Favorite zero tolerance?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mako109

Re: Favorite zero tolerance?

Post by Mako109 »

My favorite four:

0562CF: My favorite camp folder. The slicer grind is great for food prep. The beefy build and frame lock can stand up to batoning shingles and kindling. One of the most comfortable folders to hold; they really got the ergos dialed in on this one.

0095BW: Generous belly, high flat grind, thinner blade and simple all titanium construction excels at fish gutting, bleeding and gilling. Makes a great sashimi slicer (for a folder). Easy to clean and maintain. I keep this on the boat and for salmon season.

0452CF: Long, slender and light. Flipper fires out the big blade like a rocket. Had fun deboning a pheasant with it, but other than that I haven't figured a specific purpose for this. But man I love flipping this thing. Handle one and you'll see what I'm talking about.

0392BLK: Comes in several flavors, mine is murdered out in all DCL black. The monochromatic black color scheme is a modder's dream. Nearly all the parts are interchangeable with Rick Hinderer's Eklipse series and he offers all the components in a variety of flavors. I've switched out the black hardware for titanium blue, then later to copper, and now working on switching it out to natural satin titanium. And this thing is built like a tank.
vivi

Post by vivi »

yablanowitz wrote:I'll let you know when they build one I would buy. It hasn't happened yet.
This.
:unicorn
Donut

Post by Donut »

I only have one, a Knives Ship Free 770 in CPM-M4.

I don't really like assisted open folders or flippers, but it is a pretty nice knife. It's not heavy or a pry bar like most of their knives.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

0777, but it saw no pocket time and ended up selling it in order to fund a micarta Calypso.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I was looking through the ZT line up recently. Difficult for me to find non flipper/non bearing models. I used to like ZT and still have a couple older models but they are all similar models that try to look different but really aren't very much different other than superficially. They are good quality in my experiences though. I no longer buy flippers nor knives with bearings ( KVT or other) . I have some I just don't like or use or trust to be honest.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I've only owned two. One 0550 which had a pretty bad lock stick (gen 2, before the stainless lock bar insert) and my current ZT which is the discontinued 0200 which is pretty nice. I'm not sure how I feel about the edge retention of their 154cm though. Doesn't seem all that great. I love the knife overall though. Especially the ergos.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have only Spydercos, and will only have Spydercos. They are all I look at or consider anymore. That said, no one else liked the 0500 Mudd Folder? Just wondering. I thought it was a cool and unique knife.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

LOL I just sold my 0920. Every single knife I own now is only Spyderco, kind of funny being I didn't know anything about them less then two years ago. I'm still going to get the 0460 though I think..something about Persians..
Josh
remnar

Post by remnar »

Does anyone else feel as ignorant as I do while reading this thread? Seriously, what's a 0920 or a 0392 or a 0777? All of these numbers mean nothing to me. :confused:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

remnar wrote:Does anyone else feel as ignorant as I do while reading this thread? Seriously, what's a 0920 or a 0392 or a 0777? All of these numbers mean nothing to me. :confused:
;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

remnar wrote:Does anyone else feel as ignorant as I do while reading this thread? Seriously, what's a 0920 or a 0392 or a 0777? All of these numbers mean nothing to me. :confused:
If you don't know anything about Spydercos than Delica, Military, Native etc would mean nothing to anyone. Last time I checked Spyderco numbers their products as well. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
The Snowman

Post by The Snowman »

I learned the hard way that the 0909 is NOT a folding prybar, by any means. :D But as my first ZT, it was pretty solid and I loved (almost) everything about it.
~Jonathan, the Snowman.
remnar

Post by remnar »

holeshot wrote:
If you don't know anything about Spydercos than Delica, Military, Native etc would mean nothing to anyone. Last time I checked Spyderco numbers their products as well. :)
Agreed!

I think some pictures would be helpful, though, for us non-ZT people. :)
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

remnar wrote:
holeshot wrote:
Agreed!

I think some pictures would be helpful, though, for us non-ZT people. :)
Go back in the thread and you will see some pics. I believe that my 0392 is there. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Skoalart

Post by Skoalart »

I like both of my zt knives. The 0456 and 0700
Attachments
1514684409_tmp_20171230_193944.jpg
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Since ZT has mostly framelock, I become curious on the design of most ZT framelock, and others too, from structurally soundness point of view.

On Sebenza, Military and Slysz Bowie, the pivot center is quite supported by non cut part of the frame, or very near to the division line between the frame/handle spine and the lock cut out. It is structurally still being supported by the non moving parts.

ZT 0550 for example, the center of pivot is located on the frame at the short “L” leg, which means it has torsional load against the non moving frame. A more extreme example is RUIKE P801 (not ZT, but the pivot is even further after the bent of the “L”). A more sound structurally tp support the pivot is what Reate Hills where there is “J” rather than “L” frame. Or put the pivot within the length of the “L” or right at the edge of the split.

It’s hard to convey what i mean, hopefully the sample provides clear distinction. Having less support on one side is always a concern for me that I prefer lockbacks, BBL/CBBL, Axis, etc. liner lock is slightly better as the additional layer of G10, CF, etc. provide support to the locking side of the slab.

Thoughts?
Chris :spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Owned a few and have liked many others since but very few purchased. The 0350BW was my favorite ZT ever, though I suspected I would have loved the 0600 RJ Martin collaboration had I even been able to fork out the pretty penny the wanted for them. Anyone own one of those beauties?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

0560 BW

0562 CF

Fans of the 0560 might be interested to know Hinderer has just come out with the Skinny XM-24.

Blade thickness is the same as the XM-18.

I'm holding out for a satin 204P slicer grind with no choil.

It could happen. :D