Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Post by Doc Dan »

I doubt very seriously if sailors ever believed the earth was flat if they had any experience out to Sea. Some that only hug the shore might think that it was flat but sailors that actually sailed out to sea would know the earth is round. Land dwellers would listen to tall tales and believe them. Ignernt.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:11 am
I doubt very seriously if sailors ever believed the earth was flat if they had any experience out to Sea. Some that only hug the shore might think that it was flat but sailors that actually sailed out to sea would know the earth is round. Land dwellers would listen to tall tales and believe them. Ignernt.

Remember people used to believe the Earth was flat and was the center of the Solar system. The planets and the sun orbited the Earth. ROFL

Now we still have the flat Earth believers in this day and age... :rolleyes:

Goes along with the rest of the BS they have been spreading now for about 50 years.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:17 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Remember people used to believe the Earth was flat and was the center of the Solar system. The planets and the sun orbited the Earth. ROFL

Goes along with the rest of the BS they have been spreading now for about 50 years.
There are verses in the bible that indicate the earth is round and revolves around the sun, if carefully thought about. It tells us the light and dark enscribe a circle about the earth, something that cannot be seen except from space. It even says God causes the extinction of species and the rising of new ones.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:29 am
Ankerson wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

There are verses in the bible that indicate the earth is round and revolves around the sun, if carefully thought about. It tells us the light and dark enscribe a circle about the earth, something that cannot be seen except from space. It even says God causes the extinction of species and the rising of new ones.

Yes, I remember. There was some reference to the Bible that dated back some 30,000 years ago that was found not long ago.

In the end however we as humans will never really know any of the real answers. Unless humans are still around a Million years from now, maybe not even then.

I do believe there is a GOD, but nobody knows what that is for sure. I mean it all started somehow countless trillions of years ago....

Humans haven't even been past the moon yet so who knows what is really out there millions of light years away or more.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

That's a great point Ankerson>> because the one group that calls themselves "The Flat Earth Society" has had a core group for many years now. The newer Flat Earth movement from what I heard involves way more people than that one core group however. I've heard just recently that they even have Flat Earth support groups at many major colleges.

it is sad to note that one of the current groups biggest spokespersons i.e. Mark Sargent actually seems to be a rational, decent guy with at least above average intelligence. It's actually making me wonder if there aren't sophisticated mind control technologies at work. Because it's almost like a Jonestown Brainwashing in one sense when you take a hard look at their movement. I've heard Mark Sargent on two radio interviews and like I said he seems like a decent, rational guy to me. I wouldn't even mind having him for a neighbor>> but I darn sure don't believe his take on things relating to the earth :rolleyes:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:18 am
Ankerson wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

That's a great point Ankerson>> because the one group that calls themselves "The Flat Earth Society" has had a core group for many years now. The newer Flat Earth movement from what I heard involves way more people than that one core group however. I've heard just recently that they even have Flat Earth support groups at many major colleges.

it is sad to note that one of the current groups biggest spokespersons i.e. Mark Sargent actually seems to be a rational, decent guy with at least above average intelligence. It's actually making me wonder if there aren't sophisticated mind control technologies at work. Because it's almost like a Jonestown Brainwashing in one sense when you take a hard look at their movement. I've heard Mark Sargent on two radio interviews and like I said he seems like a decent, rational guy to me. I wouldn't even mind having him for a neighbor>> but I darn sure don't believe his take on things relating to the earth :rolleyes:

Nothing would really surprise me. :rolleyes:

A lot of mass brainwashing Soto speak has been going on forever. ;)

I just can't believe people buy into it as easy as they do..

It all starts with telling people what they want to hear.... ;)

Every civilization had to figure out how to control the masses in some way.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:22 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

And I'm glad to see that you tend to agree with me on that Ankerson :) Because take a look at the brainwashing that was implemented with the Charles Manson family circa 1969 and the absolutely horrible cyanide kool-aid brainwashing of the Jonestown group Circa (1978) along with Marshall Applewhite and the Heaven's Gate Cult circa 1996>> And most of these were with older mind control technologies>> I actually shutter to think what these modern day dark ops intelligence communities might be working with now, at this time.

Getting back to the more recent Flat Earth groups>>A friend of mine that's here visiting me right this very minute just told me that there have been "Flat Earth" groups existing even since the Cradle of Civilization. I remember reading one the Memoirs of Columbus and also one of Ferdinand Magellan when taking a college history course>> they were fighting and debating with Flat Earthers concerning their voyages even during that era.

I would be willing to bet if you would go to one of those nomadic, isolated groups of people at various parts of the globe you would find many of them still believing that narrative. It's almost like beliefs such as Flat Earth has taken cycles over the centuries up to this present time.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:37 am
Ankerson wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:22 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

And I'm glad to see that you tend to agree with me on that Ankerson :) Because take a look at the brainwashing that was implemented with the Charles Manson family circa 1969 and the absolutely horrible cyanide kool-aid brainwashing of the Jonestown group Circa (1978) along with Marshall Applewhite and the Heaven's Gate Cult circa 1996>> And most of these were with older mind control technologies>> I actually shutter to think what these modern day dark ops intelligence communities might be working with now, at this time.

