Michael D Echanis - Authorized Biography

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Greg Walker

Michael D Echanis - Authorized Biography

Post by Greg Walker »

After four years of research, travel, interviews, and federal FOIAs there is to be an authorized biography about Michael D Echanis.

The Echanis Family has given its blessing for me to author a coffee table style book about Mike's life, the first and only time such permission has been given.

The book will feature never before seen photos, illustrations, and material - much of it hand-written or drawn by Echanis himself - to include first time confirmation of he and Chuck Norris having known each other, trained with each other, certified each other in their respective arts, and Mike's having taught an Norris' karate school in Virginia Beach prior to going to Nicaragua.

Given Spyderco's successful introduction of the Warrior combat knife and its accompanying brochure featuring Echanis' affiliation with the original design from HWD Master Randy Wanner, the book will make due mention of how the mystique of Mike Echanis brought this popular model into being. Several Gerber MK1 and MKII knives belonging to Mike have been located, and there will also be photos of knives and other edged weapons Mike used at Fort Bragg and Little Creek, Virginia, while training both Special Forces and SEAL Team 2 in 1976/1977.

Finally, the true story of how Echanis came to be in Nicaragua and what he did while there, and how the plane he was a passenger in came to crash killing all onboard, will finally be told to include how President Somoza personally saw Mike, Chuck Sanders, and Bobby Lee Nguyen returned to the United States for burial...with a 5th Special Forces ODA sent to act as the uniformed honor guard under the command of legendary Son Tay Raider Vladimir "Jake" Jakovenko.

Along the course of the research and multiple articles published by myself in Black Belt Magazine, Soldier of Fortune, and The Blast (UDT SEAL Association quarterly magazine), the Echanis Family and I were blessed to see their son and brother inducted into the Black Belt Hall of Fame in 2013, and just this week into the Special Forces Association.

Greg Walker (Retired)
USA Special Forces
Portland, Oregon
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Michael D Echanis - Authorized Biography

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you for this excellent update, Mr. Greg Walker. I am looking forward to this book!

I have your books, "Battle Blades" and "KA-BAR: The Next Generation of Fighting Knives." These are two of my favorite books. You are an amazing author and give very detailed descriptions and real-life experience on edged tools.

God bless you and thank you for your service, sir.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I await the book with anticipation...
Particular Baptist

Post by Particular Baptist »

Hmm... Were it not for all the rare Baptist works I have, and the some fifty or a hundred works on various subjects in print, I would love to read this book. At this point, though, if I take in any more, there might be a mutiny! Perhaps one day as a fellow author I would enjoy picking it up. What is the title?
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Proposed title is on the down-low for now.

I'm taking my time with the project with finished manuscript date of August 2017.

Still awaiting results of FOIA to CIA regarding Echanis - I expect to see response in 60-90 days from them.

And just obtained treasure trove of hand-written notes, drawings, and documents that Mike left with two close martial arts friends now 40 years ago.

As well as photos, another of Mike's black belts (TKD black belt) that he left stored in Virginia Beach prior to going to NIC, and so on.

The book will present an enormous amount of new / never before known information, steering away from the 1970s origin Black Belt and SOF magazines articles that many have relied on ... and have been shown to be, in some areas, weak or outright in error regarding aspects of Echanis.

In early 2016, Commander (ret) Skip Crane and I were blessed to publish an 18 month long investigative report in the UDT SEAL Association's quarterly magazine, "The Blast", on what happened to Navy SEAL Joe Camp, hired and working with Mike in NIC when he was killed in June 1978, and what Mike was really doing para-military wise for both the Somoza and our government at the time of his death several months later. Fifteen pages in all - huge for a magazine article - one that brought significant and positive peace/closure for Joe Camp's now adult son and extended family.

I have been in touch with the HWD folks in LA for some time now. And will likely personally interview Dr. Lee/GM Lee this summer as to specifics not yet explored regarding their student/senior military H2H instructor at the time.

It's nice to be writing again after so many years away - and in the martial arts realm - and about someone as interesting as MDE :).
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sounds like an excellent project, Greg. Best of luck with the writing. Hope I will have the chance to read it some day.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Mr Greg Walker, will there be included in this book a good number of photos of the various "Warrior" knives from over the years, including the Al Mar and Spyderco versions?
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Likely not.

