Lost my best friend today...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Lost my best friend today...

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Today was the day my wife and I have been dreading for years. We had to put down our 12 yo yellow lab, Bailey.

Bailey's been a part of virtually our entire married life, 5+ years as our only 'kid', and then 7 years as an added chaperone once our kids came along. She's been literally everywhere with us - camping, hiking, vacations, running, car trips, whatever. She wasn't always a perfectly behaved dog, but she was the perfect dog for us. She loved all aspects of the outdoors - hiking, swimming, chasing sticks, and just walking around the neighborhood. For her entire life, Bailey and I have gone on daily walks to burn off both of our energy, so we've become incredibly close over the years. Those walks contributed greatly to her longevity and durability, and they were also a great way for me to keep a good perspective on the struggles with daily life. Additionally, she absolutely adored our kids and would let them do anything with her. Even as she's gotten older and her joints/back have hurt more, she's always shown incredible patience with the kids.

Since the new year, she's had a much harder time getting up and moving around. Then about a week ago, she really stopped showing any interest in food and couldn't move hardly at all. The vet yesterday confirmed that she had multi-centric lymphoma. We gave her some medication overnight to help the pain hoping to get through the week, but the cancer was causing her difficulty in breathing and the meds just weren't enough to overcome. She's been an incredibly tough dog, but it was time. Labs are notorious for not showing pain, and this was Bailey to the end. She never complained, barked, snipped, or did anything else to make it overtly known that she was in pain. But it was clear that she couldn't continue on much longer.

We were fortunate to adopt another yellow lab about 4 months ago, and this will help blunt some of the sadness. Milo and Bailey were good buds, and I do feel that Bailey was able to let go once she knew there was a successor to watch over her family. But even with Milo, the past week, and today especially, have been brutal. It is weird to see her pillow and not have Bailey in it.

Anyway, Bailey, you were a great dog, and will be forever missed. You had a tremendous life and gave our lives much needed character and color. The memories we've created with you will be forever cherished! We love you!

Give your pets a hug today! Sorry for the rambling post, and I know that this will also be a bit of a photo overload. I am sure you all understand! :o

Bailey as a puppy:

A much younger Bailey in the snow:

Her and I on one of our countless winter hikes:

On vacation with our first daughter:

Getting a bit more white on her snout:

On her last hike, with Milo. Just two weekends ago - amazing how quickly things change! She still could hike, but definitely was slowing down.

On her pillow just yesterday:
xceptnl

Re: Lost my best friend today...

Post by xceptnl »

So very sorry to learn of your friend's passing Boats. I know how hard losing a long time, four legged member of the family can be.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I commiserate. Had to put down our male Cairn in November. Quite an absence after 15 years of us being owned.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I am very sorry for your loss.. Time will help the healing process but some times it gets a little hard.. R.I.P. Bailey.. You will be missed but forever loved..

Capt.. As I read your post and typed this the tears were flowing.. Very nice post!!!
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Never is easy, looks like he had a good life. I've got a 12yo cat I've been working through diabetes with and when he goes I'm gonna be a mess.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Very sorry to hear.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Hi Cap, sorry to hear of your loss. Sad when you lose a family member. We put our shepherd Max down a few years ago, he was almost 13, a great friend and protector to us and our (now adult) children. I still think of him and his greeting/bump at the front door when I'd get home from work. I know you'll remember the good times with Bailey. In time, they will bring a smile to your face.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Man, Captn, I'm just so very sorry to hear this.
I had a Boston Terrier for 13 years when I was a kid.
I'm 46 now, and have 2 Goldendoodles. It's really taken me that long, plus the help of my wife to get another dog (s)
I know how hard it is. I hope you and your family get to feeling better soon.
Donut

Post by Donut »

It looks like she had an awesome life!

It's sad to hear she's gone.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Sorry for your loss. R.I.P. Bailey.
benben

Post by benben »

So sorry, what a terribly difficult thing to go through. My son went with me to our vet when I had to put down our 15yo German Wirehaired Pointer, I’m so glad he went cause I was a slobbering mess! It was physically painful. She looks like a good girl who had a great meaningful life. You guys will constantly see little things that will remind you of Bailey and you and your wife will laugh, and that will happen for the next 20 years! Smile and know you guys loved her and gave her a happy home.

Man, I love cool dogs!
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

There will be an empty spot in your hearts, I empathize with what you're going through. We've had to put down a couple of furry kids over the years & it doesn't get any easier. Hugging our black Lab tonight, heck I hug her every night what am I saying...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have been there myself too many times. Mine have been very stoic in the end as well. My username and avatar is a dog I lost six years ago and I still tear up once in while thinking about her. It just isn't fair, they don't live long enough. :(

I am a huge dog lover and am truly sorry for your loss. I hope you enjoy many years of happy memories. I am going to go give my current dog Vera Lynn a big old hug after this.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Its painful. I tear up when I think of our yellow lab. Be thankful for the time you had. The pain of love is summed up best for me by CS Lewis,

“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I feel for you. :o
Especially hard having to put them down because they cannot continue and suffering.
RIP Bailey, and all good dogs gone before us ...
Last edited by anagarika on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris :spyder:
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

My heart felt condolences. I have gone through it a few times myself and it is never easy. She was obviously well loved and appreciated. She lived a long and happy life.

Take the time to remember her often.
Whitetail addict

Post by Whitetail addict »

Sorry to hear. Its never easy.
@martial_logan on the instagram.
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

Run free, Bailey.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The pain of such responsibility & loss is the other side of the bargain for all that love & loyalty. Doesn't make it easier, though.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Thank you all for the very kind words and insights. I really appreciate them all, and all of you, for responding and offering your sympathies. What a great forum!

My family and I spent part of yesterday afternoon looking at photos and videos of Bailey and of various events that Bailey was a part of. Very cathartic and reminded us what a great life she had, as well as a reminder of the many amazing memories that were made with her. It is true that the end is very tough for the families of all pets, but that does absolutely pale in comparison to the lifetime's worth of good memories. Several good insights in this thread along those lines too (thanks!). Looking through those photos produced lots of laughs, and a few tears, and reinforced those memories.

As expected, things were just weird yesterday, and will be so for the foreseeable future. Why are we getting food for just 1 dog and not both? Why is just one dog going for a walk? And strangest of all is waking up and not having Bailey at the foot of the bed. That too will subside as the "new normal" begins to become just "normal".

One positive benefit of a lab, however, is that she's spent her entire life making fur deposits into every possible crevice in our house and vehicles. There is literally no way to ever forget her! :rolleyes: Aside from the fur, I am sure that all sorts of regular daily activities will provide reminders of her life, and I really do look forward to those little reminders.

Thanks guys, again really appreciate everyone chiming in. This thread helped me get through the day and provided some much needed perspective. And I am sorry to all who have lost a dog themselves.