Carrying only a fixed blade

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MichaelScott

Carrying only a fixed blade

Post by MichaelScott »

For reasons not important here I will be carrying only a small fixed blade knife daily. Looking for lightness, reasonably small but still useable for a variety of knife tasks I got a Mora Eldris for $22 USD.

I will post occasionally with updates on this experiment.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Carrying only a fixed blade

Post by Doc Dan »

I sometimes carry a small fixed blade. Usually an Izula or a Candiru in my pocket. I have occasionally carried an Outdoor Edge Wedge. That is a real bargain and a very useful knife. I carry it in my pocket, as well. I have carried others, such as a Kershaw Hunter Field Knife, as well. But, I still prefer the Izula more than all of them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Don't want to be sounding like a broken drum but I can't think of a better fixed blade EDC that some of the stuff that Spyderco has. The STREETBEAT and SWICK both come to mind. I've EDCed the STREETBEAT and really liked it.

Now for a bit of a larger fixed blade I"ve also EDCed the original Spyderco TEMPERANCE 1 model. It's one of the very few fixed blades that Spyderco made in SE & PE both. And it's really a beast in Spyderedge.

Also I've seen some of Boker's smaller fixed blades that look like they would also make great all purpose utility blades. Let us know what you decide upon :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have an Eldris. I like Moras. The Eldris has a super comfy handle and is nice and light and well constructed. It is bulky for EDC and I do not like the blade shape. Way too much belly and too upswept of a tip. I was very excited about it but rarely use it.

The Izula is nice but I find mine is a sharpened pry bar. Too thick for the length of the blade and the edge came really thick.

The Becker BK14 and the Spyderco Street Beat are both great EDC fixed blades for me.

I have put many many miles on my BK14. Simple, affordable, lightweight, sturdy, ergonomic and just the right size.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

I've often thought the Buck PakLite caper would be an interesting option for this.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

For a long time now I have edc'd a Spyderco Mule. For me at least I find it to be perfect combination of size, weight, and performance for the cutting needs I have. Everyone's, budget, preferences and needs vary, but for myself the Mule does it all. I often forget I am carrying it, but it's always there.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I sometimes carry a WoodsKnife Mini taskupuukko. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Got a L. T. Wright Patriot a couple months ago.. It sees belt very often.. Handy and great kitchen slicer too.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

I often carry a Böker Anso Base neckknife, but i'm extremely excited for the upcoming Lionsteel M1... Very pricey but i can't wait to check it out: 2.9 inch blade of M390 Steel.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I like to carry a Kiridashi or two in my pockets....Doc:)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Spyderco Ark carries better than any other FB I've tried, though it's definitely under sized for some tasks. I put a G clip on mine and carry it on my belt or waistband at 1 o clock, same with the.....

Swick. Carries very well, very secure grip, just enough blade length, comfortable handle.

Street Beats are fantastic. Very classy if you go with the Micarta option, and the deep choil makes it intuitive to grip and use. Smooth handle it comfortable IWB and draws well.

When I lived up north and wore heavy coats during the winter, sometimes I'd put an Aqua Salt on my belt. Too large to EDC year round, but with how light it is it carries better than you'd expect for the size. The FRN texture can be uncomfortable if you try a carry method that keeps it next to your skin FYI.