So I bought my first Cold Steel knife.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
defenestrate

Re: So I bought my first Cold Steel knife.

Post by defenestrate »

I have a little ParaEdge necker that is pretty cool. Bought a couple of others that fell apart. Now they were really inexpensive (and on sale) but I probably won't grab any more until I see a good sale on a style I like (and there are a few I find pretty neat). Have thought about getting a tomahawk or one of their swords but I don't know well enough to know which swords I can really use. I know some are pretty stout.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

defenestrate, that is a great knife. I am so glad you got one and are comfortable with it. Isn't that design so cool?

VIVI AND DEFENESTRATE and PEACENT and everyone else! WOW! CHECK THIS OUT! Latest COLD STEEL NEWS: Look at the new upcoming 2018 models! WOW!

http://knifenews.com/new-cold-steel-2018-knives/

You are gonna be amazed. Thank GOD for SPYDERCO and COLD STEEL! :) :) :)

Look at the new models: The LUZON and the Mini Tac Bowie! WOW!

Sal Glesser and Lynn Thompson are two of the most important men and knife designers in all human history if you ask me.

Look at the Double Safe Hunter and Bush Ranger folders and the Storm Cloud. I am in a state of utter knife lightning here! WOW! :)
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

thanks SEF! I missed that.

there's so many good looking, well built designs in there! I'm glad they've opened to new steels, added thumb plates to some of their folders and that Safe Hunter ought to become the worthy pocket bowie that some people didn't find in the Broken Skull.

the Drop Forged push knife looks like a winner too.

Vivi, you ought to check that Bowie Mini Tac out (legalities apart OFC)

thanks again for the link SEF!
SpyderEdgeForever

You are very welcome my friend! I was hoping you would check that out and I am glad you did. Yeah that Mini Tac Bowie looks like it would fit within a wide range of knife ordinances because the blade is under 4 inches long or appears to be, and it is a fixed blade. Am I correct in that those Mini Tac knives are full tang ?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:You are very welcome my friend! I was hoping you would check that out and I am glad you did. Yeah that Mini Tac Bowie looks like it would fit within a wide range of knife ordinances because the blade is under 4 inches long or appears to be, and it is a fixed blade. Am I correct in that those Mini Tac knives are full tang ?
yes they are. At least the older ones.
And very good slicers due to the width (Edge to spine) of the blade, while still being very lightweight.
Excellent urban or hiking fixed blades if you ask me
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

@Vivi,

Are you not interested in Finn Wolf?

@SEF,

Thanks, not many new folders, and I’m wondering what is this new safety mechanism they come up with, on the Luzon and Safe Hunter ..
Chris :spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Though I don't prefer them any longer, Cold Steel's larger tanto models were finely made. These two examples were mine at one point.

Oyabun in Carbon V

Magnum Tanto IX in San Mai III

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
vivi

Post by vivi »

Those are pretty
:unicorn
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

@Vivi,

You may like Broken Skull with the simpler handle shape compared to Endura ... it’s very thin though.

Edit to add:
Reading the resurrected Endura vs Military thread, I think it’s safe to say the CS BS does better than either. CTS-XHP, DLC, lightweight, G10 linerless, Triad Lock, FFG, and with handle contour more similar to E3 than E4, except that the butt is slimmer.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the design of the Broken Skull. The only thing I do not like is Broken Skull written on the blade.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:38 am
I love the design of the Broken Skull. The only thing I do not like is Broken Skull written on the blade.
I don’t mind, although I prefer simpler low key as well. Upon closer inspection, the wording seems to be something in top of DLC, but I haven’t tried anything on it yet.

It feels more robust & strong (probably the G10 & blade spine thickness), but I’d say Endura & Stretch FRN feels more refined. So apart from similarities in dimension, Broken Skull is a different knife from Endura FRN.
Jarhead90

Post by Jarhead90 »

I misplaced my Endura many moons ago. I ended up getting a CS Voyager (Ex LG SE), then that evolved into a Kobun, Oyabun, Recon Tanto, Brooklyn Crusher. & a Trail Boss. The struggle is real.. My EDC is my Voyager, my beloved Endura (broken clip & all) my leatherman Rebar & a flashlight.
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

I bought a Recon 1 a couple of months ago as I wanted a rock solid heavy use folder. My first CS and I liked it so much that I bought a second Recon 1 (serrated and non), a Rajah III and an American Lawman. A Talwar is next.

I think the CS marketing videos are completely idiotic but I love the knives. Very high quality IME.

A XHP or S35VN bladed Taiwanese folder that is rock solid and has a great warranty for under $100 is a good value IMO.

I generally carry a Spyderco or a Benchmade, but the CS’ are getting more and more use.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

good friends can live forever together :D

vivi

Post by vivi »

SharpieB wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:01 am
I bought a Recon 1 a couple of months ago as I wanted a rock solid heavy use folder. My first CS and I liked it so much that I bought a second Recon 1 (serrated and non), a Rajah III and an American Lawman. A Talwar is next.

I think the CS marketing videos are completely idiotic but I love the knives. Very high quality IME.

A XHP or S35VN bladed Taiwanese folder that is rock solid and has a great warranty for under $100 is a good value IMO.

I generally carry a Spyderco or a Benchmade, but the CS’ are getting more and more use.
Basically how I feel too.

I don't carry folders much these days, but when I do it tends to either be a serrated Pacific Salt or PE Large Voyager. Both folders are very good values...I paid $75 and $50 respectively.
:unicorn
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The only thing about Cold Steel is that the owner is a bully. He lays claim to long known, and commonly used names that pre-date him (like San Ma, et al.) and then sends threatening letters to other companies that continue to use these names. Then, he has the unmitigated gall to use a hole in some of his knives knowing it is a true registered trademark by Spyderco.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 pm
The only thing about Cold Steel is that the owner is a bully. He lays claim to long known, and commonly used names that pre-date him (like San Ma, et al.) and then sends threatening letters to other companies that continue to use these names. Then, he has the unmitigated gall to use a hole in some of his knives knowing it is a true registered trademark by Spyderco.
You think about that kind of stuff...and contrast it with Spyderco's model and its gets you wondering about what it really means to be successful.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Exactly.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 pm
Totally agree. He is a complete douche. I haven’t even heard him speak or watched more than a few seconds of any of his videos.

I personally bought a Recon 1 for hard use in the woods and it is incredible. I bought a few more as their XHP Taiwan knives are amazing IMO. The company and owner? Not so much. I own 4 Cold Steels and don’t regret my purchases. I own 18 Spydercos/Byrds.
SpyderEdgeForever

Doc, Peacent, Vivi, and other fellow Cold Steel knife users: What do you think of the "Grivory" handle material that they use? Is this another variation of Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon and how do you like its durability and feel? They also tend to use Kraton in some of their handles and also a Kraton overlay with a FRN or harder polymer underneath.