McGregor vs Mayweather set for Aug. 26

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bearfacedkiller

Re: McGregor vs Mayweather set for Aug. 26

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Mayweather goes 36 minutes in many of his fights, it is how he fights. McGregor will be so gassed by the 4th round that Floyd might even get a KO in his final fight. ;) I predict that McGregor gets his lights shut off mid fight. I'll guess round 5 since I think he is gonna try to be very conditioned.

McGregor has to know that he needs a KO too. He isn't gonna win a points match with Mayweather. He is either gonna come out swinging and get tired or, more likely, they are gonna dance around for 36 minutes while Mayweather jabs his way to a unanimous decision.

This is hard for me to say. I am NOT a Mayweather fan and as my name suggests, I am as Irish as it gets.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's boring dude. Sure it has huge paydays now and sure it has global appeal but it's also the older sport. MMA is the future. Boxing is yesterday's sport. Boxing is only one aspect of what MMA is and this fight is a boxing match simply because everyone knows Mayweather wouldn't have a chance in **** if Connor could use his full skill set in the ring.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Well, of course an MMA fighter would win in an MMA fight. Just like a boxer would win in a boxing match. If either one of them tried to play basketball with Lebron they would lose. That is what makes this whole fight stupid. They don't even compete in the same sport. Who would pay $100 dollars to watch Tom Brady play Lebron James in a game of one on one? Nobody! But for some stupid reason 3 million people are gonna pay to watch a boxer vs a fighter.

As far as diminuating boxing as just a part of MMA, well that is over simplifying it. Boxing is a sport that removes many variables to focus on certain athletic abilities and skill sets. MMA is a pure combat sport and it is basically street fighting. They are well conditioned and well trained fighters for sure but I am just as likely to consider MMA a sport as I am to consider the Romans having three gladiators fight an african lion a sport. It is a blood sport at best. Entertaining? Heck yeah! Of course, so are fights after the bar closes. That doesn't make them athletes and it doesn't make bar fighting a sport.

Is boxing boring? Well sure it is to some. I think baseball is boring. It used to be America's number one sport until football took over. I don't go around saying that football is destroying baseball or that football is a more "complete" sport than baseball. They are two different things so I just don't watch it.

I enjoy the conversation so I hope this isn't coming across really argumentative. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've heard the "boxer is gonna win in a boxing match" argument quite a bit, as if there are no boxers who transitioned into MMA, and MMA fighters just have to be vastly inferior at throwing punches. If you ask me putting an MMA fighter in a boxing match just removes all the other attack variables from the equation and let's them focus on striking alone. This just gives them even greater focus since they're usually defending against far more types of attacks. I just don't see what's so special about boxing that a skilled MMA fighter can't stand up against. To me that argument makes less sense than simply saying one guy is a better striker than the other, since that's ultimately what this will come down to.

And no, didn't take it too argumentative.

And for the record, I'm not even a McGregor fan, I wanted to see Diaz rip his head off the second time ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

I feel like MMA is a fad sport and just for shock value.

The rules for MMA is: Arm Bar wins or Chokes win. I can't understand why anyone wants to watch that. While it might be a little more real than Boxing or Kick Boxing, it sacrifices a lot of entertainment to be a little bit more real. Some of the MMA fights do end up being fights and not hugging competitions.

It seems a little weird that if you saw a bar fight with one MMA guy versus 3 average joes and he managed to break three arms, I feel like everyone would say, "WTF?" not "Wow, he's a great fighter." But more likely in a real fight, he would get punched in the back (or more likely get his head banged into the concrete) by the two other guys while he was doing his Jujitsu magic on the first guy.

Each martial art will make rules to figure out who is the best athlete in their art and MMA just throws out most of the rules to figure out who is the best at not really having any art.

If you're going for real, I would say watching videos of street fighting on Youtube is going to be more entertaining than watching MMA.

