Amazing what some things cost

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TheRaven

Re: Amazing what some things cost

Post by TheRaven »

The Deacon wrote:I'm amazed that anyone would pay what pretty much any of Mr. Frankart's silly trinkets have sold for. Guess the old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted" still holds true.

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/ind ... y.html?p=1
****. Didn’t realize he had a bunch all selling for crazy prices. I remember when he had just got started making them and was selling the metal ones for like $35. Had a bought any, I’d be hocking them right now.
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Also, I have to imagine, for anyone with machining skills, these would be really easy to copy and sell on eBay.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

shunsui wrote:I guess there's a bubble growing in the rich mall ninja market.

Drug profits are up ?
Hhhmm, there's some truth to that. Well, at least here in the Philippines. After a year or so of a seriously waged drug war, I hear a lot of small businesses saying that business is down. Businesses like salons, small jewelry business, motorcycle repair shops. But hey, you takes the good with the bad. :)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Unbelievable. Surely nobody paid those prices. It must be a hoax.

I don't even get fidget spinners, tbh. I played with one the other day, for the first time. Whizz, whizz, whizz, whizz, yawn.

The Baliyo, mind, is a different matter. Stretches your dexterity AND is a real working pen!

Maybe they should do it in titanium for $500 ....
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

$795 for little beads and coins?

Sorry, I’m a newbie here, but can I ignorantly ask.... why?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

SharpieB wrote:$795 for little beads and coins?

You've asked the key question. :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Simple put, because someone is willing to pay that much. It's really no different than some of the baseball cards that have sold for over a million dollars. People collect what they like. Often times we think it's ridiculous or a waste of money but I'm sure others say the same about pocket knives and even some of them are thousands of dollars. I'm sure if I had large amounts of disposable income I'd buy a lot of dumb stuff too lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Scarcity is the vast majority of the price in cases like this. Beyond what the usefulness of the object is...

Folks will pay a good amount for Good Quality.

Folks will pay more for The Best There Is.

Folks will lose their minds over The Only One Made.

if you're interested in getting stuff done, the first option is prudent.
if you've got a little extra and high performance is worth your time, the second option has its merits.

the last option is really just paying for schadenfreude. You shell out for the chance to make other people unhappy.

in my opinion, that's a less than healthy way to get your kicks.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

My theory is that some people have enormous amounts of disposable income and WAY too much free time on their hands.

I picture some guy or girl who invented a video game app that they sold for 20 million dollars, and now they sit around doing nothing and spending absurd amounts of money on insanely overpriced items. (I mean come on....I understand why a bob Loveless knife sells for $20,000 or more, but I’m seeing new makers who are skilled [but not really all that special] who are selling their wares at ridiculously high prices).