The Official Gun Brand and Caliber Debate thread!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: The Official Gun Brand and Caliber Debate thread!

Post by Doc Dan »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:48 pm
Just got this one in today. Sig P229R in .357 Sig. Night Sights and Legacy Slide. But no SRT. No matter though, she'll be going to Texas to see the Sig Armorer for a trigger job.
I've owned 4 of those. Great guns and I really like the caliber. It is my favorite handgun caliber. Buffalo Bore makes a screaming load for this round.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:32 am
MacLaren wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:48 pm
Just got this one in today. Sig P229R in .357 Sig. Night Sights and Legacy Slide. But no SRT. No matter though, she'll be going to Texas to see the Sig Armorer for a trigger job.
I've owned 4 of those. Great guns and I really like the caliber. It is my favorite handgun caliber. Buffalo Bore makes a screaming load for this round.
Thanx Doc :)
There is just something about the P229 in 357 Sig. Besides it being an excellent pistol and caliber. I've really always liked them a lot.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Doc, if a gun is shooting low and you want to bring her up, do you change front or rear sight? The 357 sig calls for 8/8 I believe.
I cant remember what number changes represent up or down in front or rear sight.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

The old timers would file down the front sight, very carefully, a little at a time. I'm an old timer.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Mac wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:31 am
The old timers would file down the front sight, very carefully, a little at a time. I'm an old timer.
Thanx Mac. :)
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Well, a few months ago I finally broke down and bought an AR15 like all you youngsters have. In fact, I bought two from Grabagun.com. One is a DPMS Panther in .223 for $399 and the other is an ATI pistol in 300 Blackout for $369. They are not likely to get any cheaper and they are my "insurance policy" against a Blue Wave.

In the past, I have had some good luck speculating on the ebb and flow of gun control fears. About 1990, I bought three brand new Norinco SKS rifles for $65 each. Gave one to my brother in law, one to my Dad for a truck gun and kept one. After the Crime Bill passed, I sold mine for $135. A few years later the Assault Weapons ban that was part of the Crime Bill was repealed and I bought a MAC 90 for $200. Panic buying ensued again with the election of President Obama and I sold it for $400. Two years later when Republicans regained the House, I bought an AK47 pistol for $400 and when Obama was re-elected sold it for $800 .

The SKS truck gun has served for nearly three decades on the ranch taking down some hogs and coyotes. One song dog met its end just this past Labor Day weekend. The MAC 90 and AK47 pistol were still new in the box when I sold them, having never been fired.

Not sure if I will get around to shooting the ARs. I don't really expect a Blue Wave but those "Black Rifles" are not going to get any cheaper and I can still remember them selling for around $3000 when the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban kicked in.

Don't forget to vote.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ya know Mac, I don't own an AR, but I do have a Sprungfield M1A Scout and an M1 30 Carbine. Love both.
I would one day like to have a .223 though.
Been thinking about the Armalite with that Timney trigger, 3 pound single stage. 13.5" barrel
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Thank you for veering the thread back on track.

From the CMP, I bought myself an M1 Garand and my Dad an M1 Carbine like he carried as an advisor back when Viet Nam was two words. The http://thecmp.org/ will begin selling 1911 pistols by lottery. I signed up for that, too. Entries for this year's allotment of 8,000 pistols is closed but there should be another drawing next year.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Here is something I've been having fun with -- an air sandgun.

Wasps on the porch are a problem out here in the country. There is wasp spray of course but I wanted to shoot them. First I bought a https://www.bugasalt.com/. It does not have much power but the salt works on soft insects like flies and spiders. Anything with an exoskeleton like a wasp is only mildly irritated if you shoot it.

After more Googling I found http://bugblaster.net/. I had a .22 Crossman air rifle almost 60 years old collecting dust so I bought the Bugblaster adaptor and stabbed it into my Crossman. It can shoot salt, silica sand or fine steel shot. I started out with salt and pumped it up about 8 times. This really makes wasps angry. Next I bought silica sand. That knocks them down. Best shot so far was five at one time.

Instead of shouldering the air rifle, I have better luck putting my arm out and hold it like a pistol to get closer to the target. The media, salt or sand, never enters the air rifle. It stays in the adaptor. It's great fun.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have a Bug-A-Salt but I haven't come across any wasps to try it out on, just mostly flies and spiders and whatever my daughter wants dead.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Here's a pic of my M1A
This is by far and away the softest shooting .308 I've ever shot.
Hickok45 says in some ways it's even softer shooting than an FN SCAR. And, the sights are incredible.