How do you handle the casual 'check out my knives!' folk?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Knifestyle

How do you handle the casual 'check out my knives!' folk?

Post by Knifestyle »

I don't mean the instagram collectors, I don't mean forum posters, I don't mean the guy at the class or job site who wants to show off his new Military. I mean the friend of a friend who hears you collect or train, your friend's teenage son, your brother in law, etc. And they show you the best of what they've found at the local hardware store, the flea market, or that one specific Renn Faire stand that sells sharpened blades. They're proud, and they want to share.

Personally, I have made a rule to myself that I will never tell them what's wrong with their possessions or their collection. I'll say what I like about the handle when I grip or test it, ask where it came from, etc. It gets tricky when they know I train with blades and they ask how each would perform when I know the tips will snap or the handle will slide out of the hand, but I refuse to discourage some one who has a sensibly fun hobby like knife collecting. My good friends have an Uncle Bill who lives with them, every party or outing he usually has something at his desk or in his car to show me. Very passionate, loves quality in what he shops for locally, I mention what brands I carry but will never tell him he's collecting wall hangers.
El Gato

Re: How do you handle the casual 'check out my knives!' folk?

Post by El Gato »

There is an old saying, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".
Though difficult at times, I have found that to be pretty good advice. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I encourage them. I'm not gonna stand there and cut down their knife, maybe that's the best they can afford. I'll tell them what I like about it and then maybe show them mine and if they like it I'll maybe tell them about the steel etc and that's where I can teach them a little about why mine cost so much more. Usually those people get pretty wide eyed when you tell them it costs $100+ and they either move on or want to know more.
Last edited by Evil D on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I find a positive and elaborate on it about their knives.. Tell them to keep it sharp.. Then offer to sharpen it any time they feel it needs done.. I will show them mine but wont elaborate on any of its benefits over theirs.. If the interest is there I go slowly.. Its just neat to have another knifer to talk to too!!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

It's usually the other way for me! :eek:

My mates tell me how stupid I am for paying $AU300 for a knife when they paid $AU28 for their knife that does everything mine will plus their's has a nice wooden handle, not a plastic one. I just laugh! :rolleyes:

The other week one of my mates came over with his wife and we asked them to stay for a BBQ, I think you call it a grill. Anyhow, I grabbed my little Gransfors Bruks hatchet and split some kindle. When I was done Tez wanted to look at it and commented on how sharp it was and asked "What that set you back?" I told him about $AU150 odd and he started to laugh and told me I was an idiot and he bought one from Aldi not long ago and it only cost him $AU12 plus it has a fibre glass handle which had to be better than a wooden handle! :confused:

I laughed, shook my head, told him he was probably right and got him another beer! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

It depends on the person and what they're like when they present their knife to me. I've had a few people that mean well, so I'll compliment them on carrying a knife in the first place, then talk about what I like about their knife then tell them about some options that might interest them. Delicas, Enduras, maybe a PM2.

Other times I've had folks approach me that know full well what my hobby is and they present some piece of crap knowing that it's a piece of crap (and no, they don't carry it). They do this for a laugh, so I then will proceed to explain why their knife is poorly designed and inferior in every way! Shaming! I've actually had success using this method.

Over the years I've convinced most of the people in my unit to buy their own Spyderco as well as a couple of my friends. Most went straight for a DLC para 2, while a couple of them own multiple Spyderco's now. Only one chose to buy a knife but didn't go with Spyderco. I think she purchased a kershaw or something.

I guess my answer is, it depends on the person. :)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

People show me their knives all the time....most of what I see is pure crap....that people will end up hurting themselves using.... I can't bring myself to tell them how nice or how comfy it feels in my hand when it's crap!....So I pull no punches....you want my expert opinion? It is crap!!! and belongs in the garbage before you hurt yourself with it....then I make suggestions on what they can purchase depending on their user needs, price range,etc etc... If you don't want the truth...well don't ask me....Doc:)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:People show me their knives all the time....most of what I see is pure crap....that people will end up hurting themselves using.... I can't bring myself to tell them how nice or how comfy it feels in my hand when it's crap!....So I pull no punches....you want my expert opinion? It is crap!!! and belongs in the garbage before you hurt yourself with it....then I make suggestions on what they can purchase depending on their user needs, price range,etc etc... If you don't want the truth...well don't ask me....Doc:)
Ah, hahaha! ;)

What do you tell them when they ask you to sharpen their nice new knife? :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Way back when, while I was in graduate school, I worked in a sporting goods store. One young man who had gotten interested in firearms came in and I showed him a pistol. He stood there, admiring himself in the mirror, standing in the gangsta pose with the gun turned sideways and we started making fun of him, snickering and laughing. I will never forget the look on his face. He left and never came back and probably lost his interest in firearms due to our rudeness. I never forgot that lesson.

When someone wants to show me their junk knife, I compliment them on the fact they have a knife. I tell them what I like about it. I can always find something good to say, even if it is just "cool!" Then I leave it at that. If I have the chance and they want to see my knife, I will take it out and show it to them and just say something to capture their interest like, "it has a super steel blade". That usually piques their interest and I educate them gently into the world of better knives. Better a friend won than an enemy made.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I had kinda a related issue. Sometimes people see my Millie and ask me to show it to them. I have this nightmare some idiot will carve himself up or at least try to see how sharp it is by running his finger along the blade edge... My friend at work asked me to see it and I opened it and showed him and said sorry man I'm not letting anybody hold it so they don't cut themselves. Yes, it's sharp...
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I've had it plenty of times:
"So you're into knives too?"
"Yep"
"Let me show you my collection"
*handed iPhone showing picture of a duvet littered with non-brand folders, zombie axes and tin-foil throwing knives.
Here we are always presented with a classic choice: Be snob or be kind.

