Keeping stones from clogging

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Keeping stones from clogging

Postby Evil D » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:30 pm

I'm doing some heavy reprofiling on a knife, just curious if anyone has a solution to this that I'm not aware of. I figure with grinding off as much metal as I am, this is to be expected, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

This is a 80 grit Moldmaster, clogged up with 1095.

I use Windex on it and try to keep it wet, but the slurry always dries and clogs. I rinse/scrub with a toothbrush and frequently lap them on a diamond plate when doing heavy work like this, which helps but it doesn't take long to get back to this point, and it's often worse than this. On higher grit stones, they seem to almost glaze over and stop cutting unless I lap them.

Ideas?
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

MattM68

Re: Keeping stones from clogging

Postby MattM68 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:56 pm

I normally use a magic eraser for higher grit stones like the sharpmaker stones, but for lower grit stones I've noticed the same thing. It's a pain when trying to do heavy reprofiling.

awa54

Postby awa54 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:35 pm

I would guess that's a characteristic of the moldmaster grit matrix, I have used a few different 240 grit stones in my Hapstone Pro and the only one that did anything remotely like that was the blue "T2" Boride stone (the Boride stones seem to need a lapping before they will cut well and this stone clogged before it was lapped, no troubles afterward though).

If you can use a sintered/fused diamond plate for that kind of work it'll probably give better results, my reprofiling stone on the Hap' is an Eze Lap coarse 1x6" with the edges ground to a hollow on a bench grinder to give a more precise transition from grinding surface to the side of the stone (which sometimes has grit on it, and/or a rough texture).

...you might try soaking the stone before use too?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...

Evil D

Postby Evil D » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:29 am

I don't soak them anymore because they tend to come unglued from the EP plate when I do (I'm using 3M spray glue) but I do run water over them until they're saturated.

The higher grit but still low grit...320+, tend to clog less probably because they're less porous but I do find I need to clean them to keep them cutting.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

Bloke

Postby Bloke » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:05 pm

I too use Windex and I don't let it dry.

I've found by keeping the stone wet and using a stiff bristled artist brush I can get like a lather going that cleans the stone. I do this every time I change sides and somethings in between.

It keeps my stones clean, but everything dripping Windex! :eek:

I think the trick may be in not letting the stone dry. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

mattman

Postby mattman » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:50 pm

No personal experience, but I recall someone using Simple Green... Cliff, maybe?

If I were having this issue, I might try simple green, hoping that it would not evaporate as fast...

(I use diamond plate at this stage)

Dr. Snubnose

Postby Dr. Snubnose » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:53 am

Ohhh nooooo my stones are clogging (Yikes!!!) Try this one..... works for me......put them in the kitchen sink and spray them thick with Easy Off Fume Free. You can get it at Lowe's, the supermarket or Wal-mart. It's in a blue spray can. It will lift grime and oil and swarf out of the stone. Spray it on, let it sit 10 minutes and then spray with the dishwasher sprayer while brushing with a stiff brush. Flip the stones over and do the other side. Repeat several times if they're really bad. Make sure not to forget to do the sides and ends also. To slow down the clogging process once cleaned....lapping often should help.....Doc:)

_centurio_

Postby _centurio_ » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:40 am

I use WD40 on my Norton India stones, works perfectly fine for me.

Br oliver

paladin

Postby paladin » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:48 pm

I use Bar keepers' Secret and a nylon toothbrush in the washroom sink after <nearly> every usage of my stones 600 & coarser...I seldom go higher than that for EDC edges anyways...

seems like the BKS does a decent job lifting out the swarf and I don't worry about the BKS mixing in and causing grit cross contamination on those higher grits...heck if some BKS got mixed in with the matrix it may even HELP!

I may try that one day when I've got time...I'll "butter up" a Moldmaster with some BKS gruel and get to grinding like a madman, Bwahhahahahaha! :cool:
What is truth? Pontius Pilate

Donut

Postby Donut » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:58 pm

I use barkeeper's friend. It's usually by comet, but in a gold foil looking bottle.

I get that and I get one of the roughest sponges (or just a normal sponge), the barkeeper's friend does all the work. It might take a couple of applications.

But... I don't think I ever clogged up an 80 grit stone. =\
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!

Return to “Off-Topic”