The Official Gun Brand and Caliber Debate thread!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Re: The Official Gun Brand and Caliber Debate thread!

Post by Evil D »

Well looks like my P10C is going to have to wait, NOBODY has the dang thing in stock and I'm not sure about ordering one before I even hold it let alone fire it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I always preferred HK to Sig, though Sig is a fine maker. HK is not to blame for that huge honkin pistol made for the armed forces. That was strictly on the US Military and "too many cooks in the kitchen". Still, Glock is better, by far. Some do not like the grip angle so enter the CZp10. I think it is probably a fine firearm. CZ makes really fine firearms. I would not hesitate to buy one and try it out.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Got to shoot the P10 tonight...whoa baby. I'm not saying it's the best compact 9mm on the market, but I think it deserves the hype it's receiving.
~David
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:Got to shoot the P10 tonight...whoa baby. I'm not saying it's the best compact 9mm on the market, but I think it deserves the hype it's receiving.
CZ or Crossman? :D

Seriously, the CZ P10 looks to be a really nice pistol. Perhaps the military should have looked at that one. I see they are having a lot of problems with the new Sig.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:
Evil D wrote:Got to shoot the P10 tonight...whoa baby. I'm not saying it's the best compact 9mm on the market, but I think it deserves the hype it's receiving.
CZ or Crossman? :D

Seriously, the CZ P10 looks to be a really nice pistol. Perhaps the military should have looked at that one. I see they are having a lot of problems with the new Sig.

Hey my first gun was a Crossman :D

I guess I'm lucky that I'm not completely brand biased to any gun brand just yet, it helps me keep an open mind. I definitely like my Glocks and I guess I trust them more than most but I don't fully trust any mechanical device to never fail. I'll be shooting the crap out of it in the coming weeks and we'll see how it performs. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever shot a pistol that felt more confidence inspiring, it literally sends the rounds where you point it and there is no fancy trigger mastering required.

Part of all this also just comes down to what works for the individual. I have an old hand injury where I broke the bone in the back of my hand behind my index/trigger finger years ago, and that caused my finger to have less reach and a little less range of motion than usual, so on a Glock 19 even with my huge hands it's a reach to get on the trigger. The Gen5 removing the finger grooves improved this issue for me but the grip is still so blocky compared to the P10. The trigger guard could still be a little more open but I think that's a problem I've had with just about every semi auto pistol I've fired.
~David
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

I have the other problem, small hands and short fingers. Shooting revolvers double action is a chore for me, especially now that I am older and weaker.

It's counterintuitive, but the big old slab sided 1911 .45 ACP fits small hands well. Being single stack, it has a relatively small grip diameter. And the single action makes for a very short, easy trigger pull.

By comparison, modern striker fired double action only, double stack magazine 9 mms have a blockier grip and a longer trigger pull.

Polymer frames make for light handguns, but a 1911 Commander or officer style with an aluminum frame is also light in weight. In the past, most of my shooting was with an all steel government 1911 but now I have a polymer XDs and a Colt Lightweight Commander. The XDs is very handy and inexpensive enough that I don't worry about everyday wear and tear.

Finally, you don't need no stinking trigger guard.

https://gundigest.com/more/classic-guns ... 911-pistol
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mad Mac wrote:I have the other problem, small hands and short fingers. Shooting revolvers double action is a chore for me, especially now that I am older and weaker.

It's counterintuitive, but the big old slab sided 1911 .45 ACP fits small hands well. Being single stack, it has a relatively small grip diameter. And the single action makes for a very short, easy trigger pull.

By comparison, modern striker fired double action only, double stack magazine 9 mms have a blockier grip and a longer trigger pull.

Polymer frames make for light handguns, but a 1911 Commander or officer style with an aluminum frame is also light in weight. In the past, most of my shooting was with an all steel government 1911 but now I have a polymer XDs and a Colt Lightweight Commander. The XDs is very handy and inexpensive enough that I don't worry about everyday wear and tear.

They make those marvelous Scandium framed 1911s and Commanders at S&W. If you install a short trigger you are in business. I had one of the Springfield LW 1911s. They kick more but are a joy to carry.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Mad Mac wrote:I have the other problem, small hands and short fingers. Shooting revolvers double action is a chore for me, especially now that I am older and weaker.

Built a couple pairs of near identical 1911's for a couple of Texans back a few years ago. First and only time I asked buyers to sign a safety waiver upon delivery....those open trigger guards are nostalgic but also a safety nightmare.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

OldHoosier62 wrote:

Built a couple pairs of near identical 1911's for a couple of Texans back a few years ago. First and only time I asked buyers to sign a safety waiver upon delivery....those open trigger guards are nostalgic but also a safety nightmare.
I don't blame ya one bit for having them sign a safety waiver. Really cool piece!
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Here is my Scandium frame Gunsite SW1911PD like the one carried by Tom Selleck in some of the Jesse Stone movies. I also bought a Yaqui holster for it like he wore. So far, I have not worked up the courage to actually carry it.

