Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Post by Ankerson »

The Deacon wrote:
SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:
The Deacon wrote: True, but we probably have at least a few folks here who think the earth is less than 10K years old, deny evolution, and think the entire fossil record is just one of Satan's tricks.
Evolution is still a theory, it's never been proven because there is no fossil record of it happening.
That's a fallacy promoted by proponents of the alternate reality known as "Creation Science". Evolution is a fact. Every legitimate scientist will tell you that. The only thing that's theoretical is the exact mechanism driving it. Darwin's theory was not that evolution exist, it was that natural selection drives evolution.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:The earth being young makes more sense to me than an earth which is billions of years old.
What can I say, other than enjoy your fairy tales.
Well it all started somehow (The Universe) and that answer is well beyond our understanding and something humans will never know for sure, that's a given. So at best humans have opinions based on guesses.

The Earth was around long before Humans, we do know that for sure, something like 4.5 Billion years and humans around 1 Million or so as far as we know currently.

That said we have found structures that are man made that approach 30,000 years old and the search continues.

And as far as humans basic understanding goes.... Remember....

They used to think the Earth was flat....

They used to think the Sun and the Planets orbited Earth...

And a host of other ideas that have been found to be false over time as things evolved.

So this whole the Earth is 10,000 years old thought process is really just not true and actually as funny as Dinosaurs and Humans being on Earth at the same time. :D

The Earth was here long before us and will continue to be here long after we are gone and likely much better off without us. ;)

Disclaimer:

People can believe and think how they want, personally I don't care one way or the other what people believe.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:
The Deacon wrote: True, but we probably have at least a few folks here who think the earth is less than 10K years old, deny evolution, and think the entire fossil record is just one of Satan's tricks.
Evolution is still a theory, it's never been proven because there is no fossil record of it happening.

The earth being young makes more sense to me than an earth which is billions of years old.
Why does it make more sense to you?

Every night when you go outside and look up at a star you are looking hundreds or millions of years into the past since it's taken that long for the light from that star to reach your eye. This does not prove how old the earth is, but it helps prove that stars and other systems have been around for longer than 10000 years or any other such low number.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The idea that the earth is only 6 to 10 thousand years ago was invented by a well meaning, yet non-scientific, and less biblically literal man, Bishop Ussher. He meant well, as this was in the days before science began serious study. He calculated what he perceived as the ages of the people mentioned in Genesis, without understanding (without modern research) what was being articulated, and how. He came up with an age of around 6000 years, or so.

That the earth, and indeed, the universe, is much, much older is readily apparent. This does not rule out Creation as the means, nor does it rule out Evolution, nor Theistic or Deistic Evolution.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

The janitor leaned on my cubicle and peered north over the city out the 22nd floor window.

"If you digs a stock tank in the middle of a pasture, bye and bye dey be fish in it."
He looked at me and I didn't say anything. "Dat's a miracle", he inflected.

After a long pause he added, "Some folks say dat boids bring fish eggs in on dey legs
and dat's how duh fish get der".

He looked at me again and I didn't say anything. "If'n dat be true, den dat's a miracle."

Here was a man who in spite of being dealt the meanest of hands possessed an unshakeable faith.
He would not allow science to deny him his miracles.

Would that I, with all the privilege showered upon me, find such comfort.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Breath, breath.
Real eyes
Realise
Real lies.
This world is run by lies. So many lies in fact that we probably would no longer even recognise the truth if it bit us.
I challenge you all to challenge your beliefs & find out if they are worth staking your eternal life on.
Do your own investigation instead of relying on the tales of some other man.
Look at the gravity theory from the perspective of it being totally wrong & impossibly stupid. Then try & reprove it.
Einstein was a shill. Could not even work out the milk money. Try to prove that is not so.
The Hubble telescope is impossible to be where they say it is & work like they say it does. Try to prove it.
Try to find out the nature of our reality & then work out how easy it is for a lie to appear to be the truth.
Are the magic feats of Criss Angel or Paul Cosentino truth or lies, & how do you know. If you believe it is a trick, then see how well it is done & how easy it is to deceive. Scale this up to the size of the world in which you believe.
Why are there so many lies ? Who benefits ? Follow the money.
What does it cost you to believe lies ?
Can you afford it ?
O.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:The idea that the earth is only 6 to 10 thousand years ago was invented by a well meaning, yet non-scientific, and less biblically literal man, Bishop Ussher. He meant well, as this was in the days before science began serious study. He calculated what he perceived as the ages of the people mentioned in Genesis, without understanding (without modern research) what was being articulated, and how. He came up with an age of around 6000 years, or so.

That the earth, and indeed, the universe, is much, much older is readily apparent. This does not rule out Creation as the means, nor does it rule out Evolution, nor Theistic or Deistic Evolution.
Yup, there are so many unanswered questions that will likely never be answered so humans will never really know one way or the other.

The thing that always got me was commercialized Religion, as when they started making money of belief. The idea of people buying their way into heaven....

Other than that it all started somehow, the Universe that is.

The time line thing, the 6K or 10K thing is understandable as humans tend to think is short time spans because humans don't live very long so without science to back it up back then it's understandable. Logic alone would tell people that the Earth is much older, not even getting into the Science that proves it.

Remember not all that long ago Scientists were burned at the stake etc for witchcraft... :eek:

Amazing as it is humans have come farther in the past 100 years than they did in almost a million years before that, something to think about..

What's really going to shake things up is if life from another World visits Earth and or attacks us etc..... Most Humans have been conditioned to think a certain way so that would have catastrophic results. They would be far more advanced than Humans....
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Ankerson wrote: What's really going to shake things up is if life from another World visits Earth and or attacks us etc..... Most Humans have been conditioned to think a certain way so that would have catastrophic results. They would be far more advanced than Humans....
That, my friends is going to be the biggest con trick of all time. The props & stage have been set up in front of our very eyes for years now.
IT IS A LIE.
O.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I believe in science, I believe it is our salvation. I believe that our future depends on not just knowledge but also understanding. I admire faith deeply but I value facts more. Religion gives us faith but science gives us facts. Why can't we have both? If I have a religion it is science and if I had a preacher it would be Carl Sagan. He was every bit as much a philosopher and poet as he was a scientist.

Here is a picture of Earth taken from the voyager before leaving our solar system on it's journey into the future. Carl had to argue to get this picture taken as it expended valuable energy from voyager and most at Nasa didn't want to do it. Carl argued that it was a profound photo that could have a powerful effect on people's perception of who we are and where we are. Perception and perspective are powerful things. Below it is a quote from Carl's book The Pale Blue Dot, which is named after this photo in a way. Awesome book!

“Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”
― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I believe in science, I believe it is our salvation. I believe that our future depends on not just knowledge but also understanding. I admire faith deeply but I value facts more. Religion gives us faith but science gives us facts. Why can't we have both? If I have a religion it is science and if I had a preacher it would be Carl Sagan. He was every bit as much a philosopher and poet as he was a scientist.

Here is a picture of Earth taken from the voyager before leaving our solar system on it's journey into the future. Carl had to argue to get this picture taken as it expended valuable energy from voyager and most at Nasa didn't want to do it. Carl argued that it was a profound photo that could have a powerful effect on people's perception of who we are and where we are. Perception and perspective are powerful things. Below it is a quote from Carl's book The Pale Blue Dot, which is named after this photo in a way. Awesome book!

“Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”
― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space
I agree, hopefully humans will be around long enough to get some of the answers.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Fluoride? Well, like many things it is a matter of how much. Everything in too large of quantities is bad for you. Your body needs arsenic and copper to survive but both are also toxins. Radiation is bad yet we all walk around being bombarded by many kinds every day. Luckily it isn't too much. You can be poisoned by too much oxygen or too much water. Sure, too much fluoride is bad for you. Sure, the Nazis experimented with turning people into mindless zombies with it. Sure, scientists have had concerns over it from day one. Sure it was a byproduct of the nuke program and we had a lot to get rid of. The dosages the Nazis were using were way way more than if you ate a tube of toothpaste everyday. Fluoride, like arsenic and copper, occurs naturally in our water supply. The last place I lived actually had to remove fluoride from our water to stay between the EPA's limits. I have a college degree and some experience in water treatment. One thing you learn in treatment is that sometimes the secret to pollution is dillution. Nothing is bad for you or the environment in small enough doses. That said, I am happy to be on a fluoride free well and I have not fluorided my child's teeth. However, I do not worry about the fluoride in my toothpaste. It shouldn't be a problem.

Summary; Is too much fluoride bad, yes. Is small amounts bad, no.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

There are a lot of real scientists, including evolutionary scientists, that have come to faith in God because of their science.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Doc Dan wrote:There are a lot of real scientists, including evolutionary scientists, that have come to faith in God because of their science.
Real eyes
Realise
Real lies

Who has really looked ?
O.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I guess you can fact check all you want after you're dead.

meanwhile...https://youtu.be/LTvC6ReLw4g
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

O,just,O wrote:
Ankerson wrote: What's really going to shake things up is if life from another World visits Earth and or attacks us etc..... Most Humans have been conditioned to think a certain way so that would have catastrophic results. They would be far more advanced than Humans....
That, my friends is going to be the biggest con trick of all time. The props & stage have been set up in front of our very eyes for years now.
IT IS A LIE.
O.
Hopefully we won't be around to see it when or if it ever happens, I doubt anyone that is alive today would be around.

In the future if it lasts that long maybe human society will evolve to the point that they can actually be ready for other life forms, but for now it's primitive compared to others that could visit our planet.

Personally I believe we have a very long way to go, might take another Million years or more.

The basic belief that Earth is the only planet with life on it in the Universe is completely preposterous. ;)

Commercialized Religion (Structured) started about 15,000 years ago or so BEFORE the Bible was written as far as we know for now. But there is evidence of it around 30,000 years ago with a recent discovery of a man made structure that is still being studied currently.

The search for the truth continues....

Remember that people used to believe the Sun and Planets orbited the Earth not very long ago. So as time passes and Science advances so does understanding of how things really are in the Solar System and the Universe.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The cake is a lie ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
LDB

Post by LDB »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I wish I did not even have to mention this but it deserves mention. I cannot believe this but it is true. There are actually people on today's world who believe the Earth is flat, and fixed in place, and there are people who believe in a round Earth but believe it is fixed and the sun orbits the Earth.
Those are Common Core graduates.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

There are nutcases on both sides of any argument including the science vs. religion one. The guy that states that because the hubble hasn't shown there to be the bearded white robed guy on a ckloud there can't be a god is an example of ignorance I've seen personally on that side too.He's as ignorant in my eyes as the ones demanding the earth is flat.

Science in some cases has become a religion of sorts. If you don't believe that try to look at the state of climate science , the politics involved and the way it's true believers act wanting to jail "deniers" and destroy careers for questioning some "facts". Anyone not going along with exactly all of "global warming" "climate change" is instantly harangued and at best called names despite the data being changed, falsified, misrepresented, and conveniently overlooked and even destroyed because it didn't support the hypothesis.

Evolution is pretty obvious to a point. There is a lot we don't understand or know about it. We are still in our infancy about so many things I find it's difficult to just look down on others because their beliefs are different from mine. Yeah, I know the earth isn't flat but I also know what is taught in schools as scientific fact is bullshit in more than a few cases. For those loving on pure science I say, nope, doesn't exist. Us humans have found ways to bring politics and greed into it. I'm no PHD in science but until they find out the basic stuff like how did life begin I realize we are no different from the guys that thought disease was spread by bad swamp air and not germs and blood letting was the best cure.

Pure religion? Not me either. Too much unknown or contradicted there. I seek out my own truths based on my experiences during my life. There is a god for me but he/she/it may not resemble any one elses. They say DNA is essentially a life building toolkit so yes, it's possible we were created. No, that doesn't rule out evolution either.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:There are nutcases on both sides of any argument including the science vs. religion one. The guy that states that because the hubble hasn't shown there to be the bearded white robed guy on a ckloud there can't be a god is an example of ignorance I've seen personally on that side too.He's as ignorant in my eyes as the ones demanding the earth is flat.

