The Official Gun Brand and Caliber Debate thread!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
mb1

Re: The Official Gun Brand and Caliber Debate thread!

Post by mb1 »

greencobra wrote:
mb1 wrote: They shoot .44 spcl too? Not as cheap I imagine...
you need to reload if you're an intense shooter. although not as cost efficient as it once was,reloading still is the way to go if you want to shoot 500/1000 rds a week. the only ammo that is fairly cheap in my area is 9mm and frankly, that's not what i want to spend my time with on the range. right now i'm experimenting with .357 sig. factory ammo out the door is close to $43 after tax for 50. i need to reload it out of pure economics.
Wow - no kidding. That is pricey for recreation...
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That is far too expensive. 357 Sig ammunition is normally $17 to $19 for a box of 50 FMJ. HP ammo is normally $18 to $50 for a box of 50, depending on the maker. I love this cartridge. It is good for defense and it can take whitetail, too.

Someone mentioned not liking to shoot a 3" barrelled .357 Magnum and it can be a bit noisy. I had a Model 13 3" (FBI model) and it was a great shooter. I wish I had kept it. I had no issues. I do not like shooting .44 Magnum handguns much, however, though I have owned a few.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Doc Dan wrote:.....357 Sig ammunition is normally $17 to $19 for a box of 50 FMJ. HP ammo is normally $18 to $50 for a box of 50, depending on the maker.
17 to 19 bucks...wow! the ammo i got was hp, the brand slips me at the moment but nothing i was familiar with at the time. but it's not always stocked at my local shops. i ended up buying 1000 pcs of 357 sig brass from starline and went from there. got a decent deal on bulk hornady xtp 125 gr. hp's so that's what i'm loading at the moment.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The best Ive ever done om.357 sig was I believe $289 for a thousand rounds of speer fmj (speer lawman)
357 sig is usually $35-$40 a box for 50 rds of plain full metal jacket - hollow point is much more pricy for 50 rounds.
Wal mart, when they have 357 sig is about $33-$35 for a box of 50 fmj.
357 sig, usually, is pretty dang expensive.
Ive yet to see a box of 357 sig (50 rounds for $17-$19)
More like $35-$40
Unless of course, you buy in bulk or see it on special online somewhere. Hardly ever does that happen.
You may find some on line for $19-$20 a box for 50 rounds - but whats it cost to have it shipped? At least $10 I would imagine. That $30 a box.
No, when you see it in Wal Mart or other lgs, its always usually $30+
Last edited by MacLaren on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I would have liked a Gen 4 Glock 40 10 mm with a six inch barrel. Can't have those in Calif, so I picked up a Gen 3 Glock 21 and added a KKM Precision 6" barrel. Great case support. Looking for some 45 Super to try.

It's ugly but fun.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

shunsui wrote:I would have liked a Gen 4 Glock 40 10 mm with a six inch barrel. Can't have those in Calif.....
we live with some head scratching restrictions also in massachusetts. but, if something pops up via private sale we can own it. my motto is "where there's a will there's a way." lol and of course the extra cash for the premium price one pays.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

So...if a pistol is too large to conceal you can't own it, but if it is small enough to conceal you can own it? What I would say to that would get me in trouble with the moderator.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

greencobra wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:.....357 Sig ammunition is normally $17 to $19 for a box of 50 FMJ. HP ammo is normally $18 to $50 for a box of 50, depending on the maker.
17 to 19 bucks...wow! the ammo i got was hp, the brand slips me at the moment but nothing i was familiar with at the time. but it's not always stocked at my local shops. i ended up buying 1000 pcs of 357 sig brass from starline and went from there. got a decent deal on bulk hornady xtp 125 gr. hp's so that's what i'm loading at the moment.
Yes, just do an online search. I just did. My prices are accurate.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Do you guys use Wikiarms or the like? Great way to search and sort the 'nets for best deals, including Walmart inventory.

There's some reman .357 Sig out there as low as .29/.30 per rnd by the case. These lowest deals aren't always the most desirable brands of course.
- Mark

greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Doc Dan wrote:Yes, just do an online search. I just did. My prices are accurate.
we can't have ammo shipped to massachusetts. i sleep better at night knowing the ag is protecting me to the max. lol
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I did not notice that you were in Boston. Loved the city when we lived there, hated the government. Being from the South I kind of thought the governmental officials were from another country...or even Mars. Still, love Boston.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

we got some beauties here. i just got new neighbors next door. they fly a thin blue line flag out front, up the walk way is a "hate has no place here" sign followed by a "no trespassing" sign and out back is the largest gadsden "don't tread on me" flag i've ever seen. talk about mixed messages. haven't met anyone yet, almost afraid to.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

greencobra wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:Yes, just do an online search. I just did. My prices are accurate.
we can't have ammo shipped to massachusetts. i sleep better at night knowing the ag is protecting me to the max. lol
Grrr. Betchya the lawmakers' body guards can get it shipped.
- Mark

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Has anyone shot any critters with a .357 Sig? I wonder how well you thought it performed.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Doc Dan wrote:Has anyone shot any critters with a .357 Sig? I wonder how well you thought it performed.
Have shot 2 deer and 3 coyotes with the SIG, deer both ran about 80± yards and died. Both were heart shots and the bullets were fully expanded when recovered. Loads were my own, not factory, and quite hot.

The 'yotes took front shoulder hits from about 50 yards, 2 ran about 150 yards and died and the third ran 80 yards but took another shot to put down. Same loads as used on the deer mentioned above.

Have killed the normal farm vermin also but small game isn't much of a comparison.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

That is some fine pistol shooting. It is not unusual for game to run for 8 to 12 seconds after being fatally wounded. It can take that long for their blood pressure to fail, even after being shot in the boiler room by a high-powered rifle.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

147 grainers???
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Mad Mac wrote:That is some fine pistol shooting. It is not unusual for game to run for 8 to 12 seconds after being fatally wounded. It can take that long for their blood pressure to fail, even after being shot in the boiler room by a high-powered rifle.
Not really, both deer were shot at approx. 35-40 yards so placement wasn't difficult. My normal hunting handgun is a 44 magnum (240gr jhp @1250fps) and the deer don't run far after the hit, which is almost always a full pass through neck shot from the same range, but I was a little leary of the SIG being able to pull that off so I went with heart shots. Glad I did.
Last edited by OldHoosier62 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:147 grainers???
No, these were some 135gr bullets that the maker was wanting to try in the field after they had lab tested them. I sent them the expanded bullets with all the data for them to crunch the numbers on.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Those are disappointing results. I have seen deer anchored with .357 Mag 125 gr JHPs.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050