Blade Length Ideals for you?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ThePeacent

Re: Blade Length Ideals for you?

Post by ThePeacent »

for EDC Folders, I tend to choose 3.5-4" blades, if they are EDC Fixed blades, 4-5.5"
for the outdoors these same EDC Fixed knives are combined with choppers and large woodworking knives, 8-12", as well as axes, machets and saws

anything smaller (use in public, detailed work...) I have the SAK and Multitool blades
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:for EDC Folders, I tend to choose 3.5-4" blades, if they are EDC Fixed blades, 4-5.5"
for the outdoors these same EDC Fixed knives are combined with choppers and large woodworking knives, 8-12", as well as axes, machets and saws

anything smaller (use in public, detailed work...) I have the SAK and Multitool blades
I can almost mirror Brother Peacent with his blade length selections. Actually at one time the 3 inch range was what I carried the most. But in the past few years I've gravitated toward the bigger/longer blades. My main EDC at this time is my M390 Military model. My companion blade at this time is rotated between my Stainless RESCUE SE model and my H-1 Spyderhawk SE model>> both of which have fairly long blades 3.5 inches +.

I actually put my full sized folders to good use and I'm constantly needing more longer blades as time goes on. Oh I have a few shorter or mid-sized folders for when I'm in situations where a longer blade might draw unwanted attention. Lately I've even carried my Dodo on a couple of occasions >> and I'm really hoping that at some point they will do a Sprint run of the Dodo in SE again.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Folders: 4". Anything between the Pacific Salt and Police is my ideal. Longer and tip control isn't what I prefer, shorter and certain tasks I use my knives for require multiple cuts instead of one.

Fixed: 4.5". Aqua Salt is ideal. Long enough to cover my bases when it comes to any cutting task, not so long as to weigh me down. Shorter blades carry more easily, but fall short with certain camp food prep tasks.

So about 4 inches for folders, 4.5 inches for fixed blades. I don't use knives for chopping anymore, so outside of occaisional machete use this works for me.

I've tried fixed and folders from 1" blades to 10" blades, so I've given all sorts of sizes a fair shake. I can get by with something shorter, but I find it less efficient.

I have never been in a situation where my 4" folders drew negative attention in my travels, so size doesn't concern me in that respect. I do carry a Leatherman Micra that could fill that role if I ever felt the need.
:unicorn
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Three and a half to four
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

1.95 - 3.5
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

2-3" for folders and 4.5-5" for fixed blades.
M-F I work in an office environment, plus my state has blade length restrictions, so 3" and under is best.
Weekends I'm camping, hiking, mtn. biking so always have a fixed blade with a folder.