Is blade play exeptible in slipjoints?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Whitetail addict

Is blade play exeptible in slipjoints?

Post by Whitetail addict »

I just got a couple case knives in the mail and both have some horizontal blade play.
Is thats normal for slipjoint? It bugs the **** outta me
@martial_logan on the instagram.
yablanowitz

Re: Is blade play exeptible in slipjoints?

Post by yablanowitz »

Send them back and ask for a refund. Spend the refund on fixed blade knives.

Or you could at least give us a hint as to how much play you are talking about. There is going to be a little, or the blade won't move. If that tiny amount bugs you, production folders are not for you.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I do not remember any blade play in slipjoints from Case, Remington, Moore, Bear, or Buck
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I doubt you can eliminate all play on folder but I just checked two Case Slimline Trappers and a Medium Stockman and none have noticable horizontal or vertical play.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A slip joint does not have to have blade play and if they did, I would send them back. That is just sloppy workmanship. Case knives are mainly for collecting these days and they have had a spotty history with quality over the past 20 years or so. I have sent a couple back to the factory but they did fix or replace them. Once, I got an additional free knife in my favorite, but discontinued, design for my troubles! Their customer service was always pretty good.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't have them in my hands at the moment but I don't think any of the blades or tools on my Victorinox knives have any side play.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have never seen a new Vic that had any blade play. I have seen some that were used hard that had some. Vics are amazing quality for the price. In fact, they are better than a lot of very expensive knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I have had bad luck with Victorinox lately and I think the quality control is seriously not there. The Pioneer X I got recently is atrocious. It had big machining marks and other blatantly visible defects on various tools and the scissors spring pops out to either side. It's the last vic I will buy. I would rather have a Case than any vic product and to be honest I was never a SAK fan but now they have pushed me waaay to the other side. The big blades flex and they just seem like junk. This was bought from the victorinox factory store in Prague.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Midnightrider wrote:I have had bad luck with Victorinox lately and I think the quality control is seriously not there. The Pioneer X I got recently is atrocious. It had big machining marks and other blatantly visible defects on various tools and the scissors spring pops out to either side. It's the last vic I will buy. I would rather have a Case than any vic product and to be honest I was never a SAK fan but now they have pushed me waaay to the other side. The big blades flex and they just seem like junk. This was bought from the victorinox factory store in Prague.

Wow man, that's a bummer. I can't say I've ever had a single issue like this. In fact I would regard Victorinox as one of the best high volume production knife makers in the world when it comes to quality control. Just had one of my SAK's out, it definitely doesn't have any side play on any of the tools or blades, even the thinner ones.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

I used to carry a traditional slipjoint regularly. I have been offering up some of mine with lower end steel (1095) as trades.

Some dude asked if there was blade play. I want to say most of my traditional slipjoints have some sort of play. They have hold open, but they usually wiggle up and down and the pivots aren't super tight, they wiggle side to side, but they cut and they open and close and function normally.

A while back, Derrick from Knives Ship Free made an entertaining video about traditional knives. It basically mentioned that some knives are referenced as "the Sebenza of traditionals" and he gave the example of calling something "the Ferrari's of Bicycles" and how a user would get one and say "this bicycle doesn't drive like my Ferrari, it doesn't brake like my Ferrari, it doesn't park like my Ferrari" and he just goes "Yeah, because IT'S A BICYCLE!" He tells people not to expect Sebenza quality from a good traditional.

*edit* I found the video. https://youtu.be/_7_zVY8e8Mc
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I checked my production slip joints. There was no horizontal blade play in the Case Baby Butterbean and damascus Tiny Trapper, Schrade Old Timer (USA made) stockman, Queen whittler, or Victorinox Alox Bantam and Alox Pioneer. Only the hard used, 45 year old, Buck slim trapper had any blade play and I'm pretty sure that could be improved with a couple of taps with a rubber mallet.

Bottom line: no, you shouldn't expect Sebenza level fit and finish, but neither should a slip joint come from the factory with horizontal blade play. Some blade play may develop over time.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I carry a German Eye large lockback Sodbuster in my right back pocket as I have several years now and this knife still shows no signs of noticeable blade play. Also I have a Canal Street Canittler that I carry in my left front pocket which was made in 2007 and none of the three blades have any significant amount of Blade play.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Short answer... NO !! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)