Glock is still trying

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Glock is still trying

Post by Doc Dan »

It seems Glock is trying to force the military to actually finish the testing that was incomplete for the selection of a sidearm. It was noted in the GAO that the SIG had reliability and accuracy issues, when compared to the Glock, which was superior in this regard. This also tracks with tests I have seen on YouTube that Glock easily passed and the Sig did not, and with my own personal experience with Glock and Sig products (though not the P320).

http://www.businessinsider.com/glock-ch ... 17-7/?IR=T
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
yablanowitz

Re: Glock is still trying

Post by yablanowitz »

That would be a pretty big contract. I'd say it would be worth fighting for.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've heard the Sig reliability is not what it used to be. I went to Glocks from Colt 1911's and a S&W 4516 due to reliability issues with most every 1911 I've ever had as well as problems with the compact S&W. It had a recall, needed replacement magazine floorplates and still failed to feed. Not one malfunction with the 3 ( 17, 23, 27) Glocks. None! The S&W was even looked over by my S&W factory instructor who essentially just finally shrugged his shoulders and gave up. I know Glocks can have problems but I have never seen one.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I have never had a malfunction with a Glock, and I have never seen one, nor had anyone else that I know (and that is a lot of Glocks!). I have read about them, but I have no way of knowing how they were induced. I have heard of kabooms, but I have a high suspicion they were induced on purpose or by using purposely improperly load ammunition.

I do wish Glock would come off its high horse a bit and do a truly modular pistol. It would be very easy for them to do, as they already have the block. It only needs to be removable.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Picked up a Glock21 recently. Goes well with my '87 Colt Officers and '89 S&W 625. All three work well for me. Which is why it only took me about 30 years to buy the Glock. Hey, we didn't have all those youtube videos back when.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There's just nothing I trust more than a Glock. I've put thousands of rounds through mine and have never had an issue, not with any brand ammo including cheapo Perfecta from Wally World. The torture tests I've seen Glocks put through are nothing short of ridiculous. There may be other brands that are very reliable but none that I trust as much as my Glocks.

I had a feeling this testing wasn't over. I think the Gen 5's would have been out by now if otherwise. If the leaked images are legit then I'm super excited about the G19 Gen 5.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

A maxim from my Marine Corps years was "Always remember, your weapon was made not by the best manufacturer but by the lowest bidder."

Looks like nothing has changed.

btw - I don't like the idea of Glock getting the contract either.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have owned practically every kind of handgun worth owning and wouldn't have anything but a Glock. The only Glock I can't recommend is the 42 and 43 because they don't make higher rear sights for those two. According to the person I talked to at Glock they didn't think the high sights would look right on such a narrow frame. Every Glock I have owned in 9 mm shot low with the 115 grain Cor Bon +p ammo that I shoot and I have always had to go to the highest one with three marks on the side. They are the most accurate reliable pistol I have ever shot
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The older West German and German Sigs, you can count on. Very reliable and when in single action, supremely accurate imo. But, not so at all now a days imo. The triggers are crap, the quality control is bad, - Sig just aint what it used to be imo. They do however make a very nice 1911 though imo. That's why I have only German/West German models, with the lone exception of a P229 in .357 Sig. The trigger has tons of creep in it too. At any rate, I'm a Sig guy. But as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to plastic/polymer whatever ya call it, Glock is hands down the best imo. Ive handled a p320 and have owned Glocks. I like the Glock much better. They dont call them the Austrian Super Gun for nothin. They're one heckuva combat pistol imo.
I just think it very strange Glock didn't land the Military contract. I do feel though that Sig did make exactly what the military wanted though. And that may have sealed the deal.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I'd take a glock over a sig, even the older sigs.
Glock is an excellent floorboard pistol, high quality beater, it's true to the timex slogan.
But... there's a lot of characteristics that keep it from being my handgun choice if I were looking for a fight (offensive).

I find it odd the articles' 25k service life. I have a couple pistols with 6 times that (not glocks), that I would take to battle and stake my life on.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I can certainly see anyone wanting a Glock over a Sig, new or old. Consistent trigger pull and lower bore axis help. Plus Glocks are about indestructible and maintenance is just crazy easy.
But I like to target shoot a lot and theres where I really like my single action Sigs and 1911 models.
Nothing wrong with having.multiple pistols for different applications.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Sigs are not all bad and I shoot the P226 really well. However, after owning several Sigs, HK, Colt, S&W, Springfield, HD, Para-Ord, you name it, I got rid of all of them and kept the Glock. It is far and away the better handgun. If a person does not like the grip angle it is because they do not understand the intent behind it. Still, this is easily changed on a Glock. What is not to love?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

This discussion is a slippery slope, because people take their weapons of choice very seriously. That said, even though my Dad would still take a revolver if he was still around, I believe Glocks are as reliable and trustworthy as you can get. I'd choose one for my only handgun without a second thought.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I've had 3 glocks. A g22, g19, and a g26. Around 10k rounds through the g22(used to compete with it before) around 3k for the g19 and over 1k through the g26. Although they are a beast to be competitive with in shooting sports, I trust all of them with my life. I used to be a range officer and I've also seen a lot of them used in competitions. Hands down the handgun with the least malfunctions out of the box. You do occasionally get a lemon but I've seen high priced 1911 style guns really have tuning problems. Once they're well tuned, the high end 1911's do work well but the smaller ones like the commander and defender sized ones really have to have a lot of work done before they are as reliable as glocks.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Would Glock pistols hold up well in tropical enviroments and heavy salt water enviroments?

Also, when it comes to Glock knives, would you change the blade steel from that carbon spring steel they use to a more high alloy stainless of some kind or not?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Glocks are pretty well environmental proof, especially salt and tropical, if factory original. As for the knives, I do not know what steel they use. I know they have a reputation for being nearly indestructible and are easy to sharpen in the field. These are both qualities I would want in a field knife.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Pretty hard to argue against a gun that does so well with so few parts (and accessible ones, too).

I've had not one glitch with my 19, 26, 20, or 43 (several thousand rounds, at least, through each).

Unlike the US military, I have no need for modular handguns. But modularity was the requirement and Glock didn't deliver.

I think the loss is the US military's, not Glock's.

And for civilian Glockers, there is now less worry that thumb safeties will creep into the wild and confuse the message.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”