Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Post by JD Spydo »

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:58 pm
In 2018 I observed this phenomena while holding down a beer on the deck of our rental beach house.
At that time I didn't say anything to anyone because I did not want to sound like a loon.
In the meantime, I Googled around and found this scholarly thread on the topic by people much smarter than I am.
https://www.metabunk.org/how-to-take-a- ... zon.t8859/

When we returned to Galveston this year, I used the panoramic feature on my new iPhone 8 to take the handheld picture.
The railing in the foreground helps to see the curve. A lens can make a straight line appear to be curved,
but by having the railing in the foreground they would both have to be curved the same way.

Now I will confess that as I pivoted the camera it may have risen slightly in the middle.
Take a straight edge, like the edge of a piece of paper and hold it over the corners of the railing.
A tiny sliver of the gulf appears in the middle.
But flip it over and hold that same straight edge under the corners of the railing and the gulf definitely has a bulge in it.

The picture is almost a 180 degree view, all the way northeast up the coast to Galveston
and all the way southwest down the coast to the San Luis Pass.
So it is not a small layout, but about 15 miles in each direction, about a 30 mile span.

But I could be wrong, I often am.
Hey Mad Mac is there a possibility that a swell in the tide or maybe a wake off of a big passing boat might have made that arching appearance in the horizon? Again I'm not any type of a scientist at all. But with the earth having a circumference of close to 25,000 miles I would think you might have to be up as high as Mt. Everest or comparable to see any of the Earth's curvature. I've flown on commercial airlines a lot in the past 20 years and I always try to get window seats. I enjoy watching the scenery as we are flying by. And I can't remember one time I noticed any of the Earth's curvature. That's not saying it wasn't there because maybe I just didn't know exactly what to look for :confused:

I'm thinking what you saw there might be some type of turbulence in the tide or some other water disturbance. It is a very interesting photograph to say the least I will admit that.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Well, the earth curves away at about 8 inches per mile. http://www.davidsenesac.com/Information ... sight.html If a person could stand in one place and observe a point 15 miles in one direction and 15 miles in the opposite direction, that's 30 miles times 8 inches or 240 inches which would be a bulge of 20 feet in the middle.

If you read the thread on metabunk you can see that one person simply sighted over a level. I considered making a water level with three clear tubes joined together with one running 20 feet left and one to the right and a third tube perpendicular to them to sight from, but that seemed like too much trouble.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:28 pm
Well, the earth curves away at about 8 inches per mile. http://www.davidsenesac.com/Information ... sight.html If a person could stand in one place and observe a point 15 miles in one direction and 15 miles in the opposite direction, that's 30 miles times 8 inches or 240 inches which would be a bulge of 20 feet in the middle.

If you read the thread on metabunk you can see that one person simply sighted over a level. I considered making a water level with three clear tubes joined together with one running 20 feet left and one to the right and a third tube perpendicular to them to sight from, but that seemed like too much trouble.
That sounds mathematically right>> and I don't doubt you at all. But now I'm wondering why I never noticed it any better than that with all the flying I've done in the past 20 years or so. I've been on some private aircraft that don't go nearly as high as the commercial airliners do. I think a guy might notice it better on flat plains or maybe on plateau areas as well.

But again I'm not so sure that oceans, lakes or seas are ideal for observing the curvature of the earth. And again I'm a firm believer in a spherical shaped earth. I wish I knew of a practical and scientific way to prove it. The whole Flat Earth argument makes no sense to me at all. If that were the truth then airline pilots would have figured that out long ago. But it's just the opposite.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:33 pm
James Y wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:39 pm
The earth can be strange. I heard that certain parts of the ocean surface are lower than other parts of the same ocean.

Jim

I still remember when I was on ship once and the Ocean was so calm it was like a huge sheet of glass.

I am talking not a ripple for as far as you could see in all directions.

Want to talk about a weird feeling... :eek:
That sounds both oddly beautiful and creepy at the same time.

Jim
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

On a broad sea panorama the curvature *is* perceptible from land. Anyhow, if you look out to sea and just see horizon, what else can explain that other than the earth curving away from you?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Back in the day of turbojet ( not turbofan) powered 707's and DC 8's the aircraft would end up at 43k to 45k as the fuel burned off and the plane got lighter on long flights. Up at that height the earth sure looks curved to me.

BTW, the only guy I ever knew that was in the flat earth society was a scientist who knew better and joined ironically.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’m just not going to say it. I’m tempted, but I’m not going to say it.

