Neat French Tactical Knives: Michael Janich and others: Have you seen these?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Neat French Tactical Knives: Michael Janich and others: Have you seen these?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Everyone, check these out. This is the first time I have ever seen or heard of this knife line, I found it in some web searches:

http://www.combtact.com/Knives-STI/Kniv ... ducts/TDZ7

They are based in France and called STI. Check out their knife designs.

Mr. Janich have you ever heard of these, and what do you think of them from a basic overview?

They appear to be pistol shaped folding and fixed blade knives that have secure hand holds. Some of the prices look inexpensive, too. Very fascinating.

They make both stainless and plastic versions.

http://www.combtact.com/Knives-STI/Kniv ... 1Stainless

It looks to me like it would be very secure and very difficult to drop or be disarmed of it.

Here are some of their prototypes:

http://www.combtact.com/Knives-STI/prototype.php

Multi color plastic ones:

http://www.combtact.com/Knives-STI/Kniv ... ducts/TDZ7

Man these are cool! Look at the pic of the woman demonstrating how to use one against a car-jacker.
Evil D

Re: Neat French Tactical Knives: Michael Janich and others: Have you seen these?

Post by Evil D »

Seems like a reworked push dagger.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Johnnie1801

Re: Neat French Tactical Knives: Michael Janich and others: Have you seen these?

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Wish Spyderco would do something with Bastinelli Creations especially now since he's living in the US.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm really having a difficult time imagining myself having or using those things back when I was a cop. It's tough getting over the ugly factor too.

Joe
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No white flag?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

Meh. It's a cumbersome, unwieldly gimmick, IMHO. Nothing more.

If you are justified in using deadly force, then shoot or stab the attacker until neutralized. You know, "lather, rinse, repeat." If not, then do not. Simple.

Why poke a car jacker with a snubnosed, plastic, pistol-shaped knifeamajig that would not even make it as a lousy letter opener? Just use a real pistol or "conventional" knife. If being disarmed is a big concern, then get thee to training, and practice diligently.

Don't get me wrong, SEF. I'm all for exploring different iterations of edged and non-edged weaponry. I'm just not one to jump on the latest fad, trend, or thingamabob. I'm more of a KISS proponent. YMMV.

Cheers,

H2
He who walks in the company of fools suffers a long way; company with fools, like an enemy, is always painful; company with the wise is pleasure, like meeting with kinsfolk. Therefore, one ought to follow the wise, the intelligent, the learned, the much enduring, the dutiful, the elect; one ought to follow a good and wise man as the moon follows the path of the stars.

--Buddha, The Dhammapada, Chapter XV, Verses 207-208.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

The Deacon wrote:No white flag?
Bwahaha!

Does it also have a reverse gear mode?
He who walks in the company of fools suffers a long way; company with fools, like an enemy, is always painful; company with the wise is pleasure, like meeting with kinsfolk. Therefore, one ought to follow the wise, the intelligent, the learned, the much enduring, the dutiful, the elect; one ought to follow a good and wise man as the moon follows the path of the stars.

SpyderEdgeForever

Well see, that is what I wondered, about the practicality and real-world use of this item/items in such a situation.

On one hand, it is as you say, somewhat unwieldy-looking, and like David said, another iteration of the age old push dagger.

But then again, it is being produced and designed by a world-class martial artist and expert in self defense, self protection, and police science as it says on his website. Who can argue with that list of real world credentials, and you can then also see the videos and evidences of his techniques.

Let me ask you this: If a person has no or a bare minimum of basic combat and self defense training, like basic blocks and jabs and the like, would this come in handy against some low life street thug who is out to do you harm or is it a real "hit or miss" situation, it may help but it may not, also?

I would love to see a solid one piece version made from H1 or Lc200N stainless steel. How about that?
SpyderEdgeForever

The Mastiff wrote:I'm really having a difficult time imagining myself having or using those things back when I was a cop. It's tough getting over the ugly factor too.

Joe

Joe, back then, if a civilian who had no experience with serious martial arts or combat defensive training had asked your advice and said "Officer, what do you recommend to me for good self defense and self protection, that is legal to carry and reasonably quick to deploy, and will almost guarantee that I defeat the attacker against me?" What would you have likely have told that person or those people?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I see what you did there :p
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:I'm really having a difficult time imagining myself having or using those things back when I was a cop. It's tough getting over the ugly factor too.

