The Official Gun Brand and Caliber Debate thread!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
OldHoosier62

Re: The Official Gun Brand and Caliber Debate thread!

Post by OldHoosier62 »

MacLaren wrote:
OldHoosier62 wrote:To each his own...

My carry rotates based on my business for the day. But is consistently one of the following -

Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum w/ 4 5/8in. barrel for around the farm or working in the woods. 240gr Keith loads in the cylinder.

Colt Combat Commander in 45acp for my normal EDC. Hornady 230gr JHP +P loads in 3 magazines and hardball in the last.

If I have to go to a bad area or anticipate a problem then I carry my Para P-16 that I have converted to 10mm (barrel swap and magazines tweeks are all that were required to do this).... Buffalo Bore 180gr is my current favorite in this pistol, 1350 fps on my chronograph and very accurate.

No offense to anyone here, but it's really not what you shoot them with but where you shoot them at. Unfortunately, I have had to shoot people in my lifetime and have seen many others shot. Some go down like they were struck by lightning with a 380acp and others take a full house 44 and keep coming. Nothing is written in stone and nothing works EVERY time.

As Colonel Cooper said, "Use your handgun to fight your way to your long gun."
Hey ole buddy :)
I'm still lovin that M1 A Scout. She's somethin else...
Good to hear...just don't try out an AR-10 or you'll be drawing up a "For Sale" sign for that antique.....lol
Last edited by OldHoosier62 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

The Snowman wrote:
greencobra wrote:edc a g20 10mm. as big as a cinder block but 10 will put most anything down. won't penetrate the higher level of body armor but will put the little thug on his behind seeing stars and birdies.
Is 10mm even still practical? I'd thought .40S&W phased it out a looong time ago.
LOL.... Show me a .40 S&W that can launch a 200gr JHP at over 1200fps. We call it the .40 "short and weak" for a reason.
Donut

Post by Donut »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
Donut wrote:
Did you take a back pack for all of that?
Hehehe. How ya doin' Big D?
I'm good, how is the world treating you?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Mad Mac wrote:Yours are bigger than mine.

Tiny Seecamp .32 shown with diminutive ClipiTool.
I don't wear a suit anymore nor do I carry very often.
But this is the only pistol that I have been able to carry all day, everyday.
Recently, on a two week trip from Houston to the Outer Banks of North Carolina,
it rode in a Doug Childers Bear Creek convertible holster,
either in the hip pocket of my jeans or the front pocket of cargo shorts.

That's an awesome looking gun.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Here are some that I have either built, cerakoted, stippled, or all of the above.

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Donut wrote:
I'm good, how is the world treating you?
Except for being a few years older, I'm fine. Glad to hear you doing good. :D
mb1

Post by mb1 »

i am travvy wrote:Here are some that I have either built, cerakoted, stippled, or all of the above.
That stippling is cool. I've seen it before but never read how it's achieved. In 3 sentences or less...how do you do that?? ;)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

mb1 wrote:
i am travvy wrote:Here are some that I have either built, cerakoted, stippled, or all of the above.
That stippling is cool. I've seen it before but never read how it's achieved. In 3 sentences or less...how do you do that?? ;)
Dremel, soldering iron, custom tips for the iron, patience, and a steady hand.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Mad Mac wrote:Yours are bigger than mine.

Tiny Seecamp .32..........
oh man, i figured you east texas guys for s&w mod 19's or 27's on your hip, or a ruger om blackhawk in .45 colt. or a locked and cocked 1911. i guess i spent too much time reading bill jordan and skeeter skelton when i was younger. a .32 acp?? really?

i'm from a few miles north of boston, we use mouse guns for our 3rd back up, in case our primary and back up might go kaput, we pull out the little guy just to feel safe while we run away. :p (just teasing is all)
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

i'm not a fan of stippling glocks but your doing some beautiful work, i like a couple designs but this one above is hot. and looks factory too. we might have to talk later regarding doing one for me in the future....assuming you do take on the work.

very nice work, your post was a great display.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

i am travvy wrote:
mb1 wrote:
Nice man! That's kind of what I imagined, and now I'm even more impressed. Sounds pretty labor intensive.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

greencobra wrote:oh man, i figured you east texas guys for s&w mod 19's or 27's on your hip, or a ruger om blackhawk in .45 colt. or a locked and cocked 1911...
You mean something like this?

Or this?

Nah.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Mad Mac wrote:You mean something like this?

Nah.
Lol, yep! they'll do just fine. ;)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Its a crime what photobucket did......I had some really nice pics to show. But not anymore.
At any rate, gotta bolt rifle on the way. A Savage 16 Bear Hunter in 300 wsm. I love the 300 short mag.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

MacLaren wrote:Its a crime what photobucket did......I had some really nice pics to show.
yeah...no other way but a hosting site for photos here??? i'm open to ideas.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

https://www.shutterfly.com/ bought out Photo Works after Photo Works dumped many hundreds of my pictures. Fortunately I had them backed up. So far, Shutterfly has not dumped my pictures even though I have had no activity for years.

In the meantime, I began using Picasa which I really liked. Then Google bought Picasa and changed it around a little. I'm resistant to change but getting the hang of it. I already had a Google account. Not sure if you need one to use https://photos.google.com/.

I like web hosted stuff, but if something is important better back it up. You never know.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

greencobra wrote:

i'm not a fan of stippling glocks but your doing some beautiful work, i like a couple designs but this one above is hot. and looks factory too. we might have to talk later regarding doing one for me in the future....assuming you do take on the work.

very nice work, your post was a great display.
mb1 wrote:
i am travvy wrote:
mb1 wrote:
Nice man! That's kind of what I imagined, and now I'm even more impressed. Sounds pretty labor intensive.
Thanks!
And if interested send a message
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Very nice work travvy!
Josh