NYC knife laws question

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Holocene Extinction

NYC knife laws question

Post by Holocene Extinction »

I am reopening this thread as I plan to travel to a few parts of NYC I do not frequent very often and have reconsidered taking a blade.

What is the likelihood of someone ( well dressed, non violent, married, etc. ) that had a fixed blade under 4 inches being detained and taken into custody.

I'm not worried over charges, I know the case would be dismissed. However I wish to take a
CHRIS REEVE KNIVES: NYALA - INSINGO GRIND

58-59 RC
Blade Length: 3.75"
Blade Thickness: Full Tang 0.180
Overall Length: 8.5"
Handle Material: Brown Canvas Micarta
Weight: 6.2 oz

Would I have any trouble if this was found on me ( aka the " dangerous weapon " bs law. ) Or should I be good?
The Deacon

Re: NYC knife laws question

Post by The Deacon »

In theory, as long as it is COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY concealed, it's legal. In practice, when it comes the legality of any given knife in NYC the only certainty is that it cannot be guaranteed.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Holocene Extinction

Post by Holocene Extinction »

The Deacon wrote:In theory, as long as it is COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY concealed, it's legal. In practice, when it comes the legality of any given knife in NYC the only certainty is that it cannot be guaranteed.
Good enough for me, the blade is 3.75 inches long and I'll make sure it's concealed and won't tell anyone I'll use it to defend myself.. or my wife.

Because remember in NYC only the bad guys can carry anything with confidence. I would rather get fined then be unprepared.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I'll second what Paul has said. Keep the fixed blade completely concealed and you should not have any problems. Do not bring a folding knife to NYC, even a tiny ladybug on your key chain should be left at home. Any item that you use against another person who is unarmed can be considered a "dangerous weapon" according to NY law. Doesn't have to be a knife or a gun to be considered a "dangerous weapon". Have a great time in NYC!....Doc:)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What would happen over there if a big politician, like a mayor or governor, were to become totally pro knife, and push through a law allowing people to carry any kind of knife they want, as long as they were not seeking to assault others?

Also, is it true that in some places, even if a person is attacked, and the attacker is unarmed, ie, no physical weapon other than their body, and the person defending themselves IS armed with a physical weapon, ie knife or club or whatever, the defender of themselves can actually be charged with a crime, even though they were not the one initiating the attack?
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:What would happen over there if a big politician, like a mayor or governor, were to become totally pro knife, and push through a law allowing people to carry any kind of knife they want, as long as they were not seeking to assault others?

Also, is it true that in some places, even if a person is attacked, and the attacker is unarmed, ie, no physical weapon other than their body, and the person defending themselves IS armed with a physical weapon, ie knife or club or whatever, the defender of themselves can actually be charged with a crime, even though they were not the one initiating the attack?
Never gonna happen in NY......unless there is some sort of Federal Legislation that orders NY to be Pro-Knife.

It is very true what you say SEF, The only solace in all of that is to know that each and every case will be handled and judged by it's own merits and not just lumped together with other cases in a generalized manner. Lets take two situations as an example. The First one I'll make up (hypothetical) the Second example I witnessed first hand.

In example one, two enraged motorists pull over to the side of the road and stop their cars to confront one another. Both motorists are shouting profanities and their postures are threathening. Motorist one approaches Motorist two and pushes him on the chest.
Motorist two responds by hitting Motorist one in the head with a lead pipe he was hiding behind his back since he existed his vehicle. (Soooooo Does Motorist one get off or not?) What says you!)

In example two: Two Men in their mid twenties are having an argument at the bar (after quite a few drinks). One challenges the other to go outside which they do. The empty hand fight begins between the two combatants, and two friends of one man jump into the fight. (3 on 1) The three men beat this man so badly I thought (as an observant) that he would surely die at the scene....once they knocked him to the ground there were three pairs of construction boots repeatedly kicking and stomping the guys head in from three different angles. From the ground in a last ditch effort the guy on the ground pulls a Benchmade Mini Griptilian from his sock, He stabs one man in the calf, reaches up and slashes at another cutting his femoral artery and the third man ran away. There was blood every, you can't begin to imagine. The Police picked up Mini Griptilian man several blocks away from the bar, he was staggering home, the Police arrested him. (Does Mini Grip Man get off or not?) What says you!

I have answers for these examples if anyone is interested, or maybe you want to try and figure this one out for yourself for awhile, point is each and every case is so different from one another they must be treated on an individual basis......Doc:)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

In example two: Two Men in their mid twenties are having an argument at the bar (after quite a few drinks). One challenges the other to go outside which they do.
In this example everybody gets charged with something. As a responding officer I'd see that both sought trouble by going out to fight. I'd work with the DA to decide which charges apply to who. There are no guarantees on what charges go with who. All need to lawyer up. :)
In example one, two enraged motorists pull over to the side of the road and stop their cars to confront one another. Both motorists are shouting profanities and their postures are threathening. Motorist one approaches Motorist two and pushes him on the chest.
Motorist two responds by hitting Motorist one in the head with a lead pipe he was hiding behind his back since he existed his vehicle. (Soooooo Does Motorist one get off or not?) What says you!)
Same here. Nobody gets off on this one. Both committed crimes.

You can't claim self defense when you are in the act of breaking the law. If there is an aspect of self defense then the person just gets a lesser charge rather than attempted murder or something like it.

It's expensive to break the law especially as an adult. I would go from being polite and following the laws directly to doing whatever I had to do in self defense/defense of my family. There is not much middle ground. I may get charged in a legitimate self defense situation , or I may not but whether I am or not I know there was no other choice.

In this country being in the right may not protect a person from our modern media driven lynch mobs. There have been glaring examples of that so I'm not going to do anything other than what I have to to survive intact. After that I'll worry about the other stuff.