Southern grind spider monkey?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jmh58

Re: Southern grind spider monkey?

Post by jmh58 »

I want one!!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I know people that have them, and they really like them. I have not handled any.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I follow them on instagram and they make some pretty cool stuff, I hope to have one of their knives one day :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

Zombie bumping this one, on the off chance anyone is still interested.

I just got a copper handled Spider Monkey and am immediately impressed. Whoever designed and built this model knows and loves knives. I mistakenly thought they were just kind of a gimmick brand to grab some sales from Zac Brown fans, but this thing is truly nice.

The overall aesthetics (handle shape, thumb ramp and studs) were not even all that appealing to me personally, though I'm warming up to them now. Really, really like the copper scales on mine. Nice heft and should look good as it ages.

The thing about these is the action. If you like cycling your folders while watching tv or just to play with them, this thing is positively addicting. "Snickety-snick" seems like an appropriate way to describe how the action feels. Just smooth as glass out of the box with a detent feel that is just perfect. Thick ti liner engages early and releases without a whiff of stick. Big stop pin clearly helps it lock up tight.

The only thing I didn't like was the angle on the leading edge of the stubby pocket clip. Far too abrupt and steep of an angle, creates a big hot spot in the hand. So, I yanked it off, put it in the aluminum jaw covers of my bench vise and gently squeezed the tip of the clip to decrease that angle by about half. Much, much better. No more hot spot and the clip works just fine.

If you're at all curious, I would not hesitate to recommend. The action alone is worth the price of admission, imho. Closest thing I can compare it to is a well broken in Sebenza. Very impressed.
TheKnifeCollector

Congrats on your Spider Monkey! How heavy is it with the copper scales? I am glad that you are enjoying it. Do you have any pix of yours? TIA! :)
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

5.38 oz. Not a lightweight, but I like the heft.

Q&D pics as I'm sitting here watching tv. Still very much looking like a shiny penny. :-)

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Well after much thought.. I went way out my comfort zone (under 100.00) and ordered a Jade Ghost handle, black blade, hardware.. Guess its better to beg for forgiveness than permission... :D John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
TheKnifeCollector

Congrats!

Thank for the pix of your copper handled one. That looks really nice.
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

TheKnifeCollector wrote:Congrats!

Thank for the pix of your copper handled one. That looks really nice.
Thanks. A few days in, the copper is already darkening up and getting some character. Cannot stop cycling it, just such a good feel.
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

jmh58 wrote:Well after much thought.. I went way out my comfort zone (under 100.00) and ordered a Jade Ghost handle, black blade, hardware.. Guess its better to beg for forgiveness than permission... :D John
Nice! I hope you like yours as much as I'm enjoying this one.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I've never bought any, but I've got the chance to handle a few here and there. They always struck me as an Emerson with much better action, fit, and finish.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN