Human-Robot Relationships?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Human-Robot Relationships?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Here is a strange but interesting question set for you all my fellow forum people.

Years ago I read a book written with seriousness by a computer scientist where he predicted that within the next 50-100 years, humans would make robots and computer programs so advanced that humans would have companion and even "marriage" to robots. I have been reading and looking into the latest advances in synthetic skin, flesh, body parts, and the mechanisms that go in this direction.

Some questions I have:

1 If these companion robots became advanced enough to look, feel, smell, and react like a person, but with pre programmed sets of responses, and people began to use them for more than just household workers and industrial workers, would you consider such a person to be emotionally, spiritually, and mentally bad off, because they have not pursued a normal relationship such as courting another human being? Ie, is it basically like a person "going with" a plastic doll?

2 What societal-effects would it have (medical, industrial, military, government, etc etc etc) if we could make human like robots that either were pre programmed or could have limited self-awareness, and could physically do everything that human beings do, and even to a greater extent than us?

I will admit, and this may surprise some on here: While I totally see the evidence for the possibility of such things as Self replicating nano machines and replicators and advanced programmed machine intelligence... I am very skeptical of the idea that even advanced software and codes and computers could ever be truly self aware and think on their own like you and I do. I know people in the "Trans Human Singularity" world who are absolutely convinced that we can make Self Aware Human level artificial intelligences, and some of them believe that the machines will become even SMARTER and MORE INTELLIGENT than humans! But I am very skeptical of this. So far I see that what comes out must go in.

I would especially appreciate feedback from demoncase and anyone else who is very interested in advanced technology and computers but please anyone feel free to offer your views on this.

One guy I know who is a big techno singularity man, told me he has already signed up for the company called Alcor
( http://www.alcor.org/ )
He has paid for them to, at the time of his clinical/brain death, to surgically remove his head and place it in a tank of liquid nitrogen. He wears a stainless steel bracelet that has his info and tells any paramedics/EMS people to contact Alcor (has their number) for that process to happen.

This same person told me he is an advocate for humans marrying and having relations with android people.

Very strange right?

A lot of legal problems could arise, too. Say one of these synthetic people somehow kills or injures someone. Who is held responsible? The machine or the owner? And all sorts of issues.
holeshot

Re: Human-Robot Relationships?

Post by holeshot »

Read Isac Asimovs, IRobot, first rule do no harm to humans. Well, that didn't work out so well.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
zacmangray

Post by zacmangray »

I wouldn't doubt seeing all you mentioned someday. People are loosing compassion for one another, some seem detached from their emotions, and more interested in the quickest satisfaction. If you can program a robot to cook, clean the house, do the laundry, trim the hedge, mow the law, and then .... ;) without all the emotional attachment, along with everything else that a real relationship has. Why not?
Well it's not natural, it's not smart, and it's not good for your health. I mean there has to be some side affects. Maybe a short circuit and you will find yourself in a vice. :eek:
Personally I will stick with the good old fashioned procreation proclamation. :rolleyes:
:spyder: LWManix2s110v,MuleTeamCPM4V,Dragonfly,
DLCorangePM2XHP,PurpleDragonfly,PurpleDelica,BBCEDelica,Caly3,BBManix2,DBs110vManix2 :spyder:
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Don't date Robots:

https://youtu.be/JVNHytyB2rE
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/