As now accurately reflected in the Public Record the "Echanis Warrior Knife" was design authored by Hwa Rang Do Master Randy Wanner in Los Angeles, circa 1976. According to Wanner the only attention paid to it by Echanis was a passing glance at the drawings he'd made and the comment it should feature a serration of some sort.

Fast-forward post MDE's death -

I reviewed a letter sent by Randy to the Echanis family very shortly after Mike's death. Randy was introducing himself/Bob Taylor to the family and asking for further discussion regarding a commemorative knife project where the fledgling Warrior knife he'd designed would be titled the "Echanis Warrior Knife". The family did not respond to the letter although Pat Echanis, MDE's mom, felt Randy was always the perfect gentleman in his contact with them. There is only one time the Warrior is referred to as the "Echanis Warrior" and that's in an article Randy wrote for SOF, post MDE death, on sentry removal, in which one of the few handmade Wanner Warriors was featured in the photography.

Spyderco's revised brochure/booklet on its Warrior model offers a beautiful array of photographs covering the Wanner / Al Mar / REKAT / Spyderco versions and variations.

Mike Echanis always preferred the Gerber MK II fighting knife, and then the MK I after he began teaching at Fort Bragg. He also trained/taught with the KABAR Fighting-Utility Knife as photos from his programs at Camp A.P. Hill with the UDT/SEALs reveal. His own collection shows a broad array of edged weapons to include machetes, of which he was a big fan/proponent of.
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you for the clarification and information. I am looking forward to this upcoming book.
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Much good research accomplished on this.

Visit with Dr. Joo Bang Lee coming up. He offers it is the first time anyone since MDE's passing who has written something about him / HRD has requested to do so / interview. Will be very interesting.

Mike's military career now documented to include assignment to C Co Ranger in VN with letters written home from overseas.

And the "missing years" of martial arts study/training in Boise, Idaho, now being documented (Jon's Karate Studio).

It is comng together as a very interesting and informative book.

More to follow in the coming months.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Excellent news Mr. Walker. Thanks for keeping MDE alive in spirit.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Best of luck on the book!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Some interestingac new facts -

Sergeant Chuck Sanders was a member (Junior Medic) of SGM (ret) Jake Jakovenko's Special Forces detachment and because of this he was a member of the interim counter terrorist unit, Blue Light.

Mike Echanis attended and graduated from the Special Forces Qualification Course and 2nd Phase (Light Weapons), Class 70-18, before withdrawing and requesting immediate assignment to Vietnam for combat duty. His request was granted and upon his arrival in VN he was assigned to the 173rd ABN, then interviewed and accepted for recon duty at Company C (RGR), 75th Infantry. He completed the 173rd's one week jungle school and then the 3 week C Company recon course held at An Khe (the unit was in transition and all those who had not yet attended MACV Recondo went through a company centric course in the month of April 1970).

The first draft of the manuscript is underway - looking to finish in December of this year.
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

On March 25th of this year I visited Supreme Grandmaster Joo Bang Lee at Hwa Rang Do headquarters in Tustin, California.

We interviewed for 3 hours and then, on behalf of the Echanis Family, I presented one of Mike's HRD uniforms and black sashes to Dr. Lee for display at the dojang. We had a most enjoyable time - much good information - many myths, half-truths, and outright nonsense cleared up. Mike is now once again appropriately represented in Hwa Rang Do.

MDE was inducted into the Black Belt Hall of Fame in 2013. On January 20, 2017, at the request of SGM (ret) Jake Jakovenko (legendary Ranger/ Special Forces Soldier and close friend of Mike's and his family), along with a complete documentation packet, the Special Forces Association inducted Mike into the SFA as member in good standing.

Finally, this March a complete documentation packet was sent to the C Company (Ranger), 75th INF fraternal chapter of the Ranger Association. MDE's official service record, awards and decorations, duty with C Company (RGR), with additional information is now officially included in the chapter's records.
SpyderEdgeForever

Greg, if I may ask, though it is slightly different, but somewhat related, as well, what are your thoughts on EK combat knives, the original ones of WW2 all the way to the latest ones, and the whole EK thing, and how they were used by Marine Raiders and others? That always fascinated me. John Ek originally seemed to prefer a combat/commando knife that had no guard, because, according to him, the guard snagged on uniforms and clothing and equipment, and, if the handle itself was properly designed (the right indentations and construction), then one could use it for its purposes without worrying that their hand or fingers would slip and get cut. I read where he did a test for the War Department, and greased up his hand, and gripped one of his knives, and stabbed the blade so deep into a piece of wood that they could not pull it out, and his hand was secure on it the whole time.

