Cleaners. Lubricants, Polishes & Maintenance stuff?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: Cleaners. Lubricants, Polishes & Maintenance stuff?

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:
Evil D wrote:Heck even Glock only use copper anti-seize on their pistols, nothing fancy.
I just did a little reading on this, I guess Glock says only to use copper anti-seize if you are going to store it for a long time.
When I worked for a power plant we used Copper Anti-Seize compound for all kinds of applications>> the stuff we used was "Nuclear Grade". I've actually thought about using it on folding knives. However Militec's synthetic grease has been such a super performer for me>> but if the anti-seize compound has advantages I would sure like to know about it.

Speaking again of "STP Oil Treatment">> it is a superior lubricant and has a lot of unique properties to it. I've thought that maybe some of the older stuff might just be overlooked or just forgotten about.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I use Renaissance wax, Semi Chrome and Eezox synthetic on knived
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I use Renaissance wax, Semi Chrome and Eezox synthetic on knived
I've used a lot of those last two you mentioned over the years. I was actually surprised at how good that SEMI-CHROME polish works on aluminum.

Most of the guys I know that are really heavy into firearms really love that Eezox. But I still prefer Militec myself for firearms. Like I said if someone can show me something better than Militec I would switch to it immediately. But I've had such good luck with it over the years I'll just stick to it for now. And Militec's Grease is really something special in that category.
vivi

Post by vivi »

for lube I've always stuck with plain mineral oil. Handful of pennies can buy you a lifetime supply, it's sold basically at every grocery store and drug store in the country, it lubes well and its completely food safe.

Some of the fancier lubes have absurd prices IMO. For something as simple and non-critical like a pocket knife I don't think its worth what they ask.

I like Penny Brite for cleaning my sharpening stones. I keep a wet rag on my work bench when reprofiling or sharpening multiple knives and wipe down my stone when excess debris builds up, then two or three times a year I soak them in hot soapy water for a while then go to town with the Penny Brite. Makes them as close to new as I've been able to get.

As far as cleaning my knives I'm simple. Run them under the sink with hot water and wipe them down with a soapy wash cloth. If its so bad that won't do it, its time to take them apart and go over every piece. Used to be I had to do this often to sand the rust out of pivots, liners etc., before I switched over to primarily carrying Salt knives. Now when my folder gets really dirty I let it soak in hot soapy water for half an hour, work the pivot a bit, then rinse it out when I shower. Air dry, drop of lube, then its good to go.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Ren Wax, Semi Chrome and Eezox
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Ren Wax, Semi Chrome and Eezox synthetic lubricants
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I was hoping that there would be more information on cleaning products. Yeah I know that Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser is a great product and I've also got a well kept secret>> I'm speaking of the timeless, great cleaner known as TSP ( Tri-Sodium Phosphate) which is a great overall cleaner

Also there's been very little talk thus far about different types of "polish". I've always had great luck with FLITZ's great products. I've also used a Swiss made polish known as "Knorristol" which is actually more of a cleaner than it is a polish>> and it has some very cleaning properties to it.

But again I want to also hear which "DRY LUBE" you guys like to use? There are more and more PTFE based dry lubes out there and I've heard that some of them are actually even better than the traditional wet lubes like Militec for instance.