Got a road bike

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SG89

Got a road bike

Post by SG89 »

My newest hobby. Added an anti-theft device to the seat :p Image
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
paladin

Re: Got a road bike

Post by paladin »

ouch!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nice ride! Just be sure to remove your anti-theft device before you take a ride. :eek:
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Bahahaha this made me laugh. Nice bike btw!
Josh
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Looks cool but when I'm thinking road bikes I'm going for something motorized. :) Ride hard die free!
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nice bike.

I ride quite a bit but not really the road bike type except for vintage stuff. I was BMX/freestyle/dirt back in the day and have aged into big comfy beach cruisers. I do still have a couple old road bikes but I don't ride them much.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

holeshot wrote:Looks cool but when I'm thinking road bikes I'm going for something motorized. :) Ride hard die free!
I have a motorcycle license just no motorcycle yet :(
Spydergirl88
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

Congrats on the new bike!! I hope you enjoy it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
holeshot wrote:Looks cool but when I'm thinking road bikes I'm going for something motorized. :) Ride hard die free!
I have a motorcycle license just no motorcycle yet :(
You need a new motorcycle. I just road a Harley Davidson Street 750 ABS. It is very nice and it is lighter and more powerful than the 883 sized Harleys and the Triumph America, while getting better fuel economy.

Honda has released a bunch of new and exciting bikes, too, this year.

I know, a lot of people say you have to get up to a 'real' motorcycle that weighs as much as a car, and gets terrible fuel economy. But to me that is silly. If I can get a lighter bike that is more maneuverable and is just as powerful, why would I not take that, instead? In fact, I did. Most of my friends have sold their large bikes for smaller ones, or at least gotten a smaller one and never ride the bigger one. However we live in a big city.

Just do not put a blade on the seat, okay? It tends to cause 'problems'. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Here's mine.

This was my '86 Lotus, but it's laying in the garage in a pile of parts after I got hit by a van while crossing a street in a crosswalk.

Another Lotus, the Mrs was riding this one when I got creamed. The frame is a bit short for me.

My '81 Schwinn Voyageur, barn find, bought it from the original owner.

This is my current ride, a SixThreeZero. This bike rides like a Lazyboy recliner.

My FIT CR24, this bike rides so dang good it's ridiculous. It also weighs less than most 20 inch bikes I rode back in the day.

This is my Precious, a '95 GT Vertigo. Mint condition and all original except for a brake line that's missing.

'52 Schwinn lowrider. It was cool in the '90s lol.

I have more too but you get the idea lol.
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Nice bikes!
Spydergirl88
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I ride a Minnesota Framed 2.0 Fat bike, that has been customized a bit. It came black & green.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Nice bike, The Dolce is a fantastic ride. I have a 2016 Roubaix with the exact same components, just a CF frame (and mine is a 52cm, not a 57!).
The Tiagra is a really nice group set for what you pay.

Is it good bike weather in TX yet? I have a foot of snow everywhere right now, so only fat bikes are going to be out for a few days. I live over a bike shop that I used to work at... they have been doing group rides in snow and 15 degree weather lately, not for me though, below about 50F is where I draw the line.

Good call on the Ti "anti-theft" item, CF would be OK too, but ya gotta keep the weight down any way you can ;)

Evil D, I had a Lotus that was nearly identical to yours, it was a really decent bike, but I don't miss those downtube shifters at all! You've got some cool bikes!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yes it is good bike weather in TX... Gotta get it in before it's 120 degrees lol
Spydergirl88
mad german

Post by mad german »

Looks great. My first road bike, and current road bike, is a 2008 Giant OCR1. I like it quite a lot. It's got a great component set, Shimano 105, and rides and shifts like butter! Once in a while I think about upgrading, but this bike does all I need it to. At my level of riding, I can't justify the $$$$ for a new bike. I will upgrade the wheelset this summer, however.
My collection is ever changing!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

So Spydergirl, what kind of rides are you doing so far? are you riding with a group, solo, training, just for fun?

I've been jonesing for warmer weather since fall and can't wait to get out again... I'm just a "for fun" rider, my usual loops are 10 to 20 miles with 800 to 1200 feet of climbing over the route (even "flat" rides in VT have some hills). I tried a few group rides, but all the regulars are 20 and 30 somethings who are way fitter than me, so trying to gut it out and average 17-19mph for 20 miles to keep them in sight wasn't really much fun. :(

This is my current bike; a Cannondale Slate, the suspension makes it great for crappy pavement or dirt roads (we have lots of both) and it's still light enough to be fun!
Attachments
slate.jpg
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My husband and I are riding to get in shape for some upcoming charity rides that will be between 15 to 30 miles each. We are riding on asphalt through the city, neighborhood, park, and soon the farm to market road. This is my first road bike and I have never had a nice bike so this is all pretty exciting. My husband is getting another bike soon a Raleigh Clubman Disk and we are waiting for him to get that one before we go riding again probably next week.
Spydergirl88
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

That's kinda where I started.. Then it morphed into so much more.. I was riding 7 days a week and started doing century's on the week-end... BUT.. Now I am fat and on the sidelines!!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Congratulations on your new bike!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Part of why I never really got into the road bike scene is because I'm a big dude and I ride with my family now, so going super fast from A to B isn't really in the cards. Me and the Mrs. have done an 84 mile round trip but it took us most of the day riding at a pretty mellow pace. I made that ride on the black 24 inch cruiser BMX bike and she was on a beach cruiser, not really the best choices for long distance rides but we made it.
~David