Recommendation: companion fixed blade for piggy back

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
hoimin

Recommendation: companion fixed blade for piggy back

Post by hoimin »

I got a Dark Timber Honey Badger (gen 2)!

It's pretty big (not quite a full on chopper but still definitely a knife) and very agile for its size, but I think it needs a little buddy along for the ride when out hiking/camping.

Preferences:
Blade length: 2.5" - ~3"
Blade thickness: no more than 1/8"... maybe 5/32" depending on the grind
Handle: something comfortable for extended carving potential. I wear S/M gloves
Handle material: synthetic is preferred, in black or whatever isn't flashy
Usage: fire prep, food prep in the field, and if possible, EDC (because I'm Canadian).
Budget: <200 USD
Steel: Not a big priority, but preferably not garbage

If possible I'd like a kydex/boltaron sheath to bolt to the Honey Badger's, or to belt carry solo. Might have to get one made separately... so this isn't a priority.

Please lend me your experience and expertise, friends!
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Recommendation: companion fixed blade for piggy back

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Hmmm, well there are people on here who are more qualified than me to answer this question. That is one really good looking and solid knife, that Dark Timber Honey Badger! Cool!

Regarding a piggy back buddy fixed blade, would you consider one of those made by companies like Muela of Spain? They seem to have good quality stainless steel and have both large and smaller sized ones. They also sell sets (I know you are not after that because you already have the larger knife) that have large bowies teamed with smaller ones.

Marttiini of Finland also has smaller fixed blades that can go with that one.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Thanks for the suggestions. The Muela style is a bit busy for my tastes. I am a fan of the puukko style though!
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

My digging has turned up three options so far, but I'd love to learn about some different ones.

Option 1: Bark River Ultra Lite Bushcrafter - not currently available
Option 2: Bark River Featherweight Fox River - is the blade sturdy enough for carving? The handle suggests this is designed as a slicer
Option 3: Bark River Mini Bushcrafter - might be too small for extended use... but is more pocketable, and is currently available

Primary reasons why these are currently at the top of the list:
CPM-3V (or Elmax), Convex edges, thin blade stock, comfortable looking handles
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I personally see no reason to spend more money on a knife than I have to. The Cold Steel Mini Pendleton Hunter in 3V would be a great choice and you can take the strap portion of the sheath off and pocket carry it. I often carry an Esee Izula in my pocket and sometimes on my belt. This knife comes in carbon or stainless steels. The Izula sheath in the pocket flies off (literally) with the push of a thumb.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Doc Dan wrote:I personally see no reason to spend more money on a knife than I have to. The Cold Steel Mini Pendleton Hunter in 3V would be a great choice and you can take the strap portion of the sheath off and pocket carry it. I often carry an Esee Izula in my pocket and sometimes on my belt. This knife comes in carbon or stainless steels. The Izula sheath in the pocket flies off (literally) with the push of a thumb.
Thanks, Doc Dan! The CS Mini Pendleton Hunter 3V looks like a great suggestion! I'm not a fan of the stock handle shape and material, unfortunately, but its price point means an aftermarket re-handle isn't out of reach. I've definitely thought about the Izula before too.

Normally, I'm all for spending only what I need to to achieve the function required, but I've found with knives that if I go with whatever just covers the bare minimum (peak value), I always end up just getting whatever my eye liked better later. Is this an illness? I can't afford to be a collector, so to speak, but I can afford to try to maximize each entry in the roster. e.g. I went for a mid-tech large fixed blade in a design that I was attracted to for the price of 2 just-as-effective beaters.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

hoimin wrote: Option 2: Bark River Featherweight Fox River - is the blade sturdy enough for carving? The handle suggests this is designed as a slicer
I would recommend this. I carry one every day. Mines in elmax.
Justin
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

crazywednesday wrote:
hoimin wrote: Option 2: Bark River Featherweight Fox River - is the blade sturdy enough for carving? The handle suggests this is designed as a slicer
It is sooo pretty. How’s the thinner stock against what you use it on?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've been looking for something along the same lines. I wanted a fixed blade small enough I can comfortably carry it daily, robust enough I can carve and baton wood, and preferably uncoated carbon steel so I could do a patina for something different.

This one is at the top of my list.

Landi EDC. 7.5" OAL, A2 & G10 or Micarta or CF, starting at $60 with kydex if you email him directly. Same materials as a Bark River at about 1/2 to 1/3 the price. Bark Rivers are gorgeous though!

Here's two more I've been looking at.

Battle Horse Knives, Frontier Valley. 6 5/8" OAL, O1, $115 with sheath.

