Benchmade Proper

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SG89

Benchmade Proper

Post by SG89 »

Anyone have one of these?
If so what are your thoughts?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
holeshot

Re: Benchmade Proper

Post by holeshot »

I've been thinking about getting one, before I do I'm going to contact BHQ and see if the thumb stud they sell will fit on it. I'll let you know what they say. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Interesting knife, I like the green micarta version but it's a bit pricey for a slippy

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
LDB

Post by LDB »

That's a very good looking knife but for the money I'd go with another Spyderco or a couple of Case knives.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

One thing about BM is that every knife I have bought from them has been as smooth as can be. I have a back lock, a cheap one, from BM that feels like the blade pivot is made of well greased bearings, or something. Unbelievable. All of my BM's are like that.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Doc Dan wrote:One thing about BM is that every knife I have bought from them has been as smooth as can be. I have a back lock, a cheap one, from BM that feels like the blade pivot is made of well greased bearings, or something. Unbelievable. All of my BM's are like that.
I also own a fair number BMs and agree that they open and close very smoothly. Recently purchased a Griptillian and the Axis lock is phenomenal! I just wish Sal would start using it on some Spyderco models. According to him the patent is up and I've noticed other manufacturers using it. :)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am not as big of an axis lock fan as I used to be. Both my wife and I have experienced them coming open when we did not wish them to do so. Once, I dropped a knife and as it bounced, it came open and just missed my foot. My wife had one come open in her purse. So, while it is my second favorite lock, the back lock is still my favorite.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Doc Dan wrote:I am not as big of an axis lock fan as I used to be. Both my wife and I have experienced them coming open when we did not wish them to do so. Once, I dropped a knife and as it bounced, it came open and just missed my foot. My wife had one come open in her purse. So, while it is my second favorite lock, the back lock is still my favorite.
It seems now a days you can find almost anything on UTube. Tried to find videos of a Benchmade with an Axis lock opening accidentally and was unable to do so. I've been carrying them for over thirty years and have never had one open accidentally, maybe I'm just lucky. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

BM definitely has great fit and finish.

I'd love to get one of these in hand and play around with it. It might make a good gift knife for the right person.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I do not post on Youtube, but I once did a test after my wife complained of hers opening on her. I took all of my BMs, and hers, and I dropped them onto the bed and onto a pad on the floor. I found I could get them to open on average 1 out of 7 tries once I found out the sweet spot. There was a thread a few years ago over at BF where this topic was discussed. While it is not as likely to open as a liner lock, it is still not a secure as a properly made back lock. You have to remember, a spring is holding the blade shut on an axis lock and springs can, well, spring if receiving a shock. Also, the studs can get caught in things and open the blade, too. So, I prefer the hole and a good back lock on my knives.

This is not to be construed as a mark against BM. It is simply the facts of the design. BM is a fine company and I own many of their knives.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have a BM Nakamura that frequently catches the stud and "emerson-style" opens when I take it out of my pocket.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Has anyone purchased one of these yet? I'm going to REI tomorrow and will probably leave with one. This is a great looking slippie imo.
Josh
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I used to be a Benchmade fan but I am no longer and not been for years since they started tip upping everything.

I have the previous model Presidio auto with the axis lock. The safety and action feel like something that was made in a garage by a high school kid. The blade is typical beautiful Benchmade but the rest is junk.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I like the idea of modern production knifemakers dipping into more traditional designs much like Spyderco did with the Roadie and Lionsteel just did with their bolstered slipjoint. I think however that it is a smaller more limited market for this niche. Thus, keeping the price affordable will increase the likelyhood of success. For the record, i used to be a huge BM fan and still have some of their knives (all Axis lock models).
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh, if it doesn't have a thumb hole there are a slew of traditional knife makers I would go with first. Not a BM fan.
Last edited by Evil D on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Looks nice enough if that's your thing- Unusual to see S30V in that type of blade so that's a point in it's favour

(though at that price point it's in UKPK territory and thus instantly a non-starter in my book)

Though: anyone else think it's a bit odd that the Micarta and G10 models are the exact same price?.....I mean, if you're in the market for this type of knife I'd wager that 98% of folks will be after the Micarta model, being as there isn't a wood or staghorn model?

Or am I making sweeping stereotype unfair assumptions about a particular type of knife buyer? ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Looks like a good knife and the quality is good. I still think Sal Glesser and Les De Asis (Benchmade) are two of the greatest human minds and designers of cutting tools in all human history.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I picked one up today, and it is superb. Little spendy for a slippie but I think it was well worth it. It is a very nice gentlemans pocketknife. The micarta is the best done micarta I have felt or seen on any knife. Fits very well in my right front pocket, has a very nice light and balanced weight to it, I forget that it is their. And surprisingly, F&F was fantastic. This is exactly the kind of new school/old school traditional I have been looking for to pocket carry. BM might be finally stepping up their game..
Josh
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

For me it's a bit too long for loose front pocket carry. I like something around three and a quarter like the Case 087. However I have totally switched to the Benchmade Axis lock. There is nothing else on the market like it. I have had problems with every other lock type out there but the Axis
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The two Benchmade models that will always have a place in my heart are the two Boguszewski Spike models from the mid to late 90s. I've owned several of those Boguszewski Spike models and truly wish they would do a Sprint Run of those at some point.. Those Spike models 640 & 650 both had a serious cult following that really drew a lot of knife lovers.

Now there was also an automatic version ( switchblade) of the Boguszewski Spike and it was the model 1000. I had a couple of those and they were great automatics. But I EDCed the smaller model 640 many years even before I became an avid Spyderhead. Actually Spyderco had a model similar which was the Centofante C-50 and it's little brother the C-25. Don't even bother asking for a Sprint Run of those because Spyderco said that all the tooling was gone for those models unfortunately.

But there was another BM model that I adored called the RUKUS model but they never made it in any steel other than S30V so I passed on it. But overall I started focusing on Spyderco's premium models after that. But I will always love the Boguszewski Spike models and would very much welcome Sprint Runs of all 3 of them.