Amazing what some things cost

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TheRaven

Amazing what some things cost

Post by TheRaven »

I can’t fathom the price of this thing.

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/ind ... 85750.html
Evil D

Re: Amazing what some things cost

Post by Evil D »

Someone slipped in a couple 9's in the price.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm amazed that anyone would pay what pretty much any of Mr. Frankart's silly trinkets have sold for. Guess the old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted" still holds true.

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/ind ... y.html?p=1
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

These things and equally pricey custom fidget spinners puzzle the life out of me......
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:I'm amazed that anyone would pay what pretty much any of Mr. Frankart's silly trinkets have sold for. Guess the old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted" still holds true.

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/ind ... y.html?p=1

Yeah, not my place to tell people how to spend their money, but those rank way up there on the list of the dumbest things I've seen for that much money.
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

demoncase wrote:These things and equally pricey custom fidget spinners puzzle the life out of me......
But at least with the custom fidget spinners, there's some degree of real craftsmanship involved. At least they have moving parts and, I'd imagine, those lobes have to be virtually identical in both length and weight, otherwise the thing would wobble like an out of balance wheel. Some of them also have fairly intricate designs cut into the lobes and multi color anodizing jobs. Not saying I'd ever consider paying any more for a fidget spinner than the $6 I paid for one in Walmart, only acknowledging that building a custom one involves a fair amount of craftsmanship, which is more than I can say for those finger knuckles.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

The Deacon wrote:Not saying I'd ever consider paying any more for a fidget spinner than the $6 I paid for one in Walmart, only acknowledging that building a custom one involves a fair amount of craftsmanship, which is more than I can say for those finger knuckles.
Yeah, same.

Shiny footprints and all, I'm not sure how the price is derived other than rarity and what the market is willing to pay.

I am starting to wonder if making small EDCish things for the cool kids on social media is a market I should tap into?
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I guess there's a bubble growing in the rich mall ninja market.

Drug profits are up ?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

What are they ... what do they do? :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Terp61

Post by Terp61 »

What is it? Lanyard fob?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

titanium EDC tops.....

'nuff said :o
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Terp61 wrote:What is it? Lanyard fob?
One finger "brass knuckles".

Aka, a really great way to break the **** out of your finger if you actually punch someone in the head with one.
~David
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

The Deacon wrote:
demoncase wrote:These things and equally pricey custom fidget spinners puzzle the life out of me......
But at least with the custom fidget spinners, there's some degree of real craftsmanship involved. At least they have moving parts and, I'd imagine, those lobes have to be virtually identical in both length and weight, otherwise the thing would wobble like an out of balance wheel. Some of them also have fairly intricate designs cut into the lobes and multi color anodizing jobs. Not saying I'd ever consider paying any more for a fidget spinner than the $6 I paid for one in Walmart, only acknowledging that building a custom one involves a fair amount of craftsmanship, which is more than I can say for those finger knuckles.
Yeah, and that's part of the puzzlement..... You do all that rotor balancing then your user sticks it in their pocket and takes random lumps off it with their pocket change- or fumbles and drops it on the pavement.

That said, anyone charging $4000 for $4 worth of micarta with one hole cut in it deserves some kind off award for shear brass neck

As grandad said: "Neither use nor ornament, lad" ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Don't you guys realize how much instagram cred you can buy with that thing?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

This reminds me of when I've read articles about "rich people" spending what I consider huge amounts of money on things that will not even last, and at least in my eyes, the ridiculousness of it. For example: I can understand someone spending hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars on an extremely quality car, like a Porsche, or Astor Martin, or on some extremely rare antique sword...but...to drop thousands on a glass of champagne that has a diamond mixed in with the ice..or a hamburger that has gold foil between the bun and meat? Or when someone spends tens of thousands or more on a hand bag simply because it has a certain designer's name attached to it, when you could spend a hundred dollars and get a good well made bag that will last for your lifetime. But it was pointed out to me, that when people have that kind of money, things become relative to an extent: To someone who can comfortably afford to buy a 1000 dollar hamburger, they won't miss that money.

This is also related to inflation: When we see an ad from the 1910s for a hand made knife of finest carbon steel and stag handle..and it reads for sale at 2.00, it makes you go "WOW!" but then you come to realize, when most average workers made 10 cents an hour, to make 2 dollars would be 20 hours of work, and then they had to purchase other things for daily life, as well.

I once read about an expensive posh hotel that people would visit in the middle 1800s, and according to what I read, five dollars per day would get you an expensive luxury suite with all included meals and service. But...in the 1800s five American dollars or five British Pounds went a lot further than today because of inflation and other factors.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Don't you guys realize how much instagram cred you can buy with that thing?
+50 followers overnight.
+100 followers if it's pictured on a 'tactical hanky' (don't get me started on them!)

this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Do you realize how many people in the normal world say the same about someone spending $100 or more for any knife?

It's all relative......
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sure we spend more than the average person on a knife but at least a knife is a functional tool. A single finger knuck is silly. It is less effective as a self defense tool than a knife and in most places considerably more illegal. Comparing a $100 dollar knife to a $4000 piece of micarta is a stretch.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Yeah Darby for example, you and I and some others on here love quality Finnish and Scandinavian knives (among other knife types) and I told someone not too long ago about the Varusteleka Puukko ( https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/ ... teel/56525 That's the stainless and here is the carbon: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/ ... teel/56524)

and their response was "Why would someone spend that money on that knife (roughly between 60-70 something dollars, say) when you can get this: https://www.smkw.com/s-w-special-tactic ... -linerlock for 9.99?"

Some people just don't get it. At least with a good knife made of good steel and good handle material and good sheath material, you are getting a lasting tangible cutting tool that can even save your life in some circumstances. There IS a place for "beater knives", sure, but come on man :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

this_is_nascar wrote:Do you realize how many people in the normal world say the same about someone spending $100 or more for any knife?

It's all relative......
It's relative to a point but knives have function over what this glorified costume jewelry has.
~David