Getting back to the more recent Flat Earth groups>>A friend of mine that's here visiting me right this very minute just told me that there have been "Flat Earth" groups existing even since the Cradle of Civilization. I remember reading one the Memoirs of Columbus and also one of Ferdinand Magellan when taking a college history course>> they were fighting and debating with Flat Earthers concerning their voyages even during that era.

I would be willing to bet if you would go to one of those nomadic, isolated groups of people at various parts of the globe you would find many of them still believing that narrative. It's almost like beliefs such as Flat Earth has taken cycles over the centuries up to this present time.

Goes right along with what I said before.

Something gets repeated enough times it becomes the truth.

Get a few paid for PHD's to go along with it to validate it and then you have "FACTS". :rolleyes:

Like I said it is VERY easy to manipulate people, way too easy....

Anything a PHD says just has to be the truth right? :rolleyes:

Outside of Medical DR.s etc if a PHD isn't teaching or working in a lab someplace they are bagging groceries at the local store.

They will do anything to keep that grant money (MONEY) coming in so they don't have to go out and get a real job outside of their narrow field. ;)

Like anyone else who has a job and wants to keep it.
Last edited by Ankerson on Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

There are people who believe the earth is flat because they think they are too clever. They say that, since we are being lied to every day by the media about so many things, that means that the earth being spherical is just another piece of propaganda foisted on everyone. Yes, the media tells MANY lies, but if you just use your brain, any semi-intelligent person should be able to be aware that the earth is spherical, even if it isn’t a perfect, evenly-formed sphere like a basketball.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:00 am
There are people who believe the earth is flat because they think they are too clever. They say that, since we are being lied to every day by the media about so many things, that means that the earth being spherical is just another piece of propaganda foisted on everyone. Yes, the media tells MANY lies, but if you just use your brain, any semi-intelligent person should be able to be aware that the earth is spherical, even if it isn’t a perfect, evenly-formed sphere like a basketball.

Jim

Nature doesn't make prefect straight lines or perfect round spheres as general rule.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

There is nothing rational about believing in a flat earth. It is delusional, in fact. It is a belief in spite of all of the vast amounts of concrete evidence to the contrary.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:35 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

There is nothing rational about believing in a flat earth. It is delusional, in fact. It is a belief in spite of all of the vast amounts of concrete evidence to the contrary.

That's putting it very mildly....
James Y

Post by James Y »

It’s like the people who believed that old fraud Harold Camping, who told his followers that the world was going to an end in 1994, and again in 2011. I actually know someone who had believed him; she and her husband believed that Camping was a very wise old man of God. They’d even driven up to northern CA to attend one of his sermons. They were calling everyone who would listen, tearfully telling everyone to make peace with the Lord because the world was about to end (both in 1994 and AGAIN in 2011). Thankfully, she and her husband hadn’t followed Camping’s advice in 2011 to get rid of their assets, because many dummies did and lost everything. I read about some guy who had been a close associate of Camping asking him afterwards in private if he felt bad about so many people following his advice and losing everything (while Camping himself kept all of his assets), and he said that Camping laughed like a child and told him that those people were a bunch of idiots. This was a couple years before Camping finally kicked the bucket.

I’m certain a lot of Harold Camping’s true believers could have appeared rational under normal circumstances, while at the same time they’d been brainwashed by a complete sociopath. IMO, a very high percentage of people (most?) are easy to brainwash in one way or another, and very often they are the type who consider themselves to be too smart for the room.

Jim
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Get your 7-9 hours of sleep every night. Lost sleep can NEVER be made up. Not by napping. Not by sleeping more later. They now know that sleep is the brains time to clean house - getting rid of amyloid plaques. Yes, those pesky buggers that they think / thought? causes Alzheimer's disease. Sleep helps save memories / save what you just learned - you can liken it to your daily experiences being saved on a flash drive, where sleep transfers those memories to the hard drive - permanent brain storage.

Read: Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams by Matthew Walker (2017)

Watch: Dr. Matthew Walker on Sleep for Enhancing Learning, Creativity, Immunity, and Glymphatic System 2-28-19
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:39 am
It’s like the people who believed that old fraud Harold Camping, who told his followers that the world was going to an end in 1994, and again in 2011. I actually know someone who had believed him; she and her husband believed that Camping was a very wise old man of God. They’d even driven up to northern CA to attend one of his sermons. They were calling everyone who would listen, tearfully telling everyone to make peace with the Lord because the world was about to end (both in 1994 and AGAIN in 2011). Thankfully, she and her husband hadn’t followed Camping’s advice in 2011 to get rid of their assets, because many dummies did and lost everything. I read about some guy who had been a close associate of Camping asking him afterwards in private if he felt bad about so many people following his advice and losing everything (while Camping himself kept all of his assets), and he said that Camping laughed like a child and told him that those people were a bunch of idiots. This was a couple years before Camping finally kicked the bucket.

