Filling, low carb foods and breakfast ideas?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Filling, low carb foods and breakfast ideas?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What are low carbohydrate, low sugar foods that are not so calorie-dense but nutrient-dense, and filling, that a person can eat for breakfasts and lunches and dinners, that are both low in fat and low in carbs, but which taste good? I welcome all recommendations. For example: Any good breakfast wraps/burrito ideas?

I have been compiling a list and I welcome all suggestions. Thank you all in advance.

Also, what are good alternatives to traditional bread, for sandwiches? I know some people have begun to use lettuce and other leafy greens to put fillings in.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Filling, low carb foods and breakfast ideas?

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:What are low carbohydrate, low sugar foods that are not so calorie-dense but nutrient-dense, and filling, that a person can eat for breakfasts and lunches and dinners, that are both low in fat and low in carbs, but which taste good? I welcome all recommendations. For example: Any good breakfast wraps/burrito ideas?

I have been compiling a list and I welcome all suggestions. Thank you all in advance.

Also, what are good alternatives to traditional bread, for sandwiches? I know some people have begun to use lettuce and other leafy greens to put fillings in.
If you have any ideas already that are high protein, I would appreciate it if you would share them. I eat chicken or tuna from breakfast. No fat, low carb and a little oatmeal (need a few carbs, but only 1 or 2 exchanges). The idea of using lettuce instead of bread is not new. It was so popular back in the 2000s that even Burger King offered a Whopper with no bread, wrapped in lettuce.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Low fat with low carbs is dangerous long term.

Big vegetable medley made out of stir fried broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, carrots, onions or shallots, hard boiled eggs and some cheese, next time stir fried kale, spinach, zucchini, with tuna salad etc
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I've been eating a low carb, high fat diet for the last two years, with incredible positive results. My staple breakfast food are eggs, fried in olive oil, cheese, tomato, sometimes bacon, coffee with cream. Some days I'll have leavy greens with that. No bread or juice or other carbs. Otherwise I would often have left-overs from the previous nights dinner, which is usually some meat and low carb vegetables, again no starch. The key for me is to eat enough good quality fats (cream, butter, cheese, olive oil etc) with each meal because thats the substance that keeps me full in the absence of carbs. I also steer clear of processed foods, i.e. anything in a package...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Low fat or fat free cottage cheese. I like it with tomatoes and some salt and pepper.

Fat free cottage cheese is basically pure protein. Just watch the sodium. It can be salty.

I eat cottage cheese and scrambled eggs for breakfast all the time.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

My typical breakfast.

Eggs, cottage cheese and fresh produce are the basis for most of my breakfasts.

Eggs fried in bell pepper slices.

Baked avocado and eggs with guacamole on toast and a few apple wedges. Blueberries go well with cottage cheese too.

I am a naturally thin person and I enjoy jogging so I can eat heavy carbs at times. One of my most favorite indulgences. Butter garlic spaghetti with fried eggs. SO GOOD! I like to run and this is my race fuel.

Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mb1

Post by mb1 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:What are low carbohydrate, low sugar foods that are not so calorie-dense but nutrient-dense, and filling, that a person can eat for breakfasts and lunches and dinners, that are both low in fat and low in carbs, but which taste good? I welcome all recommendations. For example: Any good breakfast wraps/burrito ideas?

First off, dang it Darby! Making me HUNGRY!

SEF, I highly recommend you check out Tim Ferris' "slow carb diet." The summary is available for free on a google search (will locate it later for you are interested.)

I've never been a fan of diets in general. I believe more in a healthy, active lifestyle. Diets come and go, and you just end up back where you started...or worse.

That said, I'm a middle aged guy fighting the middle aged fight. I've always been on the lean side, but when I started losing a notch or two on my belt (and that's ALL the indicator you really need ;) I tried this Ferris system. It's the only time in my life my entire family criticized me for getting TOO skinny!

You'd have to skim thru the whole plan, but it's not complicated. You basically replace all white starches with beans. You get a cheat day once/wk when anything goes. Fat disappears.

