Does anyone actually carry a knife on their keys?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kbuzbee

Re: Does anyone actually carry a knife on their keys?

Post by kbuzbee »

Yep. Jester. File it under "I'd rather have it and not need it than..."

Ken
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Ken, how do you keep the folder in that little sheath without it slipping out? It uses tension retension or something?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Ken, how do you keep the folder in that little sheath without it slipping out? It uses tension retension or something?
Exactly. It was custom molded for a Ladybug but fits the Jester just fine too. It needs a little twist to remove it but it's nice and secure. Tension is just about perfect.

IIRC it came from CountryComm(?) Maybe?

Ken
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I've had a burgundy Micarta Jester on my key ring for nearly 14 years. When I was working it got used almost daily, to cut slits in the lid of my morning coffee as it was the easiest knife to access while sitting in the car. Now, mostly out of force of habit, as I do almost all my coffee drinking at home, so it rarely gets used.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
remnar

Post by remnar »

The Deacon wrote:I've had a burgundy Micarta Jester on my key ring for nearly 14 years. When I was working it got used almost daily, to cut slits in the lid of my morning coffee as it was the easiest knife to access while sitting in the car. Now, mostly out of force of habit, as I do almost all my coffee drinking at home, so it rarely gets used.
This is also one of my most common uses for my keychain knife. Most vent holes in those plastic lids are inadequate. I've done this in some places, like the middle of a busy mall, where I probably shouldn't pull out a PM2 or other large knife. Hot beverage lid modification can be done very discretely with a small keychain knife. :) :spyder:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I have a few ladybugs that I swap out every once in a while. This pic is from yesterday.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I have a few ladybugs that I swap out every once in a while. This pic is from yesterday.

Nice LC! Image
Josh
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Great minds n such :)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

kbuzbee wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Ken, how do you keep the folder in that little sheath without it slipping out? It uses tension retension or something?
Exactly. It was custom molded for a Ladybug but fits the Jester just fine too. It needs a little twist to remove it but it's nice and secure. Tension is just about perfect.

IIRC it came from CountryComm(?) Maybe?

Ken
I have a very similar one, and it's super secure. I've never had the knife come out.

I bought mine off eBay a few years ago.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Anyone know who makes one of these for a Manbug?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Donut

Post by Donut »

I carry a Baby Goddard factory second on my keys. I love that thing.

I don't think there are enough linerless, micarta, ladybug sized knives. :)

I have a valet keychain with smaller detachable rings, I carry the Baby Goddard on the same ring as a Sharpwerks O1 Pry Bar.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I like my keychains lean and mean, so no lights, lighters, pill fobs, lanyards, beads, pry bars etc etc. I do like a small removable knife, and the Vic Rambler is my favourite. I am currently experimenting with a Leatherman Micra, but its much heavier and I miss the toothpick.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been thinking about trying out the Dragonfly as a keychain knife. It's a bit bigger obviously but if I can tolerate it in my pocket the trade off will be a much more usable knife when I need it. I really hate how thick and chunky modern car keys are. I've even tried some locksmiths to make all metal keys for my cars but I didn't like the options. If I could get the two car keys I carry in all metal it would really free up a lot of space and bulk off my keys.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:Anyone know who makes one of these for a Manbug?
Doc, l just had a look on eBay AU. There are three sellers and all three are US based. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think this is the honeybee. Other than that I have a copper peanut lighter, copper aaa flashlight, tweezers and a few keys.

I use the flashlight all the time, the tweezers on occasion (but love having them when I need them) and rarely use the knife or the lighter. I have played with carrying tons of different things on my keys and this is what I have settled on. This hasn't changed in quite a while. I did carry a Ladybug on my keys for a while but the honeybee is much less bulky. I could live without the knife or the lighter but would rather not take the flashlight off and would never take the tweezers off. Man, having tweezers when you need them is priceless. I get a lot of splinters.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I could live without the knife or the lighter but would rather not take the flashlight off and would never take the tweezers off. Man, having tweezers when you need them is priceless. I get a lot of splinters.
Which tweezers are those?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ha, I got my gal those tweezers because like most girls she's always plucking at her eyebrows but she said they aren't "sharp enough". She prefers the little ones that come with SAK's.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They seem acute enough for me. I have used them a bunch but not for plucking my eyebrows. :) They work well for splinters.

Oak tree, I got these at CountyComm where I got the light and the lighter but I don't think that these tweezers are exclusive to them. I believe you can buy them many places. I saw some just like them at a surplus store. They are smaller than a key and after a few years they haven't ever once fallen off.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

OakTree wrote:Which tweezers are those?
They look like Uncle Mike's.

I bought a few and handed them around.

They're pressed so they aren't too sharp when you buy them but if you clean up the points with a fine stone they make a handy little splinter tweezer. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin