Driving/Traffic rant

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Re: Driving/Traffic rant

Post by Evil D »

willc wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 1:32 pm
The thing that gets me is excessive braking on the highway.
Even in heavy but moving traffic I can usually go my entire ride, 20 or so miles, without touching my brakes.

It seems like people don’t realize that letting off the accelerator slows the vehicle.

Those people are typically also tailgating the heck out of someone, which is the #1 reason for traffic jams.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
willc

Post by willc »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:18 pm
Give this a read..

https://www.csail.mit.edu/news/improvin ... ating-less
Good read.
Yes tailgating then braking causes the “accordion effect “ which slows traffic for no good reason.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Here is a "road rage" question: Who is in the right and who is in the wrong and what would the law say in this situation?

You are in a car driving on a multi-use road, meaning both vehicles and pedestrians. You have the green light to go, but suddenly a pedestrian comes running across the road, and you hit the brakes. They are unharmed but very enraged/angry, and the pedestrian runs up to your car, and begins to strike/pound on the hood of your vehicle, cussing and yelling that even though you have the right of way, they are on foot, and therefore, get the right of way regardless.

In this situation, if they do damage to your vehicle, are they legally liable and what do you do if they, say, put a dent in your hood (either with their bare hands or with an object like a key or something) and try to run away, before you can get any insurance information from them? Are you, the driver, expected to let them get away with that, or what? I once heard of something like that happening where a pedestrian had a walking stick and started striking the hood of the driver's car, even though the driver had the right of way and the pedestrian did not.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I live in a super rural area. All I have to deal with are hippies and elderly people driving 10mph under the speed limit and the speed limit is only 50mph here. I have just learned to never be in a hurry. That fits my personality well anyway. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well like the point I made earlier about myself being a very pro-liberty and pro-Constitution and I'm 100% for personal liberties as long as no one else is affected. I literally hate tobacco with a passion but on the other hand I will protect anyone's right to destroy themselves with it if that's what they choose. But overall I pretty much give people far more space than your average American would. With that said I'm just going to come right out and say it>> Something absolutely has to be done about this "CELL PHONE INSANITY" :mad: Which I believe has caused more road rage, traffic accidents and worse yet thousands of needless traffic fatalities and horrific permanent injuries >> over what?? yeah a completely meaningless, stupid phone call that could indeed wait until they are off the road.

So until someone or some group of people in power gets the spinal column to get laws on the books and rigidly enforced them and put a stop to this "CELL PHONE INSANITY" :mad: If they don't do that soon then the "Funeral Industry" will be a great place to invest your money because I do believe it will get that bad and in the very immediate future I might add :mad: