Diving Knives: Your choices?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Diving Knives: Your choices?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Salt and fresh water. Scuba, Snorkling, Spearfishing, Commercial Diving. What do you all choose, what do you like, and why? Both Spyderco and other brands.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Diving Knives: Your choices?

Post by Doc Dan »

I have only been "diving" a few times. I do snorkel when I can, and I absolutely love to fish. I have a Benchmade Lone Wolf Mini Landslide in N680. I like it because it has a thick spine and stout point. This back lock is not going to break. It is also light weight. I am going to replace it with the new Native Salt, when it comes out, though. However, the BM has more cutting edge than the Spyderco and is much slimmer. It fits in my swimming trunks better than the Spyderco will, so I will not get rid of it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

I snorkel and spearfish (polespear) when I am in the tropics. Dragonfly salt, and/or a cheap stainless Mora are my go to choices. Something I won't feel terrible about losing underwater, or to an airport bag handler.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Doc and Clovis, if someone wanted to use a quality-made stainless steel tanto knife with the chisel-type tanto point and serrated edges, would you consider that to be decent as a diving knife?

Also, what are your thoughts on dry suits vs wet suits for diving? Which is better and safer as far as more physical protection from abrasion like coral and rocks and things?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I don't dive, but I wear dive watches sometimes. Does that qualify me to answer? I'd dive with a Jumpmaster 2, no doubt.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

SEF,

You know the old adage: "Two is one and one is none," right? Well, when you are underwater redundancy is paramount. As such, I would not think in terms of a diving knife, but rather in terms of diving knives.

Personally, I carry a SE Aqua Salt w/lanyard on my BC; a SE Pacific Salt clipped to my weight belt where it is accessable to my left hand; and a big, beater/vintage, Japan stainless, double-edged (one side is SE, the other PE) abalone diving knife/prybar strapped to my right thigh.

May I ask why you feel the need to pack a chisel-ground "tanto" point SE knife underwater? I totally get the SE blade, but the tanto tip, not so much. In any case, if you want such a thing, Mission Knives makes a 12" Titanium tanto knife with a 50/50 SE/PE blade. It's just $400 on the bay:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 0810027101 I admit I gave it a look, but in the end the high cost and the fact that Titanium is a poor blade material (as it can`t hold a decent edge) caused me to pass for any usage. I'd rather sharpen a wooden stake instead!

I guess I now understand your comments about the Warrior with a modified tip, and the pointy Caspian Salt. As to my grinder comment, it was just a joke of sorts. I thought you had or could only find the blunt tip versions, which is why I said to make you own pointy one instead with a grinder. Haha.

I mod my knives fairly often, so it's common for me just to regrind blades to my liking, instead of waiting around for the factory to do anything... Although, there was that time when I foolishly decided to regrind the entire blade of my first production run Cold Steel, Carbon V, ATC Chopper/khukuri that Lynn had sent me. Good Lord was that a disaster! But I digress...

Cheers,

H2
He who walks in the company of fools suffers a long way; company with fools, like an enemy, is always painful; company with the wise is pleasure, like meeting with kinsfolk. Therefore, one ought to follow the wise, the intelligent, the learned, the much enduring, the dutiful, the elect; one ought to follow a good and wise man as the moon follows the path of the stars.

--Buddha, The Dhammapada, Chapter XV, Verses 207-208.