Lost my best friend today...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
murphjd25

Re: Lost my best friend today...

Post by murphjd25 »

Sorry for your loss Boats. It’s always hard to lose a beloved animal and family friend.
Josh
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am very sorry for your loss. I always felt that this is not fear that our best friends have so short life.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:I am very sorry for your loss. I always felt that this is not fear that our best friends have so short life.
It certainly isn't fair Roman
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

xceptnl wrote:
bh49 wrote:I am very sorry for your loss. I always felt that this is not fear that our best friends have so short life.
I too certainly agree that it isn't fair. I would say that the unfairness is somewhat offset by the absolute loyalty and joy that they provide while they are with us.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
xceptnl wrote:
I too certainly agree that it isn't fair. I would say that the unfairness is somewhat offset by the absolute loyalty and joy that they provide while they are with us.
Unfortunately, that is the price we pay for absolute loyalty.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Sorry for your loss, always hard to loose such a loyal friend.
By having the young dog some traits will have rubbed off.

I have a 12 year old dog that's hanging on with arthritis medicine and know it's going to be a sad day once Boney leaves for the leash free park in the sky. Should have called him shadow as he follows me everywhere. We spoil him lately and donate all old sheets bowls and toys to the local animal shelter.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

oh man I am so sorry and you have my sincere compassion for what you and your family had to go through on this.

:(

I and others are here for you as best as we can be.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Very sad for your loss. Will keep you and your family in my prayers. My in-laws just recently went through a similar situation with their beloved Bassett hound. It is like losing a member of the family...
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Sorry to hear of yours and your wife's loss. Dogs are certainly a special member of the family.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Capt'n Boatsalot

Guys, thank you all for the kind words and prayers. We are getting used to our new normal. It's challenging, but we're making it work. Really appreciate everyone's thoughts/concerns.
mad german

Post by mad german »

I'm so sorry to hear this, but you gave her a wonderful life. Like all lives, they must end eventually. Take comfort in knowing how much she loved you for giving her all that you did. Part of the deal with having pets is experiencing what you just had to go through. I think we've all been through it before, but it is never easy. Our dogs are 13, 13, 12, (all large dogs) and 10 (small guy). We've got a very rough couple/few years coming up, I can feel it.....
My collection is ever changing!
Capt'n Boatsalot

mad german wrote:I'm so sorry to hear this, but you gave her a wonderful life. Like all lives, they must end eventually. Take comfort in knowing how much she loved you for giving her all that you did. Part of the deal with having pets is experiencing what you just had to go through. I think we've all been through it before, but it is never easy. Our dogs are 13, 13, 12, (all large dogs) and 10 (small guy). We've got a very rough couple/few years coming up, I can feel it.....
Hey MG,
Thanks for the kind words. Agree especially with the bolded part. She did have a great life, and as I've looked back at various photos over the last week or so, I've been reminded frequently that we had some great adventures in together. And I've been working to have similar adventures with my remaining dog. I'd imagine that you will have a difficult time when the time comes with your dogs. As always, appreciate each day that you get with them.

Edit: Today I took my remaining dog in the car with me to pickup the kids from school, which is something I had stopped doing with Bailey because it was a bit of a hassle to load her up. As it turned out, Milo was invited to come in at preschool which was great. My kids loved showing him off, the other kids absolutely adored him, and he was just beside himself with excitement around all the little people. I think that made pretty much everyone's day. It certainly made mine.
mad german

Post by mad german »

That’s great Capt. Sounds like Milo will be the new mascot of the school, haha. It’s never easy, and many people just don’t understand how much love we have for our pets. But hang in there. We’re here if you need to vent in the future.
My collection is ever changing!
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Capt'n,
Heartfelt condolences to you and your family.
Been through it myself. Was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life. Cried like a little girl the entire day.
Here's something that I hope will help.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Again, sorry for your loss.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Capt'n Boatsalot

Don, thanks. Rainbow Bridge is an excellent piece. I actually wish I had that last weekend. I created a shutterfly type photo book and would have put that in. I'll probably print it out and stick it in there. Thanks for sharing!
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Had to do the same with our little toy fox terrier today. She was 17 and it was her time. She will be missed. :(
"No matter where you go, there you are"
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sorry too hear that Holeshot. :(

Captain, I made Walgreens photo books for my dogs that have passed. They are nice keepsakes. My vet does paw prints in clay as well. They look like plates with their paw print in them. I have them on my mantle.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Capt'n Boatsalot

holeshot wrote:Had to do the same with our little toy fox terrier today. She was 17 and it was her time. She will be missed. :(
Holeshot - so sorry to hear that, man. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this very difficult time. :(
bearfacedkiller wrote:Sorry too hear that Holeshot. :(

Captain, I made Walgreens photo books for my dogs that have passed. They are nice keepsakes. My vet does paw prints in clay as well. They look like plates with their paw print in them. I have them on my mantle.
BFK - I made the same for Bailey lastly weekend. It should arrive in the mail sometime this week and I am really looking forward to it. We got the paw prints too (still need to pick those up from the vet this week).
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Holeshot,

I am sorry for your loss.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Andy_lluo

Post by Andy_lluo »

I’m so sorry. I have an 8 year old full breed chihuahua and she’s full of joy but I’m dreading the day she goes to puppy heaven. God bless you.

Andy