Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25040
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby The Deacon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:44 pm

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:06 am

All of the ice on the planet could melt and the sea level won't rise one inch.

The Earth is 2/3 water, the math just never added up on that one and it never will no matter how they try and cook it... One doesn't have to be a math genius to figure that one out...

It would have to rain for like 100 years straight to start making any sort of real difference in the sea levels.

Not even sure if that would do it, Jim. The way I see it, there's a relatively finite amount of water on, in, and over the earth. Some of it is liquid, some of it is solid, and some of it is water vapor in the air. When there's too much water vapor in the air, we get rain, but then some of the liquid water has to evaporate, and/or some of the ice and snow has to sublimate before there can be more rain.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5244
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby Ankerson » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:46 pm

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:44 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:06 am

All of the ice on the planet could melt and the sea level won't rise one inch.

The Earth is 2/3 water, the math just never added up on that one and it never will no matter how they try and cook it... One doesn't have to be a math genius to figure that one out...

It would have to rain for like 100 years straight to start making any sort of real difference in the sea levels.

Not even sure if that would do it, Jim. The way I see it, there's a relatively finite amount of water on, in, and over the earth. Some of it is liquid, some of it is solid, and some of it is water vapor in the air. When there's too much water vapor in the air, we get rain, but then some of the liquid water has to evaporate, and/or some of the ice and snow has to sublimate before there can be more rain.

Yes, I know. :D

I was just having some fun with the whole idea..

As some of us know their whole agenda and thought process doesn't hold water. (Pun intended)

I just can't believe people are buying into it. LOL

Were is all this water going to come from to make the oceans rise all that much?

If it's not already here, and it's not here on this planet I suppose from outer space from that huge jug I was talking about earlier? :D

User avatar
ChrisinHove
Member
Posts: 2070
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:12 am
Location: England, still in the EU.

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby ChrisinHove » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:17 pm

http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/glacie ... -changing/

They reckon here that the Antarctic ice sheet covers 8.3% of the earths land surface, and by measuring the ice volume by satellite and radar mapping, it contains enough water to raise sea levels by 58m!

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5244
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby Ankerson » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:18 pm

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:17 pm
http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/glacie ... -changing/

They reckon here that the Antarctic ice sheet covers 8.3% of the earths land surface, and by measuring the ice volume by satellite and radar mapping, it contains enough water to raise sea levels by 58m!

Edit..
Last edited by Ankerson on Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5244
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby Ankerson » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:20 pm

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:18 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:17 pm
http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/glacie ... -changing/

They reckon here that the Antarctic ice sheet covers 8.3% of the earths land surface, and by measuring the ice volume by satellite and radar mapping, it contains enough water to raise sea levels by 58m!

Not even remotely true... not even in their wildest dreams...

The oceans cover 66.7% of the Earth.

Land is 23.3%

So what they are saying is ice on 8% the land mass is going to raise the ocean level 58m (190 ft) on 67% of the Earth's surface.

IMPOSSIBLE.

I think they are crazy...

User avatar
ChrisinHove
Member
Posts: 2070
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:12 am
Location: England, still in the EU.

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby ChrisinHove » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:36 pm

So 8.3% of the land surface is Antarctic, which is 1.9% of the earth surface.

So to make a 58m sea level rise, each square meter of Antarctic would have to produce 52 x 58m of water, so 3016m, or about 1.9 miles.

According to the Australian Gov, the average depth of ice there is 2.16km, 2160m or 1.34 miles.

That makes about a 40m sea level rise, without calculating volume / density differences of freshwater ice and sea water. That’s still a lot.

Or am I missing something?

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5244
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby Ankerson » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:37 pm

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:36 pm
So 8.3% of the land surface is Antarctic, which is 1.9% of the earth surface.

So to make a 58m sea level rise, each square meter of Antarctic would have to produce 52 x 58m of water, so 3016m, or about 1.9 miles.

According to the Australian Gov, the average depth of ice there is 2.16km, 2160m or 1.34 miles.

That makes about a 40m sea level rise, without calculating volume / density differences of freshwater ice and sea water. That’s still a lot.

Or am I missing something?


All the Oceans are connected. ;)

The oceans cover 141,600,000 square miles.

Antarctica covers 5.41 million sq miles, not all of it's ice either...

Even say the ice is 1.34 miles thick that's still not enough to make the Ocean levels rise. And that's not even taking into count ice shrinks when it's melted and a percentage will evaporate. A percentage would become rain and fall on land going into the water tables, lakes etc.

