McGregor vs Mayweather set for Aug. 26

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

McGregor vs Mayweather set for Aug. 26

Post by Evil D »

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
murphjd25

Re: McGregor vs Mayweather set for Aug. 26

Post by murphjd25 »

Heck yes finally!!! My money is on Connor!! Been waiting for this fight for too long! I can't wait for the Irish man to knock out Mayweather.
Josh
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's gonna come down to distance. Connor has never fought a 12 round fight and despite having great conditioning, I just don't know how he's going to handle himself if this fight goes into the later rounds. But, I'm also sure he's aware of that and between now and then he'll be training his butt off. I also think Mayweather is gonna spend 12 rounds running from Connor, and if Connor gets ahold of him he's gonna get humiliated.
~David
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Evil D wrote:It's gonna come down to distance. Connor has never fought a 12 round fight and despite having great conditioning, I just don't know how he's going to handle himself if this fight goes into the later rounds. But, I'm also sure he's aware of that and between now and then he'll be training his butt off. I also think Mayweather is gonna spend 12 rounds running from Connor, and if Connor gets ahold of him he's gonna get humiliated.
MMA is not the sweet science. Mayweather will school Connor. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

holeshot wrote:
Evil D wrote:It's gonna come down to distance. Connor has never fought a 12 round fight and despite having great conditioning, I just don't know how he's going to handle himself if this fight goes into the later rounds. But, I'm also sure he's aware of that and between now and then he'll be training his butt off. I also think Mayweather is gonna spend 12 rounds running from Connor, and if Connor gets ahold of him he's gonna get humiliated.
MMA is not the sweet science. Mayweather will school Connor. :)
There is no standing clinch in MMA. When Mayweather gets tired there won't be anyone to stand with and hug, only punch after punch after punch.
~David
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

It's probably going to come down to conditioning. Mayweather will run around and run away from Connor for 12 rounds, but if Connor can connect just once Mayweather is going night night, and if he can figure out how to make it 12 rounds I don't see him losing. Is going to be a very interesting fight for sure. I'm still putting my money on Connor:)
Josh
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

McGregor has never had a pro-boxing match but if I remember right he was a pretty accomplished amateur boxer. While those two things are very, very different, he at least has some solid background. I doubt he ever went 12 rounds though. In his element, McGregor is almost magical to watch. His control, understanding, movement and power are an amazing combination. However, in his element, Mayweather is absolutely magical to watch.

I highly doubt he'll run from McGregor. he for whatever reason has that reputation but I think it is misplaced. He's a defensive genius who, in my opinion spends a lot of time right in front of people but moves like a well timed slinky to avoid punches. He's also got one of the greatest work ethics in professional sports so as long as he's not just doing this for the cash, which I doubt, then I don't think conditioning will be a factor and as great as McGregor is, it may even favor the 40 year old Mayweather.

Connor definitely has a chance and I think it lies mostly in his power, but Mayweather is a legitimate beast. Don't let his trash talk fool you, that's just the act to draw the crowds, same as it's been for decades. Anything is possible, especially with two guys as talented and dedicated as these two, but if I had to give my thoughts on an outcome? Mayweather will be a hip-jointed spring and will wear Connor down and frustrate him for twelve rounds. I don't think Mayweather is a huge puncher but I see him winning a decision.

I don't keep up with either sport much any more though so maybe I'm wrong. It will surely be a spectacle. Although, one I'm not likely to spend ~$100 to see. :rolleyes:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eli Chaps wrote:
I don't keep up with either sport much any more though so maybe I'm wrong. It will surely be a spectacle. Although, one I'm not likely to spend ~$100 to see. :rolleyes:

I'll be at Buffalo Wind Wings eating wings watching it for free lol.
~David
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Evil D wrote:
Eli Chaps wrote:

I'll be at Buffalo Wind Wings eating wings watching it for free lol.
Good call! :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If it was a MMA fight McGregor would win but it is a boxing match so Mayweather is gonna win. They are different athletes who compete in different sports. This will be less fun to watch then when he fought Manny. It is a safe way for Floyd to hit 50 wins and it is Connor's chance for a boxing level payday. Simple as that.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Win or lose hope to never hear about Floyd again
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
npad69

Post by npad69 »

not too excited unless it is a mcgregor vs pacquiao match.
mayweather is just going to bore everyone and just win by doing a few potshots and a lot of running around.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

McGregor's a harder hitter, may get lucky and I'll laugh if he lands one flush but I can't see that happening. Either way I doubt it will be much of a fight.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Bloke wrote:McGregor's a harder hitter, may get lucky and I'll laugh if he lands one flush but I can't see that happening. Either way I doubt it will be much of a fight.
Bloke, McGregor's going to have to be a kangaroo to out box Mayweather. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

holeshot wrote:
Bloke wrote:McGregor's a harder hitter, may get lucky and I'll laugh if he lands one flush but I can't see that happening. Either way I doubt it will be much of a fight.
Bloke, McGregor's going to have to be a kangaroo to out box Mayweather. :)
Ah, hahaha! :)

I've watched a couple of clips of him sparring a bloke that can box. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

Mayweather is going to get beatedn, and badly by Connor!!! :D
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Win or lose hope to never hear about Floyd again
No argument there. :)
bearfacedkiller

I like Lampley and agree with him 100% here. He obviously isn't taking the fight too seriously. ;)

https://youtu.be/4Jv49_Xx6xU
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

He's obviously very biased towards boxing and he's salty about MMA in general because it's destroying boxing. It's guys like this that really make me want to see Connor win even more.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Boxing is destroying boxing. This cash grabbing stunt is a perfect example of boxing's weakness which is money and corruption. The Mayweather Pacquaio fight was just as bad as this Mayweather McGregor fight. Just a greedy money grab instead of a good fight. People are still bitter about paying for a Mayweather Pacquaio fight that would have been good if they hadn't spent so many years hyping it up for a bigger payday. This stupid fight is gonna set them back even more.

You should look up the stats. Here in the US MMA is a competitor to boxing but globally it isn't even close. Boxing is a global ( I dare say THE global sport) sport and people follow it from the smallest villages in Africa and the Philippeans to the largest cities in ALL of the developed world. Boxing is still the one in the Olympics too.

I like both sports so I am not hating on MMA and if you don't like boxing that is fine. Many people prefer the blood sport to the sweet science, it is the Roman in us all coming out. That said, MMA is still dreaming of PPV viewership like boxing has. MMA is growing faster and may soon outsell PPV events here in the states but to say it is destroying boxing is stretch. Boxing could certainly stand to see some changes but it isn't being destroyed and most of the damage that has been done to boxing they did to themselves.

1.3 million people in the US watched McGregor vs Alvarez.
1.35 million people in the US Watched McGregor vs Diaz
1.6 million people in the US watched McGregor vs Diaz 2

4.4 million people in the US watched a boring Mayweather vs Pacquaio
2.2 million people in the US watched Mayweather vs Alvarez

These numbers are all sad in comparison to the almost 30 million Americans who watched Ali vs Frazier. No doubt boxing has fallen from it's former glory.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby