If you like the Military...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ricechrispy

If you like the Military...

Post by ricechrispy »

But want a frame-lock flipper, you ought to check out the ZT 0452CF. I recently got one and love it. The handle is a little bit shorter and the blade is a little bit longer than the Milly’s (awesome blade:handle ratio). It fits my medium-sized hand very well and takes up much less room in the pocket than the Milly does. Overall, I still think the Military is the more practical and ergonomic knife, but the 0452CF is pretty close in the ergos department and, IMO, much more attractive. Here it is with my two 4”+ Spydies (Military and Ulize). It’s somewhere between those two in terms of ergonomics. Almost as good as the Milly and a lot better than the Ulize.

Last edited by ricechrispy on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ricechrispy

Re: If you like the Military...

Post by ricechrispy »

Accidentally made a duplicate post when trying to fix a typo in my first post...
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I saw that guy in a store and it was pretty attractive! How much meatier is it though? I love the clean design of the Military. The ZT is a little more complex. How do handle and blade thicknesses compare?
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

When I get home I'll try to get a picture that shows how they compare in those measurements. Handle thickness seems to be about the same. Also, blade thickness is about the same, too, but the 0452CF maintains that thickness for more of the blade since it's a saber grind (with a swedge) compared to the distal taper of the Military's full flat grind. The Military slices better and I suspect the tip of the 0452CF would be stronger (but I'm not going to test that theory). Both are very light for there size with the 0452CF being 0.2oz. lighter than the Military (4.3oz. vs 4.5oz.).
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I got to play with an 0452 quite a bit one weekend on a camping trip and really liked it. It is a big knife like the Military but it is much slimmer when closed. The blade stock is pretty much the same but the grinds are very different. The Military cuts better but the 0452 is a gorgeous knife that has great ergos and is a little more robust. I am not a big flipper fan but this knife is on my wish list. It is a nice design.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

bearfacedkiller, you summed up the differences pretty well. Here are some pictures comparing blade stock and handle thickness. Keep in mind that the 0452 has a swedge that makes it appear much thinner than it actually is.

Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Deleted by poster
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

ZT's are built like tanks. Just super nice blades.
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

MacLaren wrote:ZT's are built like tanks. Just super nice blades.
I agree. This is my first one but I doubt it’s my last. Their line started out too overbuilt for my taste, but I really like a lot of their current designs. Spyderco, Lion Steel, and now ZT are my three favorite brands.