That's not even getting into how long it would actually take to melt and all that would happen over the years it would take.
Last edited by Ankerson on Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
shunsui
Member
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:22 pm

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby shunsui » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:25 pm

I'm waiting for all the True Believers to start buying land in Canada, Alaska, and Siberia.

Personally I'm more concerned about the other 9 ways the earth gets killed that they tell us about on cable tv. E.G. something large, round, and orbits the sun hits us.

Dan: "lt's the size of Texas, Mr President."
Armageddon 1998

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5244
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby Ankerson » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:27 pm

shunsui wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:25 pm
I'm waiting for all the True Believers to start buying land in Canada, Alaska, and Siberia.

Personally I'm more concerned about the other 9 ways the earth gets killed that they tell us about on cable tv. E.G. something large, round, and orbits the sun hits us.

Dan: "lt's the size of Texas, Mr President."
Armageddon 1998


We have a much better chance of that happening than anything those people could ever dream up. ;)

The Earth has been hit at least twice by planet killing asteroids over it's 4.5 billion years..

Very slim chance of that happening however anytime soon, but still better than what they are talking about, chance of ZERO of them happening.

Yeah sure millions of years from now the Sun will start to heat up the Earth quite a bit killing everything on the planet and boiling the oceans away.. Nothing we can do to stop that from happening. Or once it turns into a Red Giant eventually Billions of years from now and wipes out all the planets from Mercury threw Mars.....

Yes the Earth has an expiration date, one day it will be gone absorbed by the Sun. But everything will be long dead well before that happens. It will be a molten ball of rock again long before then.

User avatar
shunsui
Member
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:22 pm

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby shunsui » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:44 pm

Apparently the moon moves a little farther away from the earth every year.

Eventually it would escape earth's orbit and wander away.

However it's not a problem because the Sun will swell up in size beyond the earth's orbit by then. :D
Last edited by shunsui on Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5244
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby Ankerson » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:45 pm

shunsui wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:44 pm
Apparently the moon moves a little farther away from the earth every year.

Eventually it will escape earth's orbit and wander away.

However it's not a problem because the Sun will swell up in size beyond the earth's orbit by then.

Yup, that's what they say.

James Y
Member
Posts: 1310
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Southern CA

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby James Y » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:00 pm

shunsui wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:25 pm
I'm waiting for all the True Believers to start buying land in Canada, Alaska, and Siberia.
I thought Siberia was one of the places that have gotten and continue to get hit with large meteor crashes more than other places. I certainly wouldn’t move there to get away from it all (not that I’m planning on moving anywhere, anyway).

Jim

User avatar
shunsui
Member
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:22 pm

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby shunsui » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:19 pm

James Y wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:00 pm
I thought Siberia was one of the places that have gotten and continue to get hit with large meteor crashes more than other places. I certainly wouldn’t move there to get away from it all (not that I’m planning on moving anywhere, anyway).

Jim
Well... it's a big place. :D

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5244
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby Ankerson » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:46 pm

James Y wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:00 pm
shunsui wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:25 pm
I'm waiting for all the True Believers to start buying land in Canada, Alaska, and Siberia.
I thought Siberia was one of the places that have gotten and continue to get hit with large meteor crashes more than other places. I certainly wouldn’t move there to get away from it all (not that I’m planning on moving anywhere, anyway).

Jim

Jim,

They won't move because the ones behind it all know it's all BS to generate money and THEY will never move to any of those hardship places. ;)

Like a bunch of Billionaires moving to Northern Alaska or Greenland etc.... Yeah right...

They need to be right in the middle of things to generate more money. ;)

Once we see the Billionaires start to move into bunkers and selling off all of their land etc. Then it's time to start worrying. They will know LONG before anyone else does when things will really happen. And they will be on the move bigtime....

But until that time happens, nope.

Don't hold your breath waiting however.


Jim

User avatar
ChrisinHove
Member
Posts: 2070
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:12 am
Location: England, still in the EU.

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby ChrisinHove » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:22 am

I did read that the super rich have been buying up space in high security super-bunkers.

The trouble with that is in an Armageddon type scenario, why on earth would the armed guards let them in?!! At that point, money becomes meaningless.

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5244
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby Ankerson » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:50 am

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:22 am
I did read that the super rich have been buying up space in high security super-bunkers.

The trouble with that is in an Armageddon type scenario, why on earth would the armed guards let them in?!! At that point, money becomes meaningless.

They are also buying land on the moon too. LOL

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17543
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby JD Spydo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:32 pm

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:22 am
I did read that the super rich have been buying up space in high security super-bunkers.

The trouble with that is in an Armageddon type scenario, why on earth would the armed guards let them in?!! At that point, money becomes meaningless.
The super rich have been buying up areas of the Ozark Mountains here in Missouri for the past 20 years or so. Where I used to go hunting very close to the Lake of the Ozarks there were two gated communities that joined the land I used to hunt on. One of the gated communities was owned by a very well known US Billionaire and his family.

I've also been told by two people I really trust that they are also buying up land in Montana and Wyoming at a rapid rate as well.

Not sure just how bad it would be if an oversized meteor or asteroid were to hit the earth. But I'm sure that there would be a lot of carnage particularly if you are in an urban area.

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5244
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby Ankerson » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:47 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:32 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:22 am
I did read that the super rich have been buying up space in high security super-bunkers.

The trouble with that is in an Armageddon type scenario, why on earth would the armed guards let them in?!! At that point, money becomes meaningless.
The super rich have been buying up areas of the Ozark Mountains here in Missouri for the past 20 years or so. Where I used to go hunting very close to the Lake of the Ozarks there were two gated communities that joined the land I used to hunt on. One of the gated communities was owned by a very well known US Billionaire and his family.

I've also been told by two people I really trust that they are also buying up land in Montana and Wyoming at a rapid rate as well.

Not sure just how bad it would be if an oversized meteor or asteroid were to hit the earth. But I'm sure that there would be a lot of carnage particularly if you are in an urban area.

Well lets put it this way, if one hits that anything close to the size of the one that hit 75 Million years ago. There will be total destruction and a nuclear winter that will last for years killing just about everything on the planet.

James Y
Member
Posts: 1310
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Southern CA

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby James Y » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:19 pm

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:47 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:32 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:22 am
I did read that the super rich have been buying up space in high security super-bunkers.

The trouble with that is in an Armageddon type scenario, why on earth would the armed guards let them in?!! At that point, money becomes meaningless.
The super rich have been buying up areas of the Ozark Mountains here in Missouri for the past 20 years or so. Where I used to go hunting very close to the Lake of the Ozarks there were two gated communities that joined the land I used to hunt on. One of the gated communities was owned by a very well known US Billionaire and his family.

I've also been told by two people I really trust that they are also buying up land in Montana and Wyoming at a rapid rate as well.

Not sure just how bad it would be if an oversized meteor or asteroid were to hit the earth. But I'm sure that there would be a lot of carnage particularly if you are in an urban area.


Well lets put it this way, if one hits that anything close to the size of the one that hit 75 Million years ago. There will be total destruction and a nuclear winter that will last for years killing just about everything on the planet.
If that ever happened and death was inevitable anyway, I’d rather go quickly than try to ride it out in some underground facility that will eventually become a death trap.

Jim

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5244
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Postby Ankerson » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:49 pm

James Y wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:19 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:47 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:32 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:22 am
I did read that the super rich have been buying up space in high security super-bunkers.

The trouble with that is in an Armageddon type scenario, why on earth would the armed guards let them in?!! At that point, money becomes meaningless.
The super rich have been buying up areas of the Ozark Mountains here in Missouri for the past 20 years or so. Where I used to go hunting very close to the Lake of the Ozarks there were two gated communities that joined the land I used to hunt on. One of the gated communities was owned by a very well known US Billionaire and his family.

I've also been told by two people I really trust that they are also buying up land in Montana and Wyoming at a rapid rate as well.

Not sure just how bad it would be if an oversized meteor or asteroid were to hit the earth. But I'm sure that there would be a lot of carnage particularly if you are in an urban area.


Well lets put it this way, if one hits that anything close to the size of the one that hit 75 Million years ago. There will be total destruction and a nuclear winter that will last for years killing just about everything on the planet.
If that ever happened and death was inevitable anyway, I’d rather go quickly than try to ride it out in some underground facility that will eventually become a death trap.

Jim


Ground zero or very near by is the best place to be really, for that or a Nuclear attack.

You won't feel a thing.

Yeah spend 3 years or more underground and run out of food then go up above ground find out there is nothing left, everything is gone... That would be bad....


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests