Knife Robot - paging Ed Schempp

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RLDubbya

Knife Robot - paging Ed Schempp

Post by RLDubbya »

Wow.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/knif ... -sharpener#/

This was, I guess, inevitable. Much of our idea of progress is to embed "knowledge" into automated products, systems, processes and use humans only to manage, support, and install those things. Sharpening is a perfect example: the knowledge required to sharpen a blade is not daunting. The practice required to train the mind-muscle connection might well be impossible for some people, it's probably something that doesn't fit in well with current lifestyle optimization, and for just about everybody it's not trivial.

I'm really curious to hear more from Ed on this, since he's used it.

Ed, I don't mean to put you on the spot, but having used it, what are your further thoughts? If you used it, and feel it's something that is for real, why didn't I see you on the list of backers? Would you recommend that others back it?

Do you have any further thoughts at all on this machine?

If you're not comfortable discussing, I understand. It's just that it seems like such an inevitable development, and probably a good development, that I'd like to learn more from an unbiased source with exposure to the actual product. Armchair expertise only gets you so far.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Knife Robot - paging Ed Schempp

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd like to see some close ups of the finished edge. I'd also like to know how they keep the blade cool on the belts, as well as where all the metal dust goes, cleaning ect.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

From their site: "78%..... or don't like the noise,"

Seriously? The NOISE of sharpening a knife? Stroke, stroke, stroke, stroke.... I can't image many sounds that are more soothing. Okay, maybe THAT'S just me but I really doubt the noise keeps folks from sharpening their knives. That's just silly.

Ken

Looking closer, for someone with more money than time or skill, who wants decently sharp knives, this looks like a good solution. Only three grits and 40° is probably going to keep knife "affis " away, but for the business exec who enjoys cooking on the weekends etc, probably a good way to keep his knives tuned up
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I'd like to see some close ups of the finished edge. I'd also like to know how they keep the blade cool on the belts, as well as where all the metal dust goes, cleaning ect.
Just my humble experience: I use a WorkSharp belt grinder, 1/2 inch belts. Heat is not an issue, even on the hardest steels. The key is to use a light pressure; as long as you do that, and take your time, heat does not build up. Heat can be a problem on doing the initial main grinding for stock removal on the raw blanks, but not for sharpening a blade.

I notice with the WorkSharp, that all metal dust tends to collect in one or two areas. I don't know if the WS was engineered with that in mind, or if it's just happenstance. I'd be willing to bet that with some engineering, you could get 99% of the metal dust to go into a cup that slides out for emptying.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

RLDubbya wrote:... I'd be willing to bet that with some engineering, you could get 99% of the metal dust to go into a cup that slides out for emptying.
that would be cool. 99% of the people I know couldn't sharpen a knife to save their lives, this might not be something that I would use a whole lot, but it would make a great gift for everyone else in my life that doesn't have the equipment or more importantly skill to sharpen a knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pretty cool but no thanks. I'm not so pressed for time that I'd trust an automated belt sander on my expensive knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think it's intended for kitchen knives and such, not "nice" knives. At least their "built in" verbiage seems to imply that.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Oh yeah, it's a thing, my ex hated the sound of sharpening.

As far as the product, I'd be interested to see the actual unit they intend to sell, more than the *large* proof of concept unit... I wonder how easy belt changes are, if you're not techie enough to use a system sharpener, will you be able to do routine maintenance on this beast??

I'll stick with freehand on my kitchen blades and the Hapstone Pro for the rest, thanks.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

I was contacted about consulting on this machine. I let the inventor know that I would help but would only tell the truth. I spent a half a day seeing the machine work. The original setting was too large of inclusive angle, the machine was reprogrammed to yield a less than 40 degree inclusive sharpening angle. Inspected edge and did some test cuts. It starts with a 240-320 grit sharpening until there is a burr or feather on the edge then a 6000 grit belt finishes the edge and removes the burr. This is much the same way that I sharpen with a 40 micron slack belt, followed by buffing edge with a green 1200 grit compound. This process yields a polished micro tooth edge. I found this to be a good aggressive cutting edge. I've been using this edge on all the law enforcement knives that I do to support my local police.
The knife I used was a training knife for Bladesports participants. The blade is light weight, 1/16 15N-20. I cut many bottles, straws and rope without resharpening.
Can this machine sharpen effectively? Yes it can. Is it as good as I am sharpening as I am? I don't think so. I use a different geometry on tips than I do with the majority of the edge. I use an angel greater than 40 degrees on the tip about 1/2 inch from the tip back. I believe that my method is superior as I can maintain a strong sharp tip and point. I've got a lot of experience and understanding of the type of metal that I'm working to sharpen, born from testing. When I won the OKCA rope cutting I was about the only competitor that machine sharpened. Wayne Goddard really impressed me with extensive testing, thanks Wayne... Ed
Donut

Post by Donut »

I like robots. o.O

It's pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing, everyone.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

Ed Schempp wrote:I was contacted about consulting on this machine. I let the inventor know that I would help but would only tell the truth. I spent a half a day seeing the machine work. The original setting was too large of inclusive angle, the machine was reprogrammed to yield a less than 40 degree inclusive sharpening angle. Inspected edge and did some test cuts. It starts with a 240-320 grit sharpening until there is a burr or feather on the edge then a 6000 grit belt finishes the edge and removes the burr. This is much the same way that I sharpen with a 40 micron slack belt, followed by buffing edge with a green 1200 grit compound. This process yields a polished micro tooth edge. I found this to be a good aggressive cutting edge. I've been using this edge on all the law enforcement knives that I do to support my local police.
The knife I used was a training knife for Bladesports participants. The blade is light weight, 1/16 15N-20. I cut many bottles, straws and rope without resharpening.
Can this machine sharpen effectively? Yes it can. Is it as good as I am sharpening as I am? I don't think so. I use a different geometry on tips than I do with the majority of the edge. I use an angel greater than 40 degrees on the tip about 1/2 inch from the tip back. I believe that my method is superior as I can maintain a strong sharp tip and point. I've got a lot of experience and understanding of the type of metal that I'm working to sharpen, born from testing. When I won the OKCA rope cutting I was about the only competitor that machine sharpened. Wayne Goddard really impressed me with extensive testing, thanks Wayne... Ed
I would really hope that this machine is not Ed 2.0! However, I'll bet that it can come close or surpass the Bob Sharpener Version .3 . I'm starting to learn more about sharpening, and it seems like every week I learn something new. Thankfully there are people like you, Ed, who are willing to answer a question here and there and help me learn.

Ed, how does this machine detect the burr?

Also, since you brought this up I am compelled to ask: can you describe your process for tip sharpening?

Thanks. I greatly appreciate your time and thought on this.
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

The machine has a camera and a video screen for a close up photo of the edge, you can see the burr.

I sharpen edge down except the tip which is edge up right under a wheel. This prevents the tip from rounding off.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, Ed:

Thank you very much for your comments and clarification. It's always an honor to have you here!

Stay safe,

Mike
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Just saw this unit in an online ad this morning. Like the concept primarily for big kitchen operations and would like to see it with a programmable sharpening angle...not just a fixed one. Like Ed said...not a better sharpener than me, but better than most folks.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This video makes me want a larger Schempp Rock.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

Michael Janich wrote:Hey, Ed:

Thank you very much for your comments and clarification. It's always an honor to have you here!

Stay safe,

Mike
Do you have any idea how freakin' great it is for a putz like me to be able to have a dialog with people like Ed?

This forum is a gold mine.

Thanks to everybody who makes it possible as well a huge shout-out to Ed for making the time.