Got a road bike

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SG89

Re: Got a road bike

Post by SG89 »

awa54 wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:My newest hobby....
How is the biking going?

This week was my first this season to go five days without a break (yeah, I'm in crappy shape) the mileage is unimpressive, but my 60 mile total includes over 4000 feet of climbing, some of it at 20+ % grade, which for me feels like an accomplishment. Some people I know consider that a nice afternoon ride :P
Biking is not going as well right now. Had a fall in late march and was off the bike a month. Had my first charity ride in May, did 8 miles couldve done more but didnt want to push my hurt knee too far. Have had my bike on the trainer as of late just riding in my house trying to build my strength back up again. My next charity ride will be in july. You sound like you are really doing great especially with all that climbing!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I am sorry that you got hurt!! I hope you heal up. Have you had your knee checked out?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

No i have not, probably won't unless the pain begins to bother me. Right now there is no pain. Sometimes after a long day working it aches
Spydergirl88
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I hope the knee is better soon! Trainers are boring, but certainly a great option if you aren't 100%, my GF usually only makes between 5 and 10 miles before her knee starts to bother (probably blew her ACL out in middle school, but never got it looked at), so when she rides with me we usually do around-town loops so if it acts up we can get home in less than a mile. A sleeve type knee brace can help too, but in hot weather even the ones that breathe well make for a sweaty leg.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I am glad that there is no pain.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sucks to hear about your injury. My knee isn't doing the greatest either. Got hit by a car about a year ago.

This is the bike I got to replace my wrecked one. Trek Emonda SL6. I was riding it 22 miles each way to get to work when I took this photo :eek: Have since eased up since the multiple cars that have hit me make me nervous. I'll do 20-30 mile rides on weekday afternoons but I try not to ride at night, during rush hours or on weekends anymore. Do my bes tto stick to low traffic roads, etc. It's a shame, I love cycling, but it's dangerous where I live.

I ride my road bikes cross country too. I pack super light so I can just throw a few frame bags on and call it a day. 8-10lbs of gear to cross the country, the bike itself is about 19lbs. That was my excuse to buy a Spyderco Ark. I bought it for my ultra light bike tours :)

I see you're from Texas. I rode my Ridley Fenix from Surfside Beach to Charlotte in 2015. Here's my route if you're interested.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wow vivi that's quite a ride!
Spydergirl88