Joe

Joe, back then, if a civilian who had no experience with serious martial arts or combat defensive training had asked your advice and said "Officer, what do you recommend to me for good self defense and self protection, that is legal to carry and reasonably quick to deploy, and will almost guarantee that I defeat the attacker against me?" What would you have likely have told that person or those people?
SEF,

As you well know, Sal designed the Civilian for cops and other "white hats" (with no knife fighting skills) to be used as a "last ditch" survival tool. I cannot think of a better edged-tool for your scenario, save for the Matriarch series.

I am not one to disparage other "masters" of martial arts. People have free will to practice and teach whatever "style" they please.

As to the pistolesque knifeamabob, here is what another forum had to say: https://www.edcforums.com/threads/proba ... ory.97430/

Under the Fair Use Doctrine, I think we should have a "caption this photo contest":
"Arrêtez! Ou je vais poignarder!"
("Stop! Or I will stab!")
Cheers,

H2

SpyderEdgeForever

But let me play the advocate for this for a moment. Do you deny or not, that if a person had this self defense tool, either the steel or the tough plastic version, (sharpened ABS point and edge with that tanto chisel edge) and if they hit the attacker in the face, throat, and other areas, they would definitely do damage, and could even seriously stop/injure, or kill the attacker, and/or at least drive them away to either do further damage to them, or, escape? That is the bottom line issue, right?

Now, you could say, that there are other tools/weapons that would do more damage, but, this one (the plastic version) is low cost (about 18 dollars US) and all one piece and lightweight.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:But let me play the advocate for this for a moment. Do you deny or not, that if a person had this self defense tool, either the steel or the tough plastic version, (sharpened ABS point and edge with that tanto chisel edge) and if they hit the attacker in the face, throat, and other areas, they would definitely do damage, and could even seriously stop/injure, or kill the attacker, and/or at least drive them away to either do further damage to them, or, escape? That is the bottom line issue, right?

Now, you could say, that there are other tools/weapons that would do more damage, but, this one (the plastic version) is low cost (about 18 dollars US) and all one piece and lightweight.
Dude,

I would not want to get poked in the face by a pencil. But, if you want an effective "defensive" knife, stick to the Civilian or one of the Matriarchs. That's all I'm suggesting. Why go off the reservation for an unorthodox knife/pokey thingy/nonlethal impact tool? It's a bit like the kerambit craze. Lots of people buy and carry one, yet aren't proficient in their use. Truth be told, in the style of Silat in which I practice, we train mostly with a keris, and focus on stabbing. But I digress...

The short of it is that skill is far superior to any particular tool, and your brain, more important than either. I wouldn't concern myself with searching for an ultimate weapon. You already have a brain. Focus instead on putting in your hours upon hours of diligent training with a worthwhile teacher.

Happy New Year.

H2

The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

As a cop I was always aware of my position in giving advice. I'd always try to keep my self out of trouble that comes from giving bad advice or saying something I shouldn't. I would have given the standard "go see XYZ instructor who will not only prepare you but insure you know the laws". Not much more.

As a civilian I can say whatever I want. Here it is.

In any jurisdiction I've worked any of those devices used as intended will be considered deadly force just like a pistol or shotgun. There is an old prejudice in cops that only bad guys ( insert stereotype group) stab people and if that guy had a real reason to need one he would be carrying a pistol for self defense. If the guy can't legally carry or acquire a pistol than maybe I shouldn't get involved. :) Something isn't right.

Sad eh?

So, if I am going to use deadly force to get home.....my preferences are....

1) Nuke them from orbit.
It's the only way to be certain....

2) Air strikes followed up by over running the position with a heavy mechanized brigade to sterilize the place after reducing it with direct fire at 2-3000 yards.

See where this is going?

3) if I have to shoot someone and can't do the above I want a 300 magnum at 2-300 yards. Not possible? Then whatever the **** I need to get the job done with as much over match as possible.

Though I have used a knife in self defense it's not something I would want to repeat. I sure wouldn't recommend it either but as you know it is always a possibility. It just is the last thing I'd want to do. I've seen used empty cans, clip boards, sticks, rocks, boots, locks ,pens, radios and a bunch of other things become weapons inside a prison. If I get a say in it though it sure won't be one of those ugly things shaped like a pistol but really an edged tool.

:)

Joe
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Silly thing IMO.

Further more, it looks like an even better way to get shot, waving that thing around downtown in a confrontation, as it looks vaguely handgun shaped.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I heard the French described as "rifle droppers" one time and about wrecked my car laughing. Of course if Fred Perrin was there I would be like "that's not funny, Fred"