Military selects Sig 320

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Military selects Sig 320

Post by Doc Dan »

I saw on the news where the Military selected the Sig P320 to replace the Beretta M9. Sig and Glock were the finalists in the trials and Sig was the final choice. It should be noted that Special Forces and the Marine Raiders were already issuing Glock and the SEALS have been issuing Sig. Apparently, the Sig somehow met the requirements slightly more than Glock did. My take on this is that the military finally has replaced that turkey M9 Beretta with firearms that have a better track record.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Re: Military selects Sig 320

Post by MacLaren »

Either Glock or Sig is a great choice imo.
I'm awfully partial to Sig Sauer though.
Of course most of my Sigs are German ones.
I am a bit of a Sig snob.
That being said, I understand the new P320 to be a really good pistol.
Thanx for the info DocDan
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Thirty years ago, while still a German company, SIG actually beat Beretta in performance with its P226, but it was more expensive to maintain, and, so, lost the competition.

This week's announcement must feel pretty good for what is now essentially an American company, especially after releasing some duds and losing some big contracts over the past decade.

SIG is just 15 minutes from where I live (done some refresher courses at their excellent Academy, and snoop the Pro Shop from time to time). I've been happy with my German SIGs and have been content to watch a friend buy the newer ones while I explored other brands. It's gonna be interesting to see what expansion SIG will need to do to meet the military plus wannabe demand for the P320.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wonder if this decision would have been any different if the Gen 5 Glocks were out, or is that what they tested against?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:I wonder if this decision would have been any different if the Gen 5 Glocks were out, or is that what they tested against?
Dang, I didnt even know there was a Gen5.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:
Evil D wrote:I wonder if this decision would have been any different if the Gen 5 Glocks were out, or is that what they tested against?
Dang, I didnt even know there was a Gen5.

Nothing has been officially released yet but there are a few leaked pics out there of the next gen 17 that I guess the FBI will be using.

Ambi slide release and mag release, no more finger grooves, rounder muzzle. I can't wait for the next 19 like this.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Nice. Smoother trigger as well I would imagine.
Looks and sounds good.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I heard somewhere that the military requested a modular pistol, so that would disqualify almost every pistol other than the P320 or the 250. Not sure if that was one of the requirements, but that's what I heard on the Internet somewhere!

I have a Glock 19, and my friend has a 320. The 320 is a great pistol, but I shoot my 19 better. I just hate when people argue about which gun is better. Both good, just depends on preference!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MattM68 wrote:I heard somewhere that the military requested a modular pistol, so that would disqualify almost every pistol other than the P320 or the 250. Not sure if that was one of the requirements, but that's what I heard on the Internet somewhere!

I have a Glock 19, and my friend has a 320. The 320 is a great pistol, but I shoot my 19 better. I just hate when people argue about which gun is better. Both good, just depends on preference!

I'm definitely Glock biased but a very large reason I don't carry a 320 is because of the cost. Apart from the admittedly pretty cool modular design, the 320 just doesn't do anything for me that my 19 doesn't do for $300 less.

I did read just a bit ago that the decision was based on the modular design. The assumption there is that guys will have their pick on frame size/etc so it caters to different hand sizes better.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

MattM68 wrote:I heard somewhere that the military requested a modular pistol, so that would disqualify almost every pistol other than the P320 or the 250. Not sure if that was one of the requirements, but that's what I heard on the Internet somewhere!

I agree. Sig & Glock both are top notch choices.
Can't really go wrong with either one imo.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I've been following this and thought the 320's modular design was intriguing, so I started to look into it more.
Found the following post by "tanksoldier," here while lurking on the Sig forum:
Where the P320 shines is as a general issue duty sidearm.

You, as an individual, can buy whatever gun you like; whatever fits your hand, your style of shooting, your budget.

Organizations have to buy one or two firearms for everybody and make them work. The ability to spend money on one "gun" and inexpensively change it to suit different shooters is an incredible benefit.

I carry the P320 FS with a FS/Large frame. Most deputies carry a FS/Medium frame. Some smaller deputies, detectives and command staff carry the Compact/ Medium frame... a few use the Compact/Small frame... one uses a Compact/ Large frame. Since switching to the P320 failures to qualify have reduced noticeably. I attribute that at least in part to the ability to fit the gun to the shooter, especially in the cases of the "non shooters".

I also carry the P320 Subcompact/Small as my backup and off duty gun. It's the same manual of arms as my primary, it can use the same magazines and I can qualify with it on the same course as my primary. Is it what I would pick if I was completely independent? Maybe, maybe not. I've carried a LOT of guns over the years... but this one works, suits my current situation and gets the job done. It has my confidence. If I were to leave the department tomorrow I'd probably continue to carry the P320 Subcompact/ Small.

The P320 isn't intended to be a Jedi's lightsaber. It's intended to be a stormtrooper's blaster. If you're Jedi and can buy your own weapon, buy a lightsaber. Most cops and Soldiers aren't Jedi... and if you ARE a Jedi and have to make do with a blaster, the P320 will get the job done just fine.
:spyder:
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Army chooses Sig. Yup and a lot of that decision is based on the lowest bid.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Evil D wrote:

I'm definitely Glock biased but a very large reason I don't carry a 320 is because of the cost. Apart from the admittedly pretty cool modular design, the 320 just doesn't do anything for me that my 19 doesn't do for $300 less.

I did read just a bit ago that the decision was based on the modular design. The assumption there is that guys will have their pick on frame size/etc so it caters to different hand sizes better.

Is the price really that much higher? I was under the impression they were very comparable. Both my friend and I are under 21, but over 18, so we can't buy pistols from a FFL for another year. My Glock was $500 new, with Trijicon HD sights, and 3 mags. My friends Sig was $550, without night sights, and 2 mags. I feel like I got the better deal, but that's not a huge difference. I'll look up MSRP though!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MattM68 wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Is the price really that much higher? I was under the impression they were very comparable. Both my friend and I are under 21, but over 18, so we can't buy pistols from a FFL for another year. My Glock was $500 new, with Trijicon HD sights, and 3 mags. My friends Sig was $550, without night sights, and 2 mags. I feel like I got the better deal, but that's not a huge difference. I'll look up MSRP though!

Dang you're right, Bud's has the compact listed for $514.99 and the 19 for $562.38. If I didn't already have my 19 I'd definitely be at the range doing some serious comparisons. I may still.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I know Im a Sig guy. But when it comes between the Glock and the Sig P320 I actually prefer Glock. The 17/22/31 models fit my hand really well.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Just found out that there will be an X-Five version of the P320. You guys should check that out. Its a lot of pistol for $850
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/art ... ve-pistol/#
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Just learned from a friend that SIG is building a plant in Arkansas. Can't find enough machinists in NH. Besides, NH has second-highest energy costs in US.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

wrdwrght wrote:Just learned from a friend that SIG is building a plant in Arkansas. Can't find enough machinists in NH. Besides, NH has second-highest energy costs in US.
Yeah....they have a lot of job openings for machinists.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I was involved in the boondoggle that gave us the M9, testers were split between the SIG and the S&W entries... That tie was broken not by the users/testers, it was broken by the bean counters in the Pentagon when Beretta stated it would build a factory in the US. And I just know that the fully engraved, gold accented walnut boxed pistols given to about 12 general officers the month before the decision was made had absolutely nothing to do with it. Nope.... Not a thing to do with it.

As far as the SIG 320, knowing soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines as well as I do, I guarantee that there will be lots of accidental discharges, injuries and probably a few deaths with the change over.

Always remember... Your gear was made by the lowest bidder.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Here is a new article on this topic: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/che ... 35057d3fa4
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050