Sea kayak fishing & an aggressive hammerhead

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MichaelScott

Sea kayak fishing & an aggressive hammerhead

Post by MichaelScott »

Lance, I saw this on YouTube tonight and naturally thought of you.

https://youtu.be/UcLV2CWi8oI
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
W7H2O

Re: Sea kayak fishing & an aggressive hammerhead

Post by W7H2O »

That'll get the starfish puckering. LOL
I think I would carry a telescopic spear if something like that happened to me.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yikes! That guy needed something better than a plastic oar.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Oh man that is pretty scary stuff. A scuba diver some years back told me some machine shops around marinas where divers frequent have made what they call an "Anti Shark Pike": This consists of a solid or telescoping rod/shaft (with locks that keep it rigid when extended) that has a very sharp and sturdy blade at the end, either double or single edged, and sometimes plain-edged or serrated. Basically, a more "sea combat" version of the Spyderco Whale Rescue blade. Has anyone here heard of this or could you picture someone taking a Spyderco Whale Rescue blade, and modifying it to function this way? But the question is: Would that work against an aggressive shark? I did hear a story that was told me with sincerity, about a man who saved his life by stabbing an attacking tiger shark with a large dive-knife. That allowed him enough time to get out of the water, after stabbing the thing in the nose/gill area.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

That's why I don't have a yak!

Easter just gone I caught a few nice Flatties at the mouth of George's River here at Botany Bay and told a mate about it. He went for a paddle on his yak and caught a few. He was in no more than 10' of water, reaching out to net a fish he just caught when a stinking Bull Shark about 10' long took the fish. The dropped his rod paddled to shore and fell when he went to stand up because he's legs were shaking so much and I can assure you he's no wimp!

About six weeks ago up the coast a bit a big White grabbed a girls yak, took a big chunk out of it and she ended up in the drink but luckily didn't get bitten.

They never used to worry me when I was younger and I surfed, dived for abalones and crays with mates and even got chased out of the water once by a small reef shark who wanted the ab's we had. I've seen shark close by when I've been on a board quite a few times but over the last 15-20 years I've developed a phobia and now I'm $!?& scared of them. :o
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SpyderEdgeForever

Bloke, I have a friend from down under who told me that he personally eye-witnessed a white shark gobble up a brash teenage youth: The circumstances were as follows: My friend was hanging out with some other guys on one of the large fishing piers and people were casting lines and all that. The kid shows up and says to everyone "watch me jump off the pier", to take a courageous swim. Well, my friend from there claims he was watching as the boy climbs over the railing, and leaps into the deep....and he and others saw this: A Great White Shark that had been lurking around (probably drawn by the fishing activity) just ups and appears with maw wide open...the kid was immediately seized in the jaws and torn apart, blood everywhere, to the horror of my friend and others there. And he told me this really happened. Man that's scary stuff.

Question about this for you: Would such a story have made its way to national Australian news, or not necessarily? How does the media work with incidents like that as far as publicizing them goes?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Just a juvie. Curious lil fella just wanted some scraps. ;)
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Oh man that is pretty scary stuff. A scuba diver some years back told me some machine shops around marinas where divers frequent have made what they call an "Anti Shark Pike": This consists of a solid or telescoping rod/shaft (with locks that keep it rigid when extended) that has a very sharp and sturdy blade at the end, either double or single edged, and sometimes plain-edged or serrated. Basically, a more "sea combat" version of the Spyderco Whale Rescue blade. Has anyone here heard of this or could you picture someone taking a Spyderco Whale Rescue blade, and modifying it to function this way? But the question is: Would that work against an aggressive shark? I did hear a story that was told me with sincerity, about a man who saved his life by stabbing an attacking tiger shark with a large dive-knife. That allowed him enough time to get out of the water, after stabbing the thing in the nose/gill area.
Sounds to me like the Fish Hunter would be a better than the Whale Rescue Blade with for this application.

IMHO I do not think a few random stabs to the body would work to deter a shark, but targeted stabs to as described above would be effective as the snout is a sensory laden area, and the gills are major bloodflow areas.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Question about this for you: Would such a story have made its way to national Australian news, or not necessarily? How does the media work with incidents like that as far as publicizing them goes?
SEF,

Yes, shark attacks are always reported and beaches closed while they chase the shark/sharks off.

