Titanium-Gold Alloy! (paging SEF)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
demoncase

Titanium-Gold Alloy! (paging SEF)

Post by demoncase »

https://futurism.com/physicists-combine ... -strength/

Titanium-3 alloy has been synthesized and is up to 4x harder than normal titanium*

It's an alloy of gold and titanium: so even without any word on edge retention it's going to be a perfect economy blade material for a low-cost folder...perhaps a future replacement for LC200 due to the high corrosion resistance :D

This is clearly the future of knife making right here.

*worryingly the article flip-flops between strength and hardness so add a pinch of salt to all and any claims.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
awa54

Re: Titanium-Gold Alloy! (paging SEF)

Post by awa54 »

I'm still holding out for Adamantium
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

awa54 wrote:I'm still holding out for Adamantium
I'm holding out for one of the ones SEF writes about ... nano particle no inertia type thing. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote:
I'm holding out for one of the ones SEF writes about ... nano particle no inertia type thing. ;)
you mean a mono-molecular filament knife, supported by an energy absorptive field?

Got one already! it's great, but the radiation leaks are killing me (literally) :D
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think it would be nice if we could find a source for this higher temperature Ti-3 and Spyderco would make us a mule out of it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If hardness were all that mattered we would all be carrying ceramic blades.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Evil D wrote:If hardness were all that mattered we would all be carrying ceramic blades.
Ah yes, but the paper flips between hardness and toughness like a politician talking about tax evasion and tax avoidance..... So maybe it's harder and stronger. And washes whiter with a lasting minty freshness too I shouldn't wonder :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

*GASPS like Doc Brown from Back to the Future* THEY HAVE MADE TRITANIUM! Titanium 3 = TRI titanium.

I understand some reservations when they mix terms but this is EXCELLENT! Thank you DC for finding this!
cELLiBAIt

Post by cELLiBAIt »

?!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Adamantium is nothing compared to SuperStringium :) Bonded woven subquantum super strings. Make any 3d pattern from sheets of them (branes). A knife made of pure bonded branes (for membranes) would be made of pure space itself. It would slice through any weaker-bonded pieces of space (atoms) like they were not there. Imagine the "Spyderco 4000 AD Pacific Atlantic Salt" made of branes.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

If you really want to hold out for something, hold out for unobtanium like everybody else does
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)