Shadow Tech Knives, Hiker Bowie. 6" OAL, 1095, starting at $45 with sheath. I emailed them and they can do micarta or g10 scales instead of card wraps for an extra $12, and they can tweak things like no sharpening notch. There's also a drop point version I'll probably go with if I grab one of these. Bit thicker than I'd like though.

Hard to go wrong with an Izula.
:unicorn
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

Check out JRs Knives - Necker. My top choice for a small easy carry that is very well built and has a solid reputation as a perfect edc fixed blade.

Also, Dee Kistner makes some of the toughest knives I've used. He makes several smaller fixed blades that come with slim kydex sheaths. I carried one of his pukko fixed blades in my front pocket most of last year.

The Battle Horse Knives recommendation from above is a solid choice as well. Their staff is incredible and are very passionate about the knives they make.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Vivi wrote:I've been looking for something along the same lines. I wanted a fixed blade small enough I can comfortably carry it daily, robust enough I can carve and baton wood, and preferably uncoated carbon steel so I could do a patina for something different.

Landi EDC. 7.5" OAL, A2 & G10 or Micarta or CF, starting at $60 with kydex if you email him directly. Same materials as a Bark River at about 1/2 to 1/3 the price. Bark Rivers are gorgeous though!
Thanks, Vivi. When is the Landi expected to arrive for you?
A.S. wrote:Check out JRs Knives - Necker. My top choice for a small easy carry that is very well built and has a solid reputation as a perfect edc fixed blade.

Also, Dee Kistner makes some of the toughest knives I've used. He makes several smaller fixed blades that come with slim kydex sheaths. I carried one of his pukko fixed blades in my front pocket most of last year.

The Battle Horse Knives recommendation from above is a solid choice as well. Their staff is incredible and are very passionate about the knives they make.
Thanks A.S.! These are definitely worth digging into a bit more. Battle Horse looks like the type of outfit I was looking for even if the style match isn't quite there for me.
vivi

Post by vivi »

hoimin wrote:
Vivi wrote:I've been looking for something along the same lines. I wanted a fixed blade small enough I can comfortably carry it daily, robust enough I can carve and baton wood, and preferably uncoated carbon steel so I could do a patina for something different.

Thanks, Vivi. When is the Landi expected to arrive for you?
I think in 1 week. I'll post some photos and impressions when it arrives.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I'll echo the ESEE recommendation (I have a pocketable/beltable Izula2).

I'll also point out that the recommended Battle Horse Knives emerged from the wonderful Blind Horse Knives.

Its other half emerged as LT Wright Handcrafted Knives. Don't overlook LTWK's Patriot (https://www.theknifeconnection.net/lt-w ... ex-sheath/). It, too, is pocketable/beltable. Being small, it can get lost. Mine is somewhere in my house. :rolleyes: May be too small for your liking.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I'm learning as much as I can about the Blind Horse/Battle Horse/LT Wright knives.
Not sure how I feel about the broomstick design yet, but I see the appeal. Coke bottle handles are attractive to me, but they're going to be hit or miss in hand.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

hoimin wrote:
crazywednesday wrote:
It is sooo pretty. How’s the thinner stock against what you use it on?
Ive been loving it. I have not done any hard use with it yet. I have only used it for slicing at this point and its been great. I will say, if you have large hands you might not like how the handle fits. I wear a size large in leather work gloves, I get 3 fingers with room or 4 fingers tight fit on the handle. I do not have sausage fingers. Hope that helps.

Justin
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

crazywednesday wrote: Ive been loving it. I have not done any hard use with it yet. I have only used it for slicing at this point and its been great. I will say, if you have large hands you might not like how the handle fits. I wear a size large in leather work gloves, I get 3 fingers with room or 4 fingers tight fit on the handle. I do not have sausage fingers. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the photo! It looks perfect for those controlled cuts where you put your index finger along the spine. My hands are smaller than yours so it should be a decent fit if I end up going this direction.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Happy to help.

Justin
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

So I ran some of the options past my wife and she picked the Featherweight Fox River.
Anytime you get some sort of knife buying endorsement, you take it and run.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Can't argue with that. What scale option did you go with?
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Vivi wrote:Can't argue with that. What scale option did you go with?
Just found a standard black canvas micarta one (in 3V) that was readily available for order. What I'm most curious about is how a knife this size fits in my pocket with the sheath, and how 3V in this blade stock (0.09") handles wood work (i.e. lateral strain). If it turns out to not be exactly what I'm looking for, my wife now has a nice carry option for hikes/picnics.

Visually, it looks quite fetching. It's also the same size as the ULB, which will give me a better idea whether I still want it or the mini (which is relatively overpriced compared to its already overpriced brand). The other options suggested were quite good, but nothing clocked in at the mini's size range.