I will always be kind:- there's always something nice you can say about even the cheapest Jarbenza* collection- Even if it's "Wow- that's a nice bright handle. Be easy to find in the dark".....Then perhaps share some ideas about VG10 and S30v being something amazing- Something that this person might light to try. That Spyderco offer some amazing knives that are maybe at the top end of their current purchasing, but it's going to be world away in terms of quality.

Remember: They have a passion too but it's unmoulded- unnguided. With your gentle care, they might find another convert to the Spyderbite.....They will maybe thank you in the future for the epiphany.

Their bank manager won't, but he should be used to people letting him down by now. :D

*A term that I truly love, borrowed from Blade Forums: The blanket term for all and any small knives that are displayed in a jar on a market stall/ gas station counter. Invariably combo edged 'surgical steel' and less than the price of a small pizza. :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I had a friend show me a sheepfoot style knife made in China. Liner lock flipper. He was telling me that you could cut down with it and then just flick it up to cut with the spine/tip.... The spine and tip weren't even sharp. This is something a "salesmen" told him. I asked to see the knife. Lightly spine whacked it and the lock failed. Showed him the yojimbo 2 and recommended he never try that slashing upward move he told me about. Even told him about the DLC S90V yojimbo. Then I told him how much it cost but he understood after seeing my CF one why it was a better knife. Especially for that "upward slash". It's hard being a knife knut sometimes.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Generally, I look at their knife. I don't say much other than "nice knife."

Frequently, I will investigate sharpness. If they ask if it is sharp, I will answer them honestly. Generally, I don't offer to do anything other than look.

Sometimes, someone shows me something really great. Then, I usually fawn over the knife like they would. Then I show them my knife.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Bloke wrote:
Dr. Snubnose wrote:People show me their knives all the time....most of what I see is pure crap....that people will end up hurting themselves using.... I can't bring myself to tell them how nice or how comfy it feels in my hand when it's crap!....So I pull no punches....you want my expert opinion? It is crap!!! and belongs in the garbage before you hurt yourself with it....then I make suggestions on what they can purchase depending on their user needs, price range,etc etc... If you don't want the truth...well don't ask me....Doc:)
Ah, hahaha! ;)

I think people don't ever ask someone to sharpen a new knife.

I was talking to someone who had a knife for a long time and it was super sharp and they have cut themselves so many times. I asked them to cut paper... it didn't even hint that it could cut the paper, it did nothing but rip the paper.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Get all enthusiastic and happy about meeting another knife fan, admire their knives, show off mine. Managed to briefly turn my Linux club's meeting into a knife show-and-tell meeting last time I went, which was fun, and I got to see some cool switchblades.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I had kind of a fun thing happen when five of us were enjoying breakfast together at the local IHOP last week. Our little group of friends consisted of three certified, card carrying knife junkies, and two ladies who understand the addiction. One of the guys had trouble opening one of those little cream containers. Another promptly whipped out his Edura without a second thought and cream was served, which very soon turned into a knife show at the table with even the ladies digging into their purses to add their little miniature purse knives to the show and tell.

Everyone at our table was having a good time when I happened to glance over at the next table across the aisle where a lady was taking this all in. Apparently she had never encountered a "knife show" at that particular IHOP before. I had to give her a smile, and almost invited her to join us. She was watching us with intense interest and seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the entertainment. I think if her husband, who was totally unaware of what was going on, had not been with her she might have come over and joined the fun. The five of us are all "older folks" which, along with all our knives, likely added to the entertainment factor ..... :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I am polite and see no reason not to be no matter what knife a person carries. I do wait and talk to who ever told the person that I was a knife guy too that I don't enjoy having my likes and dislikes repeated to others. I then repeat to myself that I was foolish telling someone my business because it invariably leads to stuff like this. :) Then I no longer have anything to do with those that tell others my business and what I may or may not do with my time.

It's honestly nice being in a position to be able to do that. I've had careers being around people I don't like and can't trust. If I'm not being paid to then there sure isn't any reason to people like that now. :)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The only time for me has been from my nephews. As they're family, I was very rude about their junk, and then gave them something far better (N5&Yo2).
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bloke wrote:
Ah, hahaha! ;)

I'm with Dr. Snubnose and tell them how it is as politely as I can.

Being a butcher by trade get a lot of requests to sharpen and look at knives.

Older lady at work brang 7 knives in the other week for sharpening and I only sharpened 2 told her the rest were shiet and the steel was too hard and would stuff my stones up. She listened to my advice about not needing a $300+ knife block set and I got her a butchers boning knife for $35 and she loves it. Came in the other day with a cake she made me.

Cool when you can turn the little old lady at work into a knife person.. :D
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
atv223

Post by atv223 »

My issue has been some family members know I like knives and buy knives for Christmas or my birthday. Unfortunately,they get me something out of a Lillian Vernon catalog or similar. They are super excited and I just try to put a smile on my face focusing on the pretty handle material. I'm developing a good collection of these, stuffed in a box somewhere. If anyone wants to trade for a Spyderco, feel free to PM me!