I’m certain a lot of Harold Camping’s true believers could have appeared rational under normal circumstances, while at the same time they’d been brainwashed by a complete sociopath. IMO, a very high percentage of people (most?) are easy to brainwash in one way or another, and very often they are the type who consider themselves to be too smart for the room.

Jim

I suspect that is true given what is currently been going on with the current society we live in.

I think it is getting easier as time goes on for mass brainwashing.

I hear some people talk and all I can think is: What, are you stupid?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

z4vdBt wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:46 am
Get your 7-9 hours of sleep every night. Lost sleep can NEVER be made up. Not by napping. Not by sleeping more later. They now know that sleep is the brains time to clean house - getting rid of amyloid plaques. Yes, those pesky buggers that they think / thought? causes Alzheimer's disease. Sleep helps save memories / save what you just learned - you can liken it to your daily experiences being saved on a flash drive, where sleep transfers those memories to the hard drive - permanent brain storage.

Read: Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams by Matthew Walker (2017)

Watch: Dr. Matthew Walker on Sleep for Enhancing Learning, Creativity, Immunity, and Glymphatic System 2-28-19
...and don't forget about all the mind altering drugs most people are on these days.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Ankerson wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

First of all, people have known since ancient times that the earth was not flat. In addition to the Bible (as Doc Dan mentioned) the ancient Greeks also knew that the Earth was a sphere. The idea that virtually everyone before the year 1500 thought the Earth was flat is a popular myth and is simply not true. The notion of a spherical Earth was widely held from antiquity throughout the Middle Ages.

Secondly, what is so ridiculous about people believing that the Sun and planets orbited the Earth? It's easy for you, living in the 21st century, to laugh at them, but would you have thought any differently? It's not their fault they didn't have the technology we do today, and it doesn't make them idiots. From an observational standpoint it sure looks like the Sun and planets orbit the Earth; and after all, Ptolemy's geocentric model of the universe did explain and predict the movements of the Sun and planets. I have a feeling that if we'd be having this discussion a thousand years ago, you'd be vociferously defending geocentrism. ;)

Just remember that you are the recipient of that knowledge, not the originator of it. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:16 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

First of all, people have known since ancient times that the earth was not flat. In addition to the Bible (as Doc Dan mentioned) the ancient Greeks also knew that the Earth was a sphere. The idea that virtually everyone before the year 1500 thought the Earth was flat is a popular myth and is simply not true. The notion of a spherical Earth was widely held from antiquity throughout the Middle Ages.

Secondly, what is so ridiculous about people believing that the Sun and planets orbited the Earth? It's easy for you, living in the 21st century, to laugh at them, but would you have thought any differently? It's not their fault they didn't have the technology we do today, and it doesn't make them idiots. From an observational standpoint it sure looks like the Sun and planets orbit the Earth; and after all, Ptolemy's geocentric model of the universe did explain and predict the movements of the Sun and planets. I have a feeling that if we'd be having this discussion a thousand years ago, you'd be vociferously defending geocentrism. ;)

Just remember that you are the recipient of that knowledge, not the originator of it. ;)

Obviously not all people did however know they Earth wasn't flat.

Then there are the total Morons today that still believe it is.

If I lived 1,000 years ago I don't know what I would have thought. If the Earth was orbited by the Sun and the planets or not... Or if I would have cared one way or the other. Scientists or intelligent people were not exactly popular back then and most people thought them to be witches etc and they burned them at the stake or just killed them. They were scared of everything back then, that was towards the end of the Dark Ages.....

So if I did care I would have likely been killed one way or another if I even lived long enough to care.

It was a VERY brutal barbaric time back in those days..... Give or take 200 years or so.

Basically it wasn't really until the year 750 AD or so that people began to focus on education again. Was still another 250 years after that or around the year 1000 AD that the Dark Ages ended.... So between 150 AD and 1000 AD or so it was basically a complete nightmare as far as being a human was concerned.

Even in the year 1500 AD or so people weren't exactly very advanced yet still. A lot was lost when the Roman Empire fell and it took a VERY long time before humans came back to that point again.

Even in the year 1500 AD people still didn't have indoor plumbing and just threw their waste into the streets in the cities. Even the Romans were better than that as they had public bathrooms and bath houses 1500 years before that. Same goes with simple things such as personal hygiene like bathing. That's not even getting into the various pandemics that happened because of it that almost wiped out the human race more than once.

Still in the Year 1800 not much had changed from the last point.

From the year 1900 and after things finally began to improve getting back to were the Romans were almost 2,000 years before. And it was also the beginning of the industrial age around about the same time.

The Dark Ages were really the dark ages as so much was lost and it put humans back almost 2000 years as far as development goes overall.

Who knows what would have happened in the Roman Empire never fell or at least their technology had been saved.

So if the dark ages never happened think about it, we would be around 2000 years more advanced than we are today more than likely.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I really like this one..

For those of us who are old enough to remember.

https://youtu.be/zSDLRm3jhc8&t=427s
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

I remember the coming ice age.

Then there was the hole in the ozone layer and the greenhouse effect that would destroy the earth.
Now it turns out that greenhouse gasses actually cool the stratosphere and have nothing to do with climate change.
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/blogs ... g-related/
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.