Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Post by Mad Mac »

Well, zero population growth can be achieved by each woman having no more than two children. Some will have only one. Some will have none. So it is actually negative population growth until the planet reaches a sustainable level, one or two billion people. You can still have grandchildren.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Mad Mac wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:16 pm
Well, zero population growth can be achieved by each woman having no more than two children. Some will have only one. Some will have none. So it is actually negative population growth until the planet reaches a sustainable level, one or two billion people. You can still have grandchildren.
I think the number was something like 2 or 3 Billion if I remember correctly, but 1 or 2 Billion would be even better.

Sounds much better than the 10 Billion that has been predicted by 2050.

I think it will be controlled one way or another eventually, either by nature or controlled by humans.

One way is easy and humane, the other way, well it won't be pretty at all.

Knowing human nature it won't be the easy way and I am glad I won't be around to see it happen. ;)
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Mad Mac wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:16 pm
If my son was to marry or partner up with a woman who already had 2 kids that would mean the end of my family line. Not so keen on that.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

gingerninja wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:19 pm
If my son was to marry or partner up with a woman who already had 2 kids that would mean the end of my family line. Not so keen on that.
Ging, you can still marry good looking sheep in Kiwi, yeah? :p
Last edited by Bloke on Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:43 pm
gingerninja wrote:
Ging, you still still marry good looking sheep in Kiwi, yeah? :p
We only marry the better looking ones.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:50 pm
Mad Mac wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:48 pm
One year ago in this thread I stated, and still believe, that zero population growth is the fastest, cheapest, and most effective way to correct the arc of our destiny.

I am of the same thought process.
Same here
Chris :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

gingerninja wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:51 pm
Bloke wrote:
gingerninja wrote:
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :) :cool:
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:11 pm
gingerninja wrote:
Bloke wrote:
gingerninja wrote:
Just remember mot to buy exported nz lamb
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Yeah tell me about the NZ vs Aus lamb, please. I am very fascinated by Australian and New Zealand people and cultures and products such as the meats and foods made by them. I knew two people one from NZ and one from Aus and both were explaining to me the differences between vegemite and marmite and their taste preferences, very fascinating.

They also told me that both Aus and NZ make the best lamb in the world.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

They may raise the best lamb in AUS or NZ but the Greeks cook it the best.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:11 am
Preach! I just had some lamb off the spit at Greek Easter last weekend. More food than you can shake a stick at.
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:11 am
They sure do a great job at it
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

gingerninja wrote:
Bloke wrote:
gingerninja wrote:
Yep, we export the ugly ones to Aussie and raise the Gene pool of BOTH Countries :cool:
We Kiwis know Ewe Aussies like blondes.
I can be a real Baastard sometimes..
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

kiwisailor wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:07 am
gingerninja wrote:
Bloke wrote:
Yep, we export the ugly ones to Aussie and raise the Gene pool of BOTH Countries :cool:
You Kiwis are just too kind! :rolleyes:
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:53 am
kiwisailor wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:07 am
gingerninja wrote:
Bloke wrote:
You Kiwis are just too kind! :rolleyes:
Ewe know it
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

This panoramic photo I made last summer of the Gulf of Mexico shows the curvature of the earth.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:16 pm
This panoramic photo I made last summer of the Gulf of Mexico shows the curvature of the earth.
First off let it be known right up front that I JD Spydo am not a "Flat Earther". I firmly believe that we are on a spherical, Heliocentric ball that rotates on it's axis. So I don't have a dog in the Flat Earth vs Globe Earth argument at all. I've avoided this thread up till now for a lot of different reasons. Because I'm not a scientist of any type at all. But I don't see how we could have season changes, Day & Night changes, cold vs hot weather changes,>> not to mention season differences in the northern and southern hemispheres if the Earth wasn't spherical.

But the photo that Mad Mac just showed us does raise questions with me. Because according to scientists the world ( our planet) is about 8000 miles in diameter and thousands of miles in circumference. With that being said how on GOD's blue planet could you have that much noticeable curvature in that short of lateral distance :confused: ? NO I don't believe that there would be that much curvature in that small of a layout. But if I'm wrong then please explain why?

No I think that Galileo had it right all the way back to his days. I sure wish Brother SEF would come back. This vacation of his has gone on far too long :)
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

In 2018 I observed this phenomena while holding down a beer on the deck of our rental beach house.
At that time I didn't say anything to anyone because I did not want to sound like a loon.
In the meantime, I Googled around and found this scholarly thread on the topic by people much smarter than I am.
https://www.metabunk.org/how-to-take-a- ... zon.t8859/

When we returned to Galveston this year, I used the panoramic feature on my new iPhone 8 to take the handheld picture.
The railing in the foreground helps to see the curve. A lens can make a straight line appear to be curved,
but by having the railing in the foreground they would both have to be curved the same way.

Now I will confess that as I pivoted the camera it may have risen slightly in the middle.
Take a straight edge, like the edge of a piece of paper and hold it over the corners of the railing.
A tiny sliver of the gulf appears in the middle.
But flip it over and hold that same straight edge under the corners of the railing and the gulf definitely has a bulge in it.

The picture is almost a 180 degree view, all the way northeast up the coast to Galveston
and all the way southwest down the coast to the San Luis Pass.
So it is not a small layout, but about 15 miles in each direction, about a 30 mile span.

But I could be wrong, I often am.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The earth can be strange. I heard that certain parts of the ocean surface are lower than other parts of the same ocean.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:39 pm
The earth can be strange. I heard that certain parts of the ocean surface are lower than other parts of the same ocean.

Jim

I still remember when I was on ship once and the Ocean was so calm it was like a huge sheet of glass.

I am talking not a ripple for as far as you could see in all directions.

Want to talk about a weird feeling... :eek: