if ya have to choose one...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Midnightrider

if ya have to choose one...

Post by Midnightrider »

So I am pretty confused by the choices. The Piranha somebody mentioned in the other thread looks good but it's hard to get here. And I am reading some troubling accounts of Benchmade infidels not holding up in the owner reviews on the Benchmade site.

If you had to choose between Microtech and Benchmade OTFs which would you get? Or are OTFs just inherently fragile compared to other formats? Am I better off with a Mille in S110V? Which I think I need to get anyway :D
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
holeshot

Re: if ya have to choose one...

Post by holeshot »

I own both but find myself carrying the Ultratech more. Protech makes a really nice single action OTF to. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

For me an OTF is more of a novelty knife and a toy. If you want an auto for a user buy a Protech side opening auto you will not be disappointed. Protech's single action OTF Dark Angel is a well built knife. My only issue with it is the charging handle. One of the virtues of an OTF auto is the ability to grip the handle fully while deploying the blade. The design of the Dark Angel's charging handle prevents a full grip on the handle during blade deployment; you have to hold this knife like a side opener when firing the blade otherwise your hand will get in the way of the charging handle's forward movement as the blade deploys.
This Protech/Strider collaboration is one of my EDC's. It fires hard, locks up solid and has a safety. My advice would be to buy a Protech side opener. Look at the above, TR-3, Tr-4 or a Rockeye for a daily user.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Thanks guys. I'm starting to get the feeling otf is just not that practical after all. Those Protechs do look nice especially the Emerson (old fave format of mine) and the godfather. Thanks for the comments.

Your Protech is a beauty
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

If i had to choose between microtech and BM i would buy a microtech halo. Much more reliable than a double action OTF. I think it's fun to have one but as far as edc i don't see it being very practical for most uses. 90% of the time i have a fixed blade on me along with a folder or 2.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I'm on a bit of an auto kick at the moment. I own one OTF (a mini Infidel) and whilst it is fun, I'm not sure how practical it is as a non self defence EDC. It has a funny chisel grind that I haven't gotten around to reprofiling. My Protech side openers (2 Godsons and a Newport) get used regularly and excel in EDC function, are almost as much fun as the Mini Infidel and are really very well made.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I just received a benchmade presidio auto in 154cm (old version) this is a very similar format to one of the other Benchmades I had and liked a lot. The action on this is stiff, the safety is a real clunker. So far not very impressed and I am reminded why I switched mostly to spyderco recently. Let's see if it gets better with age.

Ordered a blade show microtech ultratech, not exactly what I wanted but got it at a fair price and don't have any elmax yet. Still have not found the edc auto for me. Thanks guys
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

The best $35 I've spent in a long time was on a Kershaw/Emerson CQC 4KXL 6055 . Every knife enthusiast should own one. I had one of the first ones in this line and hated it but this one is perfect. It's right there with the Manix 2 XL or Benchmade Triage that I carry
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I would get a Protech.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I'm looking for a protech Emerson. The model I want is not in stock but I'll get it sooner or later. Blade Show 2017 Microtech should be here tomorrow.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I EDC'd a Microtech Ultratech for about 6 months, and it was very reliable. Not super practical, though, and it got me frightened looks from moms at my kids playdates.

I also EDC'd a Microtech LUDT (both of these were before I started using Spydercos) and that was a nice solid knife too.

For actual ergonomics and useability, though, I'd rather have a Manix 2 LW than either of those knives.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I'll be a Benchmade fan from now on since I've had some kind of problem with every lock type there is but the Axis. You simply can't beat the Axis lock and there's no one single thing of interest in the 2017 Spyderco catalog. I have a Benchmade Triage Orange and Black that I love also two 940 Osborne s. About to purchase a Presidio auto, 710 McHenry Williams and 319 Proper Slip joint.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I have an old model Presidio and it's rough as ****. Not much of a sample but based on this one I hate the Axis lock. It reminds me of the safety on a cheap. 45. Just horrible. And it fires kinda lazy-like. The blade is typical lovely Benchmade but I'm really not impressed with this model. I was a Benchmade fan for a long time and carried one pretty much all the time but I started getting away from them.

Oth, I am pleasantly surprised with my Blade Show 2017 Ultratech. Fires like a lightning bolt and very nice Elmax blade. Cheap, too!

So far have not found any contenders to replace my S110v Millie EDC.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Can't beat the Benchmade axis lock. And I would rather have a manual than auto because you can do so much more with the manual. The only way you are going to one an auto Is with that little button but suppose you can't find it or get to it. Every Benchmade I have can be turned upside down and with a quick flick of the wrist the blade will open and lock. An auto is just like a button lock that locks the blade open and closed and that's why I wouldn't have one. You can't even pinch the blade open from the top if you need to.. Also there is another problem with the auto like some I looked at the other day that would fire open but not lock. The dealer was trying to tell me you had to put some wrist action in at the end . I just said no thanks and walked away. I don't want any autos.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Stop and think about how an OTF operates and think about what forces there would be on the knife if you actually had to stab something.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050