Your most comfy boot...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Your most comfy boot...

Post by MacLaren »

I need a new pair of boots gang. And I want the most comfy pair I can get. In past times, Rocky boots have the most comfy boots I've owned. I've also owned Danner when I was younger. Like the Rain Forrest. The ones I have on mkind now, are the Rocky Alpha Force. Not sure if Rocky still makes their Eliminator boot. I've had a few pair of those in the past and liked them.
Looking forward to y'alls posts!
xceptnl

Re: Your most comfy boot...

Post by xceptnl »

MacLaren wrote:I need a new pair of boots gang. And I want the most comfy pair I can get. In past times, Rocky boots have the most comfy boots I've owned. I've also owned Danner when I was younger. Like the Rain Forrest. The ones I have on mkind now, are the Rocky Alpha Force. Not sure if Rocky still makes their Eliminator boot. I've had a few pair of those in the past and liked them.
Looking forward to y'alls posts!
Guess it's all in what you like and get used to. I have been wearing slip on rancher or wellington style boots since 2004 i guess. I have worn Timberland Pro, Sketchers, DrMartins and my last 4 pairs of boots have been Ariat. The leather is soft, the outsole supportive and the factory insoles of better than most quality (i usually have my own higher end insoles put in most every shoe I wear)

They are my favorite brand by far.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanx Landon :)
I think I got my 1st pair of Rocky Eliminators in 1990.
They were a great boot. After I get y'alls recommendations, I'm gonna go to a big Outdoors store in Johnson City,TN, where they carry about every brand there is lol, and go from there.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’m a Red Wing guy for life. Very comfortable and they melt to your feet once they break in. And being able to get them resoled is sweet. The oil slip resistant tread is very nice on wet vinyl roofing.
Josh
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have owned about a dozen pairs of Red Wings. I have a pair of Irish Setters which are made by Red Wing that I have worn in the winter for years and love them. I have snowshoes hundreds of miles with them on and have worn them icefishing countless times which involves standing on your feet all day.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

It's not a very traditional answer but I like Merrell All-Out Blazes, in the waterproof low cut version. If I still lived where we saw knee deep snow I'd get the taller versions.

They have a stretchable upper that's worlds more comfortable than a traditional boot for me.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Red Wing, Irish Setters rock! :cool:

Ugg boots are very comfortable too. Very warm but not very stylish or durable and I would strongly advise against wearing them around Kiwis. Unless of course there are sheep close handy in which case you should be OK. :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Red Wing and Thorogood are my go to brands for soft toe but steel toe is a whole different world and right now I'm trying out a couple other brands. I literally have about $700 tied up in boots right now trying to find some that don't suck to wear for 12 hours a day.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow. Thanx guys!
I really appreciate all the feedback :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:Red Wing and Thorogood are my go to brands for soft toe but steel toe is a whole different world and right now I'm trying out a couple other brands. I literally have about $700 tied up in boots right now trying to find some that don't suck to wear for 12 hours a day.
Oh man. Tell me about it. The last pair I had were Rocky BearClaws. They were super good for a while.
My little brother has a pair of Whites I believe. He really likes them.
Prolly too stiff for me though.
I'm gonna check out all brands mentioned here. Actually, I've always wanted to try a pair of both Irish Setter and Red Wings.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:
Evil D wrote:Red Wing and Thorogood are my go to brands for soft toe but steel toe is a whole different world and right now I'm trying out a couple other brands. I literally have about $700 tied up in boots right now trying to find some that don't suck to wear for 12 hours a day.
Oh man. Tell me about it. The last pair I had were Rocky BearClaws. They were super good for a while.
My little brother has a pair of Whites I believe. He really likes them.
Prolly too stiff for me though.
I'm gonna check out all brands mentioned here. Actually, I've always wanted to try a pair of both Irish Setter and Red Wings.

The only advice I've got for steel toes is there is no perfect brand, you need to try them all. Every foot is different and I've tried ones that people swear by that didn't fit me for crap.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
arnold ziffle

Post by arnold ziffle »

i really like the rocky s2v. not as soft as the running shoe type boot but after walking around a prison 8-16 hours my feet felt better than others. great padded insole and support. they also breathe well. the only boy or shoe that my feet never sweated in. unfortunately when it gets cold they still breathe well. they lasted eight years at work and now i wear them camping in the desert.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

murphjd25 wrote:I’m a Red Wing guy for life. Very comfortable and they melt to your feet once they break in. And being able to get them resoled is sweet. The oil slip resistant tread is very nice on wet vinyl roofing.
I too have had great luck with Red Wing boots over the years. One guy I listen to on the internet i.e. "The Liberty Man.com" J. R. Moore recommends DANNER boots after he had extensively tested some for harsh survival conditions.