I feel like I understand a little bit of the "boxer is going to win a boxing match" thing after seeing Eastwood's story from Million Dollar Baby.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Don't get too excited now....this will all be over by the third round....Doc:)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Look up the Toney vs Couture fight...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Milkman

Post by Milkman »

Evil D wrote:It's gonna come down to distance. Connor has never fought a 12 round fight and despite having great conditioning, I just don't know how he's going to handle himself if this fight goes into the later rounds. But, I'm also sure he's aware of that and between now and then he'll be training his butt off. I also think Mayweather is gonna spend 12 rounds running from Connor, and if Connor gets ahold of him he's gonna get humiliated.
What?

While his cardio has gotten better, he's known for gassing pretty had. It's just that only Nate Diaz has been able to go the distance with him.
Evil D wrote:I've heard the "boxer is gonna win in a boxing match" argument quite a bit, as if there are no boxers who transitioned into MMA, and MMA fighters just have to be vastly inferior at throwing punches.
They're two different disciplines. There's crossover, but there's stuff in boxing that you don't see in MMA and vice versa.

You also get the whole "jack of all trades, master of none" effect.

McGregor is a good striker, but he's had to split his time learning wrestling, jiujitsu, etc. Mayweather has years of pure boxing training and experience at the highest level of the sport.

A good comparison that I've seen is the difference between a triathlete vs a swimmer. They both swim, but a world class triathlete is going to have a hard time outswimming Michael Phelps.
If you ask me putting an MMA fighter in a boxing match just removes all the other attack variables from the equation and let's them focus on striking alone. This just gives them even greater focus since they're usually defending against far more types of attacks.
It works the other way around too. Some fighters are only able to do what they do because they're able to mix up their offense between grappling and striking. Remove one of those aspects and they become much more limited.

For example, Cain Velasquez has a lot of success mixing his boxing and his wrestling, switching between the two and wearing the other guy down without giving them a chance to rest. Against Fabricio Werdum, he couldn't use his wrestling very well because of Werdum's world class jiujitsu. Without the threat of his wrestling, his boxing wasn't nearly as effective and he ended up getting outstruck and eventually tapped.
Donut wrote:I feel like MMA is a fad sport and just for shock value.

The rules for MMA is: Arm Bar wins or Chokes win. I can't understand why anyone wants to watch that. While it might be a little more real than Boxing or Kick Boxing, it sacrifices a lot of entertainment to be a little bit more real. Some of the MMA fights do end up being fights and not hugging competitions.
And knockouts and kneebars and doctor stoppages and decisions, etc.

I understand MMA isn't for everyone, but that's an old argument that's been used for the past 20 years.

There are many different kinds of fighters in MMA and they're not all boring grapplers.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Milkman wrote:
Donut wrote:I feel like MMA is a fad sport and just for shock value.

And knockouts and kneebars and doctor stoppages and decisions, etc.

I understand MMA isn't for everyone, but that's an old argument that's been used for the past 20 years.

There are many different kinds of fighters in MMA and they're not all boring grapplers.
I don't know, I've seen maybe 4 or 5 UFC events and it feels like there is a large percent that end up being just like I described.

It feels like the stars have to align for an entertaining fight to happen.

Even two very good fighters can end up having a really boring fight.

You say for the past 20 years. I went to a local UFC preliminary fight about 20 years ago and it was more kick boxing based and I feel like it was a lot more entertaining back then.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

There's a difference between "thrilling" and "entertaining". I used to marvel at the very first few UFC's when Gracie would just python around under guys for 20min's and then bang, over! To some it was boring, to me it was fascinating as can be. It was a true display of an art form. Of course, that couldn't happen in today's dedicated MMA discipline-driven sport, but the point is, a fight doesn't have to have a lot of blood to be entertaining. Same with boxing. It's about how the fighters engage. If it is just a hug-fest or a track meet or something then yeah, everyone gets made at that but if they are employing the skills of their art and just not landing or being able to dominate or what have you, then to a lot of us it is entertaining.