Science in some cases has become a religion of sorts. If you don't believe that try to look at the state of climate science , the politics involved and the way it's true believers act wanting to jail "deniers" and destroy careers for questioning some "facts". Anyone not going along with exactly all of "global warming" "climate change" is instantly harangued and at best called names despite the data being changed, falsified, misrepresented, and conveniently overlooked and even destroyed because it didn't support the hypothesis.

Evolution is pretty obvious to a point. There is a lot we don't understand or know about it. We are still in our infancy about so many things I find it's difficult to just look down on others because their beliefs are different from mine. Yeah, I know the earth isn't flat but I also know what is taught in schools as scientific fact is bullshit in more than a few cases. For those loving on pure science I say, nope, doesn't exist. Us humans have found ways to bring politics and greed into it. I'm no PHD in science but until they find out the basic stuff like how did life begin I realize we are no different from the guys that thought disease was spread by bad swamp air and not germs and blood letting was the best cure.

Pure religion? Not me either. Too much unknown or contradicted there. I seek out my own truths based on my experiences during my life. There is a god for me but he/she/it may not resemble any one elses. They say DNA is essentially a life building toolkit so yes, it's possible we were created. No, that doesn't rule out evolution either.

Joe,

Yes, I agree there are more than a few nut cases out there.... On both sides.

I personally don't care what people believe as they will believe what they WANT TO BELIEVE.

I do however find it amusing that people blindly believe things that just can't possibly be true, and defies all logic.

Get humans involved in just about anything and they will screw it up and turn good things into horrible things and use those things as excuses to do unspeakable acts.

Personally I believe the Bible is a teaching tool on how humans should act.. Ideally that is as it speaks of morally.

The people who wrote the Bible obviously were students of human nature and very intelligent for their time and understood things extremely well. I believe that's the reason why the Scripture on how people should behave is so CLEAR AND straight forward. It's the clearest, most straight forward part of the Bible.

Sadly there has been a large movement over the decades to stomp it out. ;)

Look what direction Society is going in currently, it's NOT GOOD.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Climate change/Global Warming thing is really nothing more than a marketing ploy to make a small group of people extremely rich.

All one has to do is follow the money.

However Pollution and damage to the environment/wildlife are real, most of it's due to human greed.

Humans will destroy everything if left unchecked so it's good things like the EPA exist.

Humans somehow put themselves above all the other life on the planet, they forgot that we are all part of the Planet just like all other forms of life.

The planet was here long before humans and it will be here long after humans are gone.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The Climate change/Global Warming thing is really nothing more than a marketing ploy to make a small group of people extremely rich.

All one has to do is follow the money.

However Pollution and damage to the environment/wildlife are real, most of it's due to human greed.

Humans will destroy everything if left unchecked so it's good things like the EPA exist.

Humans somehow put themselves above all the other life on the planet, they forgot that we are all part of the Planet just like all other forms of life.

The planet was here long before humans and it will be here long after humans are gone.
I'm gonna agree with this. I get along with both science and religion and see obvious benefits in both. When either uses it as an excuse for doing wrong then I will oppose them as I can. I'm as stubbornly uncontrollable as anyone I've ever known and won't accept manipulations from those that want to use religion or climate science or whatever as a way to control me. That is the bottom line of what we are speaking about. I'm usually pretty good at figuring out what is right and wrong. All people have that ability , even the truest sociopath/psychopath and yes, poor folks from the inner city with little education who ate lead paint chips as toddlers. Some just don't want to do what is right. That fact is no excuse for a government or any other agency to exert controls on me. Tithes or taxes to save the earth because cuddly cute polar bears arre dying ( Not true but it is one of the manipulations being used ) just annoy me. A crook is a crook whether a politician or not. Same with trying to remove peoples rights because someone else abuses them which is the gun control argument in this country. Take honest citizens rights because Chicago and LA have gang problems or terrorist attacks in NYC. Makes sense right?

Believe it or not a church I was invited to and went to once wanted to schedule an audit of my finances to make sure I tithed my full share, 10% minimum gross . Knowing me as you do you can imagine my response. :) The guy who invited me couldn't understand why I was so angry.

All types in this world yes, but I sure won't volunteer to be around them. I did my time serving the country and the public and have the scars to prove it.