By the way, did you all know the Bible says the earth is round?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I miss seeing these kinds of threads pop up on almost a daily basis...please come back SEF!!!!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:28 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
The earth can be strange. I heard that certain parts of the ocean surface are lower than other parts of the same ocean.

Jim

I still remember when I was on ship once and the Ocean was so calm it was like a huge sheet of glass.

Jim

Yeah it could get kinda strange sometimes, was on 4 floats when I was in.

Kinda eerie sometimes on the ocean.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:16 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim

Excuse my ignorance - four floats?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:26 am
Ankerson wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:16 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim

Excuse my ignorance - four floats?

Deployments.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

James Y wrote:

Jim
Yes because there is a bulge and the earth across the oceans mainly. This is due to the pull of the moons gravity and the span of the earth on its axis.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:36 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim
Yes because there is a bold and the earth across the oceans mainly. This is due to the pull of the moons gravity and the span of the earth on its axis.
Thanks, Doc Dan.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:04 am

Yeah there are like 4 to 5 verses in the Old Testament indicating that. Also the way you can go east indefinitely but if you go north there will come a point to where you are going south>> that can only be like that on a spherical, heliocentric ball.

that's also interesting that Galileo feared the Pope and the Catholic church at that time because they didn't believe that. Turns out he was right all along.

What I would like to know is what got this present day "Flat Earth Movement" going :confused: ?? Because their numbers are getting bigger too.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:47 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

Yeah there are like 4 to 5 verses in the Old Testament indicating that. Also the way you can go east indefinitely but if you go north there will come a point to where you are going south>> that can only be like that on a spherical, heliocentric ball.

that's also interesting that Galileo feared the Pope and the Catholic church at that time because they didn't believe that. Turns out he was right all along.

What I would like to know is what got this present day "Flat Earth Movement" going :confused: ?? Because their numbers are getting bigger too.

Just complete general stupidity, ignorance, lack of common since, complete lack of general knowledge..

Same as those people who believe the Earth is only 10K years old and Dinosaurs and humans were on the Earth at the same time. :rolleyes:

I could go on with some of the current agendas (all of them really) that are also complete BS.... But I won't.

The real scary part is people actually believe it and they allow these people to reproduce... :rolleyes:
James Y

Post by James Y »

I remember when Shaquille O’Neal was saying he believed the earth was flat, then later said he’d been joking all along. But supposedly some other NBA players really believe it.

Jim
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

James Y wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:39 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim
Yes because there is a bold and the earth across the oceans mainly. This is due to the pull of the moons gravity and the span of the earth on its axis.
Thanks, Doc Dan.

Jim
The word is bulge, not bold. Autocorrect again.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:49 pm
James Y wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:39 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim
Thanks, Doc Dan.

Jim
The word is bulge, not bold. Autocorrect again.
I had a feeling that was what you meant. Same thing happens when I’m typing on my iPad.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:08 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Just complete general stupidity, ignorance, lack of common since, complete lack of general knowledge..

Same as those people who believe the Earth is only 10K years old and Dinosaurs and humans were on the Earth at the same time. :rolleyes:

I could go on with some of the current agendas (all of them really) that are also complete BS.... But I won't.

The real scary part is people actually believe it and they allow these people to reproduce... :rolleyes:
ON the flat earth vs spherical earth debate I totally agree with you Ankerson. Because in this modern age you would have had airline/aviation pilots and navigators on the sea that would have figured that out even centuries ago. Also with even ancient seamen like Piri Reis and Ferdinand Magellan they both more than proved that the earth wasn't flat or disc shaped. Also if the earth were flat everyone on the planet would have their days and nights at the same exact time. You are right there are just so many common sense aspects that can not in any way support this Flat Earth movement at all. I'm just baffled as to how it even got started in the first place :confused:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:55 am
Ankerson wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:08 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

ON the flat earth vs spherical earth debate I totally agree with you Ankerson. Because in this modern age you would have had airline/aviation pilots and navigators on the sea that would have figured that out even centuries ago. Also with even ancient seamen like Piri Reis and Ferdinand Magellan they both more than proved that the earth wasn't flat or disc shaped. Also if the earth were flat everyone on the planet would have their days and nights at the same exact time. You are right there are just so many common sense aspects that can not in any way support this Flat Earth movement at all. I'm just baffled as to how it even got started in the first place :confused:

People in general can be manipulated into thinking anything is true no matter how stupid and totally impossible it may be. ;)

All they really have to do is think for themselves and have a mind of their own, but sadly for a lot it's not going to happen.

Humans in general are incredibly easy to manipulate as history has shown.

That's were the term think outside the box comes from. Don't think how they want you to (Tell you how), have your own mind and think for yourself.