Recently, KaBar knives has reintroduced some Ek knife patterns, but they use 1095 carbon steel instead of the original alloy or the alloys used on Ek Knives from the WW2 through 1980s. And they use Nylon-based handle slabs instead of the original wood or micarta.
Taldozer

Post by Taldozer »

Mr Walker,

Any word to put out on the MDE book?

Cheers!
Troy
RLTW/DOL!
Some1

Post by Some1 »

Interesting
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Update - Echanis Biography

With now nearly six years of research completed the 1st draft of MDE's biography is well underway and projected for completion soon.

Two weeks ago I was in Ontario, Oregon, for the 40th memorial anniversary of his passing. Beautiful flower arrangements were sent by Dr. Joo Bang Lee and the HRD Family, CDR (ret) Skip Crane and the SEAL community, and others. SGM (ret) Jake Jakovenko, Son Tay Raider and one of Mike and Chuck's closest friends, has had a brass plate with Mike's name installed at the Special Forces Museum, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

Along with his induction into the Black Belt Hall of Fame and Special Forces Association, this year Mike's military record and achievements with several photos will be included at the Basque Museum in Boise, Idaho. MDE's cousin, Major Joseph Y. Echanis, Presumed Dead, Laos, 1969, is also portrayed at the museum in Boise.

Along the way I was successful in seeing Gary O'Neal's book "American Warrior" revealed to be the sad commentary, where MDE is concerned, that it is. Gary's co-author, the noted writer David Fisher, reviewed the evidence I presented him and personally called the Echanis Family to apologize for his being taken in by O'Neal. He then sent the below letter to the Ontario Argus Observer in public support of his call. Mr. Fisher is a class act, indeed.

https://www.argusobserver.com/opinion/l ... 6d647.html

That said, a few things forthcoming in Mike's book - to include the discovery of MDE's lost writings, photos, and manuscripts

1. The original reason MDE sought out Dr. Joo Bang Lee's help

2. Mike's ranking as a black belt in five martial arts, who he trained with and ranked him, to exclude his boxing training/fights

3. The true story of Mike's military career, awards, decorations, severity of his multiple wounds, medical discharge, and the overcoming of his combat related disabilities

4. Mike's introduction and relationship with Chuck Norris, Bill Wallace, Aaron Norris, and his aspirations to begin a film career

5. The role Soldier of Fortune magazine played that you never read about (Nicaragua)

6. Who "the mysterious Vietnamese" Bobby Van Nguyen, buried next to Mike, was and his role in Nicaragua

7. The strange sad story of Navy SEAL Joe Camp's disappearance and death revealed (Nicaragua)

8. Sgt Chuck Sanders, 5th Special Forces Group, the "most lethal" of Mike's assembled team and why

9. The "Echanis Warrior" - the HRD fighting knife that never was

10. Things the CIA never wanted you to know about Mike Echanis in Nicaragua

11. The now confirmed cause of the plane crash on September 8, 1978, that took the lives of GRAL Alegrett, MDE, Chuck Sanders, and Captain Bobby Nguyen Van Nguyen

12. The true account of bringing the boys home to Oregon for burial and the Legend of Mike Echanis 40 years later

It is an amazing story, the journey to tell it equally so.
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:33 pm
"Greg, if I may ask, though it is slightly different, but somewhat related, as well, what are your thoughts on EK combat knives, the original ones of WW2 all the way to the latest ones, and the whole EK thing, and how they were used by Marine Raiders and others..."

Just saw your question and I apologize for the long, long delay in responding.

John Ek designed and made close quarter combat knives that went into immediate use by our Armed Forces throughout the world. They were proven both in testing/evaluation and "on the ground" against fierce and determined enemies. I have always honored and appreciated the Ek knives, with the sole exclusion of those produced under the Ek brand by the former founder of BJ Knives, now (thankfully) so many years ago.

I came across two such knives, put out on the market toward the end of that nightmare, that were not sharpened...at all. One the Ek dagger, the other the "modern" Ek bowie. Thankfully the wonderful brand name and important part of US military knife history is again in good hands.

Regarding your question about guards - I rely, as always, on what Al Mar once shared with me in an interview published in Soldier of Fortune magazine. "Double edge, double guard - Single edge, single guard".
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Thank you for the update Greg. I am excited about the book.