Wicked Edge Opinion

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RLDubbya

Wicked Edge Opinion

Post by RLDubbya »

Greetings.

I am working with Clay Allison, founder of Wicked Edge, putting together a "pay it forward starter kit." Clay was kind enough, upon hearing of my impending death, to give me at no charge the lastest Wicked Edge sharpening system, access to his himself and his staff to assist me in learning it, and an ongoing discount. It looks like my days are coming to a close, so I'm trying to put together a plan with Clay.

I'm thinking about adding the following pieces to the kit:

-a large 13 drawer locking tool chest
- basic hand tools ranging from from Torx drivers to standard screw drivers to a panavise
- a drill press and good bits
- a work sharp ken onion edition sharpener with blade grinding attachment and 20-30 belts
- more wicked edge strops and stones
- a plethora of diamond paste ranging from 400 to 200,000 grit
- diamond lapping film
- Dremel 8220
- a mobile table to mount the WE sharpener on
-high power lights

All of this would be shipped to the next person on the list. It's expected that person needs, and cannot afford for whatever reason, a high end sharpening, repair, and maintenance system.

It is also expected that this person will add substantially to the kit and pay it forward to the next person.

Does this sound like a good idea? Do you have any further thoughts? How would you control this?

Thanks!
Last edited by RLDubbya on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisinHove

Re: Wicked Edge Opinion

Post by ChrisinHove »

Wow, that’s quite an inventory, and quite a plan! I’m not sure I have anything really constructive to offer except for my very, very best wishes.
RLDubbya

Re: Wicked Edge Opinion

Post by RLDubbya »

Yes, it is fairly complete, especially when you realize that it includes a lot of adapters so that it is possible, with some patience, to reprofile / repair any blade and then put a mirror edge on it. The only real limit is the amount of runtime permitted before you should give the WorkSharp a rest, as it is rated as a heavy-duty consumer.