Recommendation: companion fixed blade for piggy back

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Re: Recommendation: companion fixed blade for piggy back

Post by vivi »

curious to see how it fits in your hand when you get it. I haven't tried out 3V yet but I hear good things.
:unicorn
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Vivi wrote:curious to see how it fits in your hand when you get it. I haven't tried out 3V yet but I hear good things.
Obligatory pics when it shows up. I don't have large hands and I rarely, if ever, use the hammer grip.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

hoimin wrote:
Vivi wrote:Can't argue with that. What scale option did you go with?
Just found a standard black canvas micarta one (in 3V) that was readily available for order. What I'm most curious about is how a knife this size fits in my pocket with the sheath, and how 3V in this blade stock (0.09") handles wood work (i.e. lateral strain). If it turns out to not be exactly what I'm looking for, my wife now has a nice carry option for hikes/picnics.
My personal feelings on stock thickness is that most fixed blade knives are thicker than they need to be. I imagine the convex edge combined with 3V is going to be impressive for its thickness. Please report back on how well it handles lateral strain while wood working. Im sure my uses never push a knife to its limits.
Justin
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

crazywednesday wrote:My personal feelings on stock thickness is that most fixed blade knives are thicker than they need to be. I imagine the convex edge combined with 3V is going to be impressive for its thickness. Please report back on how well it handles lateral strain while wood working. Im sure my uses never push a knife to its limits.
This is my feeling/hypothesis as well, but my usage is largely what yours sounds like it is. With the BRKT warranty being what it claims to be, I am inclined to not baby this thing as much as I would normally.

I kind of want to carve a knife design I've had kicking around in my head out of a good stick. Maybe I can also workshop some of the other options posted here if the FFR ends up being a useful carving tool (probably not that detailed).
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

This came in yesterday afternoon, so I basically got no work done the rest of the day.
Album

Trying a pocket carry today in the office with the stock sheath, even though it is basically an inch too long for that, on top of my usual pair.

I'll take more pictures with the Honey Badger tonight. They have the same materials and very similar aesthetics, differing only in grind and purpose.
vivi

Post by vivi »

That's a nice lookin one!
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Vivi wrote:That's a nice lookin one!
I suspect it’d be too small for you, with that beak in the back. Did the Landis come in?
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I just unzipped one of those plastic pallet straps like it wasn't there... o___o

Maybe it was just weak... tried a different section with my GB2, and it took two swipes... O________O
vivi

Post by vivi »

hoimin wrote:
Vivi wrote:That's a nice lookin one!
I suspect it’d be too small for you, with that beak in the back. Did the Landis come in?
Yep. Both are a perfect fit. I'm so happy with the EDC model I plan to order a second.

I'll be making a thread on it soon. I plan to shoot a first impressions video later in the week.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Matchy matchy
More
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Well, I returned the FFR.

I thought it could double as a camp/bushcraft option + edc fixed blade. Unfortunately it was too long to pocket (and belt carry regularly) so I’ve opted to split the two requirements.

The Ultra-Lite Bushcrafter just came back up so I will get one of those for the piggyback. I already picked up a little PSK in Elmax for EDC (yay thinner stock!).
vivi

Post by vivi »

I had the intention of doing a similar thing. I got the Landi EDC as my daily carry knife and the Landi Bushcrafter to go with my Dogfather or Axe as a general outdoors knife. Still haven't used the Bushcrafter aside from testing it on a branch in the yard, I've just been using the Landi EDC in both roles.

Making me re-think camp cutlery a bit. I've usually gone for knives with longer blades, like most bushcrafting knives or my trusty Aqua Salt. But the EDC's size is working out great for cutting rope, prepping meals, harvesting fatwood and basic wood carving. And for me, it's just small enough for comfortable horizontal belt carry.