There used to be a brand of hiking boots called ROCKPORT but I haven't heard or seen anything of them in quite some time. But the people I've talked to who used them just swore by them.

No matter which brand of boot you get you must keep in mind that proper maintenance will often determine how good of performance you will ultimately get from them. Providing that they are a quality boot to begin with. But not maintaining even the best boots on the market will shorten their life drastically.
remnar

Post by remnar »

My two go-to pairs of boots right now are a pair of Danner Super Rain forest for heavy work and a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots for light work and play. I've had several pairs of Danner boots and they have always been very comfortable and durable. Some are also recraftable like the other high end brands that have been mentioned. The only downside with the Super Rain Forests is that they are a little heavy. I am on my second pair of Salomon Quests. The Gore Tex gave out on the first pair and they were replaced through warranty even though they were more than a year old. I know you pay for their warranty up front but some companies could learn a lot about customer service from Salomon, and I would not be recommending them if I did not have such a positive interaction with their warranty department. The Salomons are very light, very sturdy and one of the most comfortable hiking boots that I've ever tried.
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

The only boots I wear are Red Wing and Blundstones. Both brands are almost indestructible, comfy as **** and look better as they wear.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

remnar wrote:My two go-to pairs of boots right now are a pair of Danner Super Rain forest for heavy work and a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots for light work and play. I've had several pairs of Danner boots and they have always been very comfortable and durable. Some are also recraftable like the other high end brands that have been mentioned. The only downside with the Super Rain Forests is that they are a little heavy. I am on my second pair of Salomon Quests. The Gore Tex gave out on the first pair and they were replaced through warranty even though they were more than a year old. I know you pay for their warranty up front but some companies could learn a lot about customer service from Salomon, and I would not be recommending them if I did not have such a positive interaction with their warranty department. The Salomons are very light, very sturdy and one of the most comfortable hiking boots that I've ever tried.
Thanx man.
I've had Rain Forrest before. Almost indestructible lol.
But, I didn't realize that Soloman made shoes. I skied pretty regular for about 10 years, and was certainly aware of Soloman in the Ski industry. That's very interesting.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SharpieB wrote:The only boots I wear are Red Wing and Blundstones. Both brands are almost indestructible, comfy as **** and look better as they wear.
Thank you. Never heard of Blundstones. I'll have to check them out.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:I’m a Red Wing guy for life. Very comfortable and they melt to your feet once they break in. And being able to get them resoled is sweet. The oil slip resistant tread is very nice on wet vinyl roofing.
I too have had great luck with Red Wing boots over the years. One guy I listen to on the internet i.e. "The Liberty Man.com" J. R. Moore recommends DANNER boots after he had extensively tested some for harsh survival conditions.

There used to be a brand of hiking boots called ROCKPORT but I haven't heard or seen anything of them in quite some time. But the people I've talked to who used them just swore by them.

No matter which brand of boot you get you must keep in mind that proper maintenance will often determine how good of performance you will ultimately get from them. Providing that they are a quality boot to begin with. But not maintaining even the best boots on the market will shorten their life drastically.
Your exactly right about proper maintenance JD.
A can of Kiwi, a horse shoe brush, toothbrush and rag are a must.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MacLaren wrote:Your exactly right about proper maintenance JD.
Hi Mac,

I think you'll find Kiwi Boot Polish contains plenty of solvent and you can smell it when you open the can. Ultimately it dries the leather and over time it cracks it. It's certainly not something I'd personally use on a $400+ pair of Red Wings. :eek:

I make my own boot polish with beeswax, linseed oil and a little bit of carnauba wax (I think?) but I haven't made any in a few years and I'd have to look for notes for portions. :o

Anyhow, one of your local products Obenauf's LP Boot Preservative is an excellent boot/leather preserver that only slightly darkens the original colour of your boots. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Bloke wrote:
MacLaren wrote:Your exactly right about proper maintenance JD.
Hi Mac,

I think you'll find Kiwi Boot Polish contains plenty of solvent and you can smell it when you open the can. Ultimately it dries the leather and over time it cracks it. It's certainly not something I'd personally use on a $400+ pair of Red Wings. :eek:

I make my own boot polish with beeswax, linseed oil and a little bit of carnauba wax (I think?) but I haven't made any in a few years and I'd have to look for notes for portions. :o

Anyhow, one of your local products Obenauf's LP Boot Preservative is an excellent boot/leather preserver that only slightly darkens the original colour of your boots. :)
I agree. Only use saddlesoap on my leather boots. Keeps the leather clean and moisturized
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*