NTSA confiscations

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
demoncase

Re: NTSA confiscations

Post by demoncase »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Wow demoncase do you need therapy from such mistreatment? :P
Very much so.....I still wake up screaming at the thought of another complimentary glass of Veuve Cliquot champagne. Screaming I tell you.

of course, the United chairman is quite right in saying 'these gulf airlines aren't real airlines'- I mean the pictures tell you that Emirates clearly don't have a clue how to treat their paying passengers compared to *ahem* real airlines :rolleyes:
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Evil D wrote:Never been on a plane, don't plan on it unless it's to deliberately jump out.
I've jumped out of planes hundreds of times. I still fly in them to get to places where I can jump. :)
cubsfan1969

Post by cubsfan1969 »

I didn't see if anyone posted this yet, but if you go to http://blog.tsa.gov/ there is a place on there where every two weeks they post pictures of all the guns, knives, throwing stars, replica grenades, etc etc that people tried to take on planes in those past two weeks. You can also sign up for email notifications for that page. Most of the knives are cheap throwers and throwing stars, but occasionally I've seen some Benchmade, and Microtech, although the Microtech looked like a fake. But it's a fun read every two weeks. As far as guns, I think the the TSA has more Ruger LC9's now then Ruger!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

TomAiello wrote:
Evil D wrote:Never been on a plane, don't plan on it unless it's to deliberately jump out.
I've jumped out of planes hundreds of times. I still fly in them to get to places where I can jump. :)

HaHaha! Me too! Airborne!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It seems now the NTSA is confiscating women's panty liners and if they wear one they get choke held and patted down very, very thoroughly. Sounds perverted to me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

How does this change when computer controlled flying cars that are powered by fusion or some cheap energy source are developed, and you and I can say "Too bad big airlines. Now I can get into this flying car and it can take me from point A to point B without you." ? Will the governments try to regulate this?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:How does this change when computer controlled flying cars that are powered by fusion or some cheap energy source are developed, and you and I can say "Too bad big airlines. Now I can get into this flying car and it can take me from point A to point B without you." ? Will the governments try to regulate this?
Considering the FAA (on behalf of the US Government) and the CAA (on behalf of the UK government) already have a series of laws in place to regulate the use of toy drones and prosecutions have already resulted from the infringement of the same.....

What makes you think they'd go "Everyone flying around with a thermonuclear device in their trunk?- Yeah, let's not bother trying to make that safe. What could go wrong after all" ;)

Airworthiness regulations work. Period....Every year, flying gets safer.
In 2016 325 people died in air accidents worldwide.
In 2016 in the US alone, 329000 people died in road accidents....Flying cars aren't going to improve that unless well regulated
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

That is a very good point, about those statistics. You know what I find interesting, infact? I have spoken with people who absolutely refuse to fly because of fear or two main issues: 1 terrorist attack and 2 plane mishaps/crashes. These same people instead choose to use ground based transports like busses and trains, and yet, statistically, as you yourself pointed out, there are many, many more road accidents than air related deaths. When I brought this up, the response was simply this: All it takes is that one plane to lose engine power, and at least in a bus or car you're on the ground.

Question about the TSA security matters: Do passengers have the confidence that as long as you put the knife in your CHECKED baggage, it is safe, and there is no need to be concerned that they will go through there and take it, or, have there been cases where people placed knives in checked baggage, and they were taken?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:That is a very good point, about those statistics. You know what I find interesting, infact? I have spoken with people who absolutely refuse to fly because of fear or two main issues: 1 terrorist attack and 2 plane mishaps/crashes. These same people instead choose to use ground based transports like busses and trains, and yet, statistically, as you yourself pointed out, there are many, many more road accidents than air related deaths. When I brought this up, the response was simply this: All it takes is that one plane to lose engine power, and at least in a bus or car you're on the ground.

Question about the TSA security matters: Do passengers have the confidence that as long as you put the knife in your CHECKED baggage, it is safe, and there is no need to be concerned that they will go through there and take it, or, have there been cases where people placed knives in checked baggage, and they were taken?

Stats:
Chances of dying in a plane crash: 1 in 1.5 million (Increases to a staggering 1 in 5 million if you exclude flying locally South East Asia and South America where little planes and big mountains make a bad mix. That 1 in 5 million is the same if your flying long haul to and from SEA and South America)

102,000 flights take off and land without incident every day - that's 8 million people flying daily.

Chances of dying in a car crash: 1 in 5000....Most dangerous part of flying? The cab ride to the airport ;)

The underlying fear of flying is about the loss of control and the fear of the unknown- but mainly we aren't in control of our own destiny.....How many of us are nervous car passengers despite the risk being identical to when it's us behind the wheel?
{NOTE: that's not to minimize anyone with a genuine phobia- Phobias defy any rational explanation and go straight to the hindbrain. You don't get a choice about your phobias, that I know for sure}

On the TSA question- If the knife you are packing in your hold luggage breaks a local law it will get you pulled out of line on landing.
Be aware if you are changing airline, whatever knife you choose will need to 100% legal at every place you land- factor that in if you're changing flights in NYC.

I've never had a knife taken- but I did have a very nice Dunhill leather belt disappear between Manila MNL and Birmingham BHX.
Valuables in hold luggage are a very bad idea.

I've said in a number of places on here:
Pack a knife in the hold luggage by all means- but be sure it is well within whatever the local laws are (Like- if it's 3" carry then go with 2.75" to be sure) AND pick an easy to replace one if it does get yoinked.....Something like a basic current-mode Delica or Endura will cause less heartache on finding it gone than that numbered sprint-run carbon fibre Police that took you 3 years to find in the first place.

OakTree

Post by OakTree »

demoncase wrote:Oh, I don't know old chap.....see, it all depends quite how one flies and with whom- Here's a little jaunt I made to the Philipines last year (36 hours door to door) on an A380 with Emirates.....
How much did that set you back?
How many Spyderco's could you buy with that?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

OakTree wrote:
demoncase wrote:Oh, I don't know old chap.....see, it all depends quite how one flies and with whom- Here's a little jaunt I made to the Philipines last year (36 hours door to door) on an A380 with Emirates.....
How much did that set you back?
How many Spyderco's could you buy with that?
It cost me nothing as it was a business trip....For reference it cost the company £2000- for 4 flights, all in business, to Manila and back to England.