As it goes a surfer was bitten by a 2m shark yesterday afternoon a short distance north of Sydney and it was reported in the 18:00 News.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/scien ... 8bd6101df7
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Got tired after 46 sec. Clue me in: I didn't see it raise its head once. The mouth on a HH that size is not big.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

roger-roger wrote:Got tired after 46 sec. Clue me in: I didn't see it raise its head once. The mouth on a HH that size is not big.
I don't quite follow Roger.

I basically posted the link to show what is a typical write up in Australian papers when someone is bitten.

I hadn't looked at the video clip till just then and it just goes on to describe a few different strategies to try and keep swimmers and sharks apart. :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

This is why Lance needs his pointy serrated Salt knife. :)

If you catch a hammerhead only using a knife and a kayak, does that qualify you for a world record? Or does it have to meet size requirements?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Bloke wrote:
roger-roger wrote:Got tired after 46 sec. Clue me in: I didn't see it raise its head once. The mouth on a HH that size is not big.
I don't quite follow Roger.

I basically posted the link to show what is a typical write up in Australian papers when someone is bitten.

I hadn't looked at the video clip till just then and it just goes on to describe a few different strategies to try and keep swimmers and sharks apart. :)

Sorry, I was commenting on the vid in the OP-- didn't get the chance to look at your video.
SpyderEdgeForever

Its said that the Indian ocean is dominated and "infested" with Tiger Sharks even more than other types, and, South Africa and Australian waters have the bull and white/Great White shark as the main menace (along with salt water crocodiles).

Could a person armed with a Spyderco Pacific Salt or Fish Hunter or Aqua Salt, if they saw it coming, successfully defend themselves against a shark of that size and ferocity, or does this depend on numerous factors?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Could a person armed with a Spyderco Pacific Salt or Fish Hunter or Aqua Salt, if they saw it coming, successfully defend themselves against a shark of that size and ferocity, or does this depend on numerous factors?
Tarzan could ... no worries but I'm not too sure who makes that big ole Bowie he carries! :cool:

Hulk Hogan probably could too with any Spyderco Salt, well, maybe not a HB Ladybug but I couldn't be certain. I don't think Chuck Norris would even need a knife. He'd knock out any shark with a back spinning kick if he went into the water with his cowboy boots ... maybe even bare foot. :eek:

Mick Dundee would flogg all three of them and a school of sharks while he rolled a smoke but he's Australian ;)

SEF, I don't think Noah's Arks are too scared of Spyderco's Salt Series Knives but again I couldn't be certain. :rolleyes:

Hope this helps! :)
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Could a person armed with a Spyderco Pacific Salt or Fish Hunter or Aqua Salt, if they saw it coming, successfully defend themselves against a shark of that size and ferocity, or does this depend on numerous factors?
There are people who have used fingers and hands successfully as last defense. I'd feel safer with a device that extends reach like a pole spear or a stick, which is what I use when taking friends and family out in the water.

I've had black tip reef sharks darting around in full aggressive posture, follow me in for what seemed like 15min +, while I protected my catch. That, my favorite dive spot, takes 30-40 min to reach shore.

Galapagos Sharks are what my friends are thinking about these days. Still haven't seen one yet, but I'm somehow imagining them moving fast like reef sharks, whereas my experience with Tigers and Mako is they came in slow, predictable. The Tiger and Mako however bring the terror of sheer size, and they move with an awesome sense of momentum, if that's imaginable. They feel like a bus that will run you over, but with that mouth and teeth.
SpyderEdgeForever

That is very interesting about the Galapagos sharks, I saw a video of people snorkeling with them. I think someone on the forum here should partner with Sal and invent some kind of "Anti Shark Knife" that can also work against vicious Salt Water Crocodiles, Baracuda, and other nasties.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:That is very interesting about the Galapagos sharks, I saw a video of people snorkeling with them. I think someone on the forum here should partner with Sal and invent some kind of "Anti Shark Knife" that can also work against vicious Salt Water Crocodiles, Baracuda, and other nasties.

As long as the person with the shark understands, the last thing you want to do is introduce more blood in the water.

P.S. As a hunter I'm sensitive to harming other living creatures without need.
SpyderEdgeForever

Thanks Roger. I agree with you that we should never intentionally harm other living creatures if there is no need. I know some here may disagree with me but while I am 100 percent for and in agreement with hunting and fishing so people can eat the meat, and make use of it, I don't agree with sport hunting and sport fishing just so someone can show off that they killed a certain animal or fish or bird. However, I have read books by professional safari hunters who claim safari style hunting helps manage wildlife and helps the local economies.