Last edited by Mad Mac on Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
johnson

Post by johnson »

I Tested some new ammunition that I want to start carrying for self defense in my G19C. It's the Hornady Critical Duty 135+P. I Am really pleased with this ammo so far. It has a little less snap/recoil than the Magtech Gaurdian Gold 115+P that has been my carry ammo for the last couple of years. I Didn't experience any loading or cycling issues with these rounds and I've seen some good write ups and reviews of them. Lucky Gunner has some very informative info and testing of practically every self defense round on their website. Has anybody here got any experience with these rounds ? Any other advice or suggestions are welcome.
GR 2.jpeg
johnson

Post by johnson »

After testing the new ammo I had a short "Stress Relief Therapy Session" ! :D It works like a charm ! I'm feeling great !
GR 1.jpeg
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I got this guy back in October. Initially I fell in love with it, the ergonomics are fantastic and it shoots like a dream. I do however have an issue with trigger finger blister from rubbing the bottom of the trigger guard. This is less because of the gun's design and more because I have a gimped up right hand and my reach going into the trigger is at an unnatural angle. I plan on selling it as soon as I figure out an easy/safe way to do so (literally never sold a gun in my life so I don't know what I'm doing lol).

~David
benben

Post by benben »

Just picked up a new HK P30 V1 light LEM from my FFL this past Friday, just couldn't turn down the deal. I'm pretty sure I'm going to order a P30SK this coming week also! And this is coming from a certified Glock fanboy!!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:I got this guy back in October. Initially I fell in love with it, the ergonomics are fantastic and it shoots like a dream. I do however have an issue with trigger finger blister from rubbing the bottom of the trigger guard. This is less because of the gun's design and more because I have a gimped up right hand and my reach going into the trigger is at an unnatural angle. I plan on selling it as soon as I figure out an easy/safe way to do so (literally never sold a gun in my life so I don't know what I'm doing lol).

An HK P7 would make you a good pistol, I bet. So, too, would the Steyr. I say the Steyr because they have an unusually shaped trigger guard.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
benben

Post by benben »

Evil D wrote:I got this guy back in October. Initially I fell in love with it, the ergonomics are fantastic and it shoots like a dream. I do however have an issue with trigger finger blister from rubbing the bottom of the trigger guard. This is less because of the gun's design and more because I have a gimped up right hand and my reach going into the trigger is at an unnatural angle. I plan on selling it as soon as I figure out an easy/safe way to do so (literally never sold a gun in my life so I don't know what I'm doing lol).

Hey David, not sure if you or anyone else here knows this......HK just had a pretty significant price decrease on P30, P30L, P30SK, and HK45 pistols! As a rule of thumb, you could almost buy two Glocks for the price of one HK, never thought I’d see the day where I could buy an HK for less money than a Glock, but I just did!
Mtnhiker18

Post by Mtnhiker18 »

Carry gun: Sig 1911 Nightmare carry in .45acp
Car gun: Sig P226 TacOps 9mm
Range gun: Ruger .357 magnum
Home gun: Mossberg 930 SPX 12ga
SHTF gun: Sig MCX 5.56

I prefer to carry a .45acp due to the big holes it makes and the amount of ft lbs of torque it hits with.
In the car I opt for high capacity, i can shoot the 9mm fast and accurately.
At the range I like shooting my wheel gun and the .357 mag just feels great to target shoot with.
At home theres nothing better than a shotgun. The 1st 3 rounds are 00 buck and then its 5 1oz slugs
Im not sure if I'll ever need the AR but its nice to have and makes me proud to be an American.

The only round I dont run is the .40 due to its snappy recoil.
If glock would mold their grips like a Sig Id convert and carry a glock.

I think all of the above rounds are just as deadly as the next. The question is which caliber will you enjoy and shoot the most? Thats the caliber you should get.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

greencobra wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:03 am
i've been lucky for the most part with semi auto pistols. the only gun i've owned that was crap was a walther ppk/s. bought it new when interarms put out the stainless version way back when. couldn't get that to feed anything, rn or hp's. didn't matter what brand i used either. i gave it a fair shake but no go. go figure, walther is one of the most respected brands out there. it happens to the best of 'em. it didn't sour me on the brand, i like those ppq's, nice price point, decent ergo's, shoots like a demon. don't own one but shot one....someday, when i get the extra cash.
Funny you should say this. I had the same experience with the exact same gun. Can't remember exactly but I think it was in the mid 80"s. One of the few guns over many years that I've gotten rid of. The PF9 with light loads ran better than the PPK/s. Wouldn't trust my life with either.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

My old PPK/s would feed most stuff with one mag but not the other. That one was the one that first started me marking my mags. I remember Interarms well. They also imported those Czech (?) Mk.X rifles. A glossy blued 98 action on a nice walnut stock. Mine was .270 but IIRC they had most calibers including belted magnums. It was a beautiful rifle for under $300 back in the early 80's. Triple R(?) guns in Colorado Springs?

Joe
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Just got this one in today. Sig P229R in .357 Sig. Night Sights and Legacy Slide. But no SRT. No matter though, she'll be going to Texas to see the Sig Armorer for a trigger job.