I would much rather watch a very even match of two craftsmen working very hard to peel the onion back on their opponent than see a guy come out and dominate his opponent in the first round.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I lost my deep love for boxing when Lennox Lewis retired :( In my humble opinion he was the last authentic Heavyweight Champion we had :rolleyes: Well I guess you could throw Evander Holyfield into that mix as well. And don't forget those matches he had with Riddick Bowe :eek:

This fight is kind of reminiscent of when Oscar De LaHoya was drawing all the neon lights. Oh I concede that Mayweather is truly a very talented dude and I won't take that away from him. But boxing just isn't the same to me anymore since the days of Mike Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis and the very memorable Roy Jones Jr. Yeah I'm old school in boxing just like I am with Spyders :D
bearfacedkiller

The Canelo vs Golovkin fight will be ten times the fight that the McGregor vs Mayweather fight will be yet the PPV buy rate will be much higher for the latter. Makes me sad. People would rather see a spectacle than a genuine boxing match.

Floyd does not do well with high pressure attackers which is why everyone wanted to see Manny fight him. Sadly, they hyped the fight up so long that Manny was sort of past his prime. That fight should have been five years earlier. Golovkin is 36-0 with 33 by knockout and he pressures people hard. He also has a scary chin. Mayweather already beat Alvarez but he hasn't fought Golovkin. If Mayweather and Golovkin met in a welterweight bout that would be a fight to watch. That obviously won't happen because Floyd is just as cautious about picking his fights as he is in the ring.

Golovkin is an aminal. I do not think that McGregor can bring this kind of pressure and I think that is the only way anybody is gonna beat Mayweather.

https://youtu.be/qcR1hOHT0GY
-Darby
bearfacedkiller

JD, I was a Lewis fan as well but he picked and chose his fights too much. He also often defended his titles as little as possible is seemed. While he was a great boxer he was the champ during a time when the heavyweight class had little talent. Also, he was 6'5" with an 84 inch reach. That is a lot of reach for even a tall guy. Ali was 6'3" and had a 78" inch reach. Lewis' size was a big part of his dominance.

Buster Douglas knocked out Tyson probably in part because he was 6'4" with a 83 inch reach vs Tyson's 5'10" with a 71" reach. That is nuts! Of course Lewis whooped an old Tyson with a similar size difference. Look how tall Tyson makes Lewis look! Tyson's uppercut was famous because Tyson had to fight from the inside. He never had the reach advantage. He did however hit people harder than most people ever got hit and he pressured people hard.

https://youtu.be/yM6QXfdeRMo

I am still bitter about the Lewis vs Klitschko fight. In that fight Lewis had to square up against someone his own size. Klitschko was 6'7" with an 80" reach. Klitschko was whooping him until he got cut wide open and even after that he had the fight won. All three judges had Klitschko winning the fight when it was stopped and Lewis was clearly out of gas. That was the last truly amazing heavyweight fight!!!! Lewis wanted no part of a rematch and retired instead!!! He knew better.

https://youtu.be/Dg7s7kuX8qQ
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Darby
bearfacedkiller

People are saying "if McGregor can land one good punch it will be all over". I detest that logic. That is called "the punchers chance" and it is a terrible way to build a fight. It means that you are hoping for a lucky shot instead of a hard won victory. It means that you hope the victory is luck and not skill. It means that you are hoping that the better boxer doesn't win.

Sorry for the massive hijack. :o
-Darby
npad69

Post by npad69 »

i'm not even hyped by pacqiuao vs horn upcoming joke of a fight even if he's a fellow country man. not to downplay horn and the past opponents hes had.. its just ridiculous how his promoter is milking whatever they can. pac should've retired a couple of years ago.
i'm definitely going to pay to watch triple-G again though. that guy is one **** of a beast.