I eat this way about 50% of the time now. It works.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Post the link to Tim Ferris, please.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

@bearfacedkiller great pics and great lookin' eats!
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Doc Dan wrote:Post the link to Tim Ferris, please.
Hey Doc, here's one that captures it pretty well. This is really just a chapter out of his 4 Hour Body book.

[url]ttps://medium.com/@erinfrey/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-slow-carb-diet-a67062761d92[/url]
- Mark

SpyderEdgeForever

rosaann wrote:I eat some low fat curd cheese with some berries and a bit flavdrops in the morning. Or lean grounded beef with some vegetables.

Thank you that seems to be a good idea. What do you do if you want bread but don't want the carbs of bread? Use replacement things instead?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have been trying a low sugar and low carb (less than 30g of each per day) combined with high fat and high protein. I believe the term is "Keto", my wife and I are experiencing great results both physical as well as mental.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mb1

Post by mb1 »

xceptnl wrote:I have been trying a low sugar and low carb (less than 30g of each per day) combined with high fat and high protein. I believe the term is "Keto", my wife and I are experiencing great results both physical as well as mental.

Landon, I miss a lot of your pics. I'm seeing a "-" sign for many of them (not all).
- Mark

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

mb1 wrote: Landon, I miss a lot of your pics. I'm seeing a "-" sign for many of them (not all).
I think it may be a google thing. I have them shared in a public album, but perhaps you need a google account to view?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Streak

Post by Streak »

I have been on low carb for a few years (No pizza, no pasta, no sandwhiches etc.). I followed this guys plan to start with and have now adapted it to suit myself.
Here are some great recipes.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/recipes/
embry386

Post by embry386 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Also, what are good alternatives to traditional bread, for sandwiches? I know some people have begun to use lettuce and other leafy greens to put fillings in.
I use tortillas sometimes instead of bread, make burritos out of everything. They're probably not much lower-carb than bread though, I guess... sure are tasty though, and less prone to getting soggy and falling apart if you let them sit in the fridge a few days.
bearfacedkiller

A small 6 inch tortilla is pretty much the same as a single slice of bread when it comes to calories and carbs.

I don't really have a good alternative for bread for sandwiches but I have used lettuce as a substitute for tortillas when making tacos.
-Darby
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've never been much for diets, but about 3-4 weeks ago I was talking with Nate here on the forum and he gave me some info about cutting out wheat and sugar so I thought I'd give it a try. It has been very difficult as I was basically a Coke crack head and I never realized how many foods have wheat in them. So far I'm almost a month in and I've lost 15lbs doing nothing more than changing what I eat. I haven't drank anything but water in that time which is nothing short of a miracle for me, and only a couple cheat meals and the occasional bit of Halloween candy (dangit lol). I still need to drop about another 25lbs or so but I feel like I'm on my way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Steak & eggs is a classic tasty breakfast that is very low carb. Don't overcook the steak and I think it is fairly healthy as well.
SpyderEdgeForever

Evil D wrote:I've never been much for diets, but about 3-4 weeks ago I was talking with Nate here on the forum and he gave me some info about cutting out wheat and sugar so I thought I'd give it a try. It has been very difficult as I was basically a Coke crack head and I never realized how many foods have wheat in them. So far I'm almost a month in and I've lost 15lbs doing nothing more than changing what I eat. I haven't drank anything but water in that time which is nothing short of a miracle for me, and only a couple cheat meals and the occasional bit of Halloween candy (dangit lol). I still need to drop about another 25lbs or so but I feel like I'm on my way.

I am glad that is working out for you David, I too gave up soda and have tried to replace it mostly with water (filtered and carbonated) and it helps. I knew a guy who would have three cans of Coca Cola classic every morning for breakfast. Can you imagine that? I asked him "does that satisfy you?" and he said "yes" and claimed it gave him energy. I knew someone else who was literally addicted to Diet Pepsi. He'd go through six packs and cases of Diet Pepsi and also the large family-sized multi liter bottles of the stuff, every day he probably consumed gallons of it. Later on he died of various physical health complications, supposedly with a can of Diet Pepsi near him or something. Do you think Diet drinks are safer like a friend recently told me or its best to keep away from them? I try to stay away from them.