a use for it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:I'd love to see the temp 1 come back. Might be a bit big for me to EDC, but I'd certainly find a use for it.
I do remember you saying that you also liked that TEMP 1 model. Hey Vivi what would you think of Spyderco bringing back the TEMP 1 in either H-1 or preferably in LC200N with those newer TEK-LOK Sheaths that Blade-Tech made for them in both SE & PE? I think the TEMP 1 in LC200N in both edge types would be a very affordable outdoor, all purpose fixed blade that virtually anyone could love to use IMO.

I would be buying two of each edge type if they did. Or if they would make the plain edge Salt TEMP 1 in LC200N and make the Spyderedged version in H-1. That would indeed be a dream come true. I've talked to a few of the guys recently that also love the older TEMP 1 model better than some of these newer models. I've always liked it much better than the TEMP 2>> mainly because it's one of the only few fixed blade Spyders that you could get in both edge types. And if you've ever had a TEMP 1 in Spyderedge you would quickly see what I mean. Great thread Vivi with some very interesting responses. Because I am hearing about more guys